Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 01, 2014, 10:09:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335320 Posts in 13730 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Zelda: Phantom Hourglass  (Read 3113 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2007, 06:36:41 PM »

New thread time since the last one's from well over a year ago, and looking at the Japanese site it appears to be hitting there in, uhh, 6 days. Or is it really 5 since it might be tomorrow there already? Whatever, 6/23.

I'm cautiously optimistic because of the complete stylus control, but mostly optimistic since it sounds like Shigeru Miyamoto's heavily involved. For anyone interested, interview with him I found on another forum. The cross pad comment is WTF though. Might be referring to the buttons or just the whole configuration and not just the d-pad, but if it really is just the d-pad, I fail to see how that's complicated.
Tria
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 11:58:41 AM »

I have it preordered, even though I'm not really looking forward to it.  I just want to get it so that I have it early to review it.  But I really don't like the stylus, so it might hurt my liking of what could be a great game.  I loved Wind Waker, and it's my favorite Zelda title, so hopefully this will hold well.

Currently Playing (Console) - Star Ocean: The Second Story, Rogue Galaxy, Oblivion (PS3), Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (PS3)

Currently Playing (Handheld) - Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man ZX

Currenty Playing (PC) - Nothing...Ever
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
hm
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 12:38:25 PM »

I wish Nintendo would give us the OPTION of using traditional control schemes. It was bad enough that in TP they wouldnt let you use a gamecube/classic controller.

Personally im not that interested now, maybe if they had the game sideways like Ninja Gaiden DS it would have been better, since using a full stylus control in a game covers parts of the screen when the DS is held normally.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 04:00:54 PM »

I think its best to just approach this one from an open perspective. They're obviously trying a lot of new things, so don't expect Link to the Past. But, I have little question that it will hold to the overall Zelda look & feel very well. I can honestly say that I think all the Zelda games are top grade, even the Capcom produced ones (Minish Cap was incredible). I guess the only one I found a little "meh" was four-swords adventure, because Zelda is an epic, and multiplayer has a tendancy to ruin epic games. This one seems to be mostly single-player, but with a multiplayer addition.

I'm really hoping they get the sailing right this time. The IDEA is good, but WW wasn't able to pull it off, this one looks a lot better.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 06:37:43 PM »

The impression I got from the interview is that they're basically doing the same thing with Zelda that FFXII did with FF.

It'll probably be as divisive as FFXII, too.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 10:00:29 PM »

Quote from: "Lord Scottish"
The impression I got from the interview is that they're basically doing the same thing with Zelda that FFXII did with FF.

It'll probably be as divisive as FFXII, too.

FFXII, divisive? I dunno if I agree with that. FFX-2 was divisive, but from what I've seen, most everyone at least somewhat enjoyed FFXII, though some, such as myself, left feeling like it was lacking something (a soul).

Honestly, I really don't understand how that analogy fits, though.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 10:10:21 PM »

Someone missed a thread!

I do think people will be upset regardless, but Shigeru Miyamoto's always been able to design a game well for the control method as far as I've seen, and is the most legendary game designer for a reason. Even with that aside, he did start as a toymaker as I recall... So I figure he'd know how to make using something fun.

By the way, Youtube link of one of the new commercials in Japan. This seems to give a decent idea of how it'll play.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 11:01:18 PM »

Interesting. As a TV commercial producer, I was extremely fascinated by the presentation of this commercial:

Phantom Hourglass - June 14

It's just so spare and full of space... she's obviously concentrating really hard, and it makes the viewer concentrate really hard too. Unfortunately, I don't think this kind of commercial would EVER fly in the states. If I brought a spec spot like this to a client, I'd probably get laughed out of the room. Too bad.

Although, I think it probably has some of the same philosophy as Apple's sparer commercials.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 05:35:01 PM »

IGN hands on preview.

I'm not going to be too worried about the controls, I think. It's not like TP where a game designed without that in mind got shoved in, and that wound up turning out great anyway.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2007, 09:10:32 PM »

Double post after a week of inactivity to link to GameBrink's link. Haven't read it fully, I just read the positives and negative. Also, GameSpot and 1up have both got previews up, and I wouldn't be surprised if IGN had one of the final version.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2007, 11:01:32 PM »

Quote from: "Thoren"
I wish Nintendo would give us the OPTION of using traditional control schemes. It was bad enough that in TP they wouldnt let you use a gamecube/classic controller.

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/action/thelegendofzelda/index.html?tag=result;title;0

And I'm excited for Phantom Hourglass. Every preview I've seen so far has been extremely positive. The controls sound strange, but everyone that's played it has seemed to love them.

[/url]
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2007, 11:07:14 PM »

Honestly, this might be what I've been wanting out of a new Zelda. Something that changes it on a fundamental level and really mixes things up. Twilight Princess was great, but it was more or less just the perfection of the 3D Zelda model. The waggle freshened things up a bit, but not quite enough.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 10:55:24 AM »

Checked out the Gamebrink review and it sounds like a blast.  Looks like it gets added to my must-buy list for the rest of the year.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 07:28:53 AM »

Quote from: "everluck"

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/action/thelegendofzelda/index.html?tag=result;title;0

And I'm excited for Phantom Hourglass. Every preview I've seen so far has been extremely positive. The controls sound strange, but everyone that's played it has seemed to love them.

It's true that it came out for GCN, but they should have included the control scheme with the Wii version as well. RE4 did it recently, becoming the best version of the game ever.

I don't mind Nintendo trying out new things, Aonuma has said that Twilight Princess was the last "Normal" Zelda that we'll ever see. I just don't like the approach they seem to take to make games simple for casual or non-gamers. I don't think you can appeal to both the hardcore and the people who play games only a couple hours a week. Is Nintendo trying to make the game simple for people to play, or really trying to innovative? I'll have to save my judgement until I play it. My faith gets shaken sometimes by interviews, a while ago Miyamoto called the D-pad "Too Complicated"
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 07:08:36 PM »

I don't mind Nintendo trying out new things, Aonuma has said that Twilight Princess was the last "Normal" Zelda that we'll ever see.

Eh? When did that happen? -.<

[/url]
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: