Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Insert clever quip here.
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
Re: Book Thread Continued
« Reply #2010 on: September 01, 2018, 08:35:33 PM »
A couple of chapters into Orchestra of Treacheries and liking it.  It seems like chess pieces are being moved around, but it doesn't feel like characters are just sitting around doing nothing. 

On another note, anyone here members of Pottermore?  I decided to make a Pottermore account on a whim.  Pottermore sorted me into Ravenclaw.  Every Sorting Hat quiz I've taken either puts me in Hufflepuff or Ravenclaw, but though I think I'm a better fit in Hufflepuff, I think Ravenclaw would challenge me in a good way.

I also found my Patronus.  It's a Siberian Cat.  At first I was iffy about that choice since I'm more of a dog person and might be mildly allergic to cats.  However, the more I read about Siberian Cats, the more I can dig them.  They apparently have more doglike personalities and their saliva produces less of the compound that triggers allergies, making them a viable choice for people like me.  And looking back at the Moon Nuzlocke I chronicled for RPGFan, my Litten/Torracat (named Bam Bigelow) was an absolute warrior.  So perhaps my Patronus is he: http://www.rpgfan.com/features/Pokemon_Moon_Nuzlocke_Challenge/index.html
I could also see it being like Reginald in vol. 3 of Michael Alan Nelson's Hexed: The Harlot and the Thief comic series.  Hexed= my favorite comic series.

I've heard that a LOT of people were horribly dissatisfied with their Pottermore Patronuses.  I was a bit iffy on mine, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that as long as it protects me from Dementors, my Patronus could be a runty goldfish for all I care. 

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 08:44:19 PM by Dincrest »
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: September 04, 2018, 05:21:56 PM »
I finished reading The Name of the Wind a couple of weeks ago (thankfully before the semester started). I honestly don't really see what the big deal about it is. Don't get me wrong, it's a good start to a fantasy series, but outside of some better than average prose for a fantasy novel, it seemed pretty generic to me. I'm still going to check out The Wise Man's Fear and The Slow Regard of Silent Things, but I probably won't get to those for a while.

Since the semester started, I'm spending most of my reading time working on homework. I am reading One Lonely Night by Mickey Spillane though since it's pulpy and fun. I have to say though that I think these books are violent to the point of satire. The violence is frankly pretty ridiculous. Anyway, it's the fourth book in the Mike Hammer series, and Mike is fighting Russian spies (it was published in the 50s).

Dincrest

• Public Relations Nightmare
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Insert clever quip here.
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #2012 on: September 04, 2018, 06:12:29 PM »
I tried reading In the Name of the Wind due to all the praise it got, but I just couldn't get into it.  I was not a fan of the protagonist at all. 

I'm about 6 chapters into Orchestra of Treacheries and am liking it a lot.  Yeah the series has its flaws, but I'm having a great time with it.  Chess pieces are moving, major and minor players are all trying to outfox each other in this realm's game of thrones.  In Game of Thrones (literally), Cersei Lannister says that when you play the game of thrones, you either win or your die.  There is no middle ground.  There's a new character who definitely has me intrigued.  I like her thought about how self-important men vying for power get so blinded by their arrogance that their plans always have the fatal flaw of relying on the opposition being stupid.  I also like that though things are getting set up, it doesn't feel like there's a lull in the action and characters are just sitting around doing nothing.

UPDATE: Halfway through Orchestra of Treacheries and it's really opening up.  The worldbuilding is expanding with the princess on a foreign diplomacy mission, yet back at home the power players are making more brazen moves since the meddling princess isn't around to throw a wrench in their machinations.  When the cat's away, the mice will play.  I've digging Princess Kaiya's development.  She's 18 in this book (she was 16 in book 1) and though she is noticeably more mature, she's still a believable teenage girl who's prone to flights of fancy. 

On another note, I think The Dragon Songs Saga series could adapt well to movies.  Visually stunning settings, storylines that are both intriguing yet easy enough to follow, cool characters, and slick martial arts action.  It's Game of Thrones meets Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.  And with Hollywood codifying/fetishizing Asians as its current "hey, look at me!  Diversity" flavor of the month, this could become a thing.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 06:29:34 PM by Dincrest »
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously." 
     -Hubert H. Humphrey