Author Topic: Book Thread Continued  (Read 1073027 times)

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Book Thread Continued
« Reply #420 on: September 06, 2008, 01:05:48 PM »
There's a lot of good stuff in what remains, but also some things that people hated.  Even the ending has people divided.  I liked it and thought it made sense for the series, other people hated it.  In my opinion, there's nothing that sucks nearly bad enough to make it worth stopping over.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Adapheon

• The original hobo with a shotgun
    • View Profile
Re: Book Thread Continued
« Reply #421 on: September 08, 2008, 11:26:24 AM »
So I finished reading Toll the Hounds by Steven Erikson and I have to say sometimes his writing style is a little clunky, this book was a lot different than the 7 that came before it in terms of narration and style but it was still an amazing book and this dude knows how to write a story. In terms of world building, Middle-Earth seems bland and lifeless in comparison. I couldn't sleep at all after finishing it, the book got every part of my brain working and sleep was not an option.

Also for a series that is based around several wars, both small and large scale, there was actually very little fighting. Also as with a lot of the more recent fantasy novels no character is safe and everything from the lowliest human characters to some of the most major gods die in this book. It's not as big a deal as with say George Martin where the true cast of characters is fairly small and once a character dies (at least so far with one exception) they are gone forever from the story. Not quite a true in the Malazan world where dying can be just another step in the ladder towards godhood and in general the series probably has like 20-30 main characters and a supporting number of characters twice that number at least. A lot of them are dead now, but not all of them. There's still two books left though :P

I honestly feel if anyone is interested in all epic fantasy this series is one to read, not try-out, but read the whole thing. The first book is somewhat badly written, I read half of it and put it down and like 6 months later started reading it again just to say I finished it and the last 1/4 of the book made it impossible to not buy the second book the day afterwards. Almost everything that happens is going to affect something in the next book or possibly the one afterwards in some way that you'd never imagine. There's still stuff from the second and third book that hasn't gone anywhere and I'm sure they'll pop their heads up somewhere in book 9 and 10 (the planned end of the series is book 10, then he is going to write an encyclopedia of the world, then a trilogy prequel, then a trilogy sequel. At least that's the contract that he signed says he's going to do)

CastNuri

• AMG A GIRL
  • There are no coincidences.
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 08, 2008, 02:30:52 PM »
Whoah. New board layout? I need to be here more often.

I'm currently reading "Passage to India". It started off a little slow but I'm beginning to like it. Definitely has that sort of Asian flavour that I get whenever I'm reading something Malaysian or Indian-Malaysian. Also bought a copy of "The Three Musketeers" that I really, really feel like delving into but I can't until I'm finished with my school-assigned things.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com

Kyle

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 08, 2008, 02:47:02 PM »
I finished Atlus Shrugged yesterday, and I must say it is probably the most profound, well written book I've read, and it may be my new favorite. No book has given me so much to think about in so clear a fashion. My mind was fucked and pumped full of delicious, juicy intellect, and I'm a changed man.
"The things that make us happy make us wise."

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 08, 2008, 06:19:18 PM »
My mind was fucked and pumped full of delicious, juicy intellect, and I'm a changed man.

Whatever you say.

Unless there really is an Atlus Shrugged, in which case I want to know more.

Oh, as for myself: reading The Razor's Edge. I think it's decent so far.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 06:22:29 PM by Eusis »

Kyle

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 08, 2008, 06:30:37 PM »
That comic was pretty thoughtful. Obviously the author was unable to comprehend what he or she read on the philosophy. And I assume that he or she did read something. They did, right?

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 08, 2008, 06:39:43 PM »
That comic was pretty thoughtful. Obviously the author was unable to comprehend what he or she read on the philosophy. And I assume that he or she did read something. They did, right?
He read it, yes. He made this before doing so, was called out on not reading it, then read it and made the comic I linked before.

Kyle

• Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 08, 2008, 08:33:39 PM »
Perhaps he should read it again. Obviously, he didn't "get" it.

Hidoshi

• Fire in the Thunderclap
  • Administrator
  • Filthy Casual
    • View Profile
    • ConBravo!
« Reply #428 on: September 08, 2008, 08:49:45 PM »
Bookworm Fight! :D

Also, Eus, if you like the book, the original black and white movie starring Tyrone Power is excellent as an accompaniment. The Bill Murray version from the 80's is... substantially awful.

Currently re-reading Rendezvous with Rama, one of my favourite sci-fi books as a kid.

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 09, 2008, 02:53:43 AM »
There's a lot of good stuff in what remains, but also some things that people hated.  Even the ending has people divided.  I liked it and thought it made sense for the series, other people hated it.  In my opinion, there's nothing that sucks nearly bad enough to make it worth stopping over.

So far, book 5 is okay. I'm at the part where Susannah is at the hotel and Mia has just been talking on the phone to her boss.

I'm surprised that book 5 is so short - only 400 or so pages! Practically a short story in this series!
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Raze

• View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 09, 2008, 03:13:57 AM »
 After finding out Joss Whedon did some comics, read some Joss Whedon comics :P

Fray, a story about a Slayer in the future was decent enough way to pass time, but far from him at his best.

Buffy season 8 is great. Good to get back into the series and the comic lets them go a bit more over the top then they could on tv. My favorite one though actually went away from the main cast and starts with the death of a slayer posing as a decoy for Buffy, who narrates her story after the fact, which was really good stuff.

What really amazed me though was his run with the X-men. It's everything about Whedon that's great and he's at his absolute best here. From the storytelling, to his humor to his ability to write a great female protagonist. It just bleeds his style. Having just watched the cartoons and first two movies I'd never seen Kitty Pryde before(At least not beyond a quick cameo). But you can't not fall in love with her. It's impossible.

Really, next time they make a x-men move he needs put behind the wheel, because he blew me away.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 03:15:31 AM by Raze »

Dincrest

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #431 on: September 11, 2008, 09:44:08 PM »
What I've read recently:

The Namesake- except for the incessant whining of the mother that encompassed the first 50 pages, the book was pretty good. 

I read the first two graphic novel volumes of Paradigm Shift by Dirk I. Tiede.  I'm really looking forward to vol.3, which is already underway in webcomic form.  But I'm waiting for the book. 

I also read this comic called "Dark Blue" by Warren Ellis.  Great illustrations, insanely violent, dialogue was quite liberal with curse words (though it made sense why toward the end), and it seems like something that would make a pretty cool movie. 
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 12, 2008, 02:10:41 AM »
Perhaps he should read it again. Obviously, he didn't "get" it.
Well, he may just think the philosophy (and the book itself) is bullshit! I'm not familiar enough with the book to speak fairly on that, but what I know about objectivism (admittedly mostly thanks to Bioshock) doesn't sound that great to me.

Anyways! I finished The Razor's Edge and thought it was pretty great, not sure I'll check out the movie though after seeing the comments made in the introduction to the version I read, but if I did it'd definitely be the one you recommended Mark. I'm moving on to Siddhartha and picking back up A Game of Thrones since that was voted as the book to read at the other forum I go to, and I was kinda waiting on that.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 02:15:04 AM by Eusis »

Hidoshi

• Fire in the Thunderclap
  • Administrator
  • Filthy Casual
    • View Profile
    • ConBravo!
« Reply #433 on: September 12, 2008, 03:34:10 PM »
Siddhartha's so-so. A lot of people like it, but I don't think they understand its background, nor how 'un-Buddhist' it actually is. It's extremely influenced by the thoughts of Krishnamurti, who to say the least was a psuedo-guru, and at the very most a corrupt asshole who fucked over a lot of people. Very "you don't need a teacher to learn things properly", blah blah blah -- basically the whole self-indulgent train of thought that gave us the horribly diluted version of new age beliefs a lot of people go on about these days.

A good companion to Siddhartha is Bones of the Master by George Crane. It offers a similar voyage, only as an actual autobiography and with a slightly more realistic view of the learning process.

Eusis

• View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 12, 2008, 05:15:53 PM »
Duly noted, but on a similar topic I wonder if you have anything to say on Lord of Light? I've had it for awhile, but haven't gotten around to reading yet.