Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 01:40:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329411 Posts in 13493 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  My Favorite Part About Idiotic Fanboys.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: My Favorite Part About Idiotic Fanboys.  (Read 11719 times)
Tria
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2007, 12:14:52 PM »

Okay, so you've got your two main different types of fanboys.  First, you have the nice, mature, easy-going ones that accept people's opinions, but they still are hardcore to their favorite games/developers/whatever at the same time.  You can debate with them without them calling you a moron, and you can actually have a good time.

For example.  The other day, I went to an all-nighter party that went from 6:30pm to 8:00am.  Free pizza, chips, drinks, the whole shebang.  There, I ran in to a psychotic kid named Jason.  Now, he hates games that I typically really like (Star Ocean 3, Rogue Galaxy), and I hate some games that he loves (Digital Devil Saga 2, any MMORPG).  Yet he still debated with me cleanly, and never got mad, even when I stated that "DDS2 was overhyped and unoriginal bologna that overstayed its welcome and used a plot twist that's becoming overused.  But I still loved the first one."

Next, however, can this kid name Ted.  Yes, Ted.  Don't know him?  Lucky.  He is that rabid fanboy you all know.  This guy just happens to be, yes, a Tales of Symphonia fanboy.  He has played about 10 RPGs in his life, and still calls ToS the greatest and most original RPG in existence.  But that isn't the part that made me laugh the most.  It's the part that involves him stating that one rabid fanboy response everyone has seen, yet never really thought about.

First, you'll say "ToS was awful."  Then he'll say "Beat it before you judge it!"  You'll follow that response by saying "I already did beat it."  Then, waiting and waiting, he flows his stupendously stupid lips with his golden...riveting response.

"If you hate it so much, then why did you beat it?"

YOU FUCKING MORON (sorry, just had to say it)

And he later follows this response with "You're an idiot, ToS is the best!."  And in the future, he'll state "It's my opinion, accept it!"

And that's my favorite part about them.  The irony if a lot of things they say.  A lot of it doesn't make sense, they fail to accept others, yet defend themselves as though they're taking stronghold in Rampart.  

Sorry, rant over. xP

Currently Playing (Console) - Star Ocean: The Second Story, Rogue Galaxy, Oblivion (PS3), Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (PS3)

Currently Playing (Handheld) - Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man ZX

Currenty Playing (PC) - Nothing...Ever
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 12:22:45 PM »

I hate the "it's my opinion" defense. It's a weak, cowardly cop-out. You know the person feels desperate and threatened when he pulls that gem out.

Out of those two choices, I really make an effort to stay in the first camp. It can be hard at times, but then I remember how bad I feel and how idiotic I look if I react like the second guy. Because, really, it's a debate of tastes. In these days especially, it's best to be a renaissance man, to be someone who can enjoy numerous type of art and can be tolerant of what another person deems "good," regardless of whether you agree with that person or not. It feels better, conversations flow better, and you feel...I don't know, full, or something.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 12:35:55 PM »

Ted sounds like a prat.

I like a good conversation about what's good and not good.  Even though I don't like FFXI, I won't parade around my opinions of it like it's law.  Same as I hate it when people DO act that way.

Have a conversation with me.  Listen to me and I'll listen to you.  Even if someone rips on something I like, as long as they can back up what they're saying, cool, a good conversation.

i like random game x COS I SAID SO lol accept it yo word

...Is NOT a response that I will appreciate.  :P

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 12:41:04 PM »

I'll argue to my death that FF12 was a terrible game.

And I'm  the most open minded game ever.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 12:49:55 PM »

It's just gaming.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 02:23:43 PM »

It's tough, sometimes. Especially if a game really offends your basic aesthetic sensibilities, and you turn around to find that everyone's raiving about how it's the greatest game of all time, and seems to be incredibly moved by it, somehow. It's hard not to turn your back, in disgust to anyone who would promote it... it FEELS like a personal attack on your sensibilities... you take it personally. Its like that for me with CC and SO3. On the flopside, I realize that some of my favorite games are deeply offensive to some people: FF8 being the big one.

But one problem is when you hate a game (as I have in the past) there's a tendancy to be incredibly unfair and demeaning to all that appreciate it. Sometimes usuing really snide or childish language as a way of trying to put down the title. It's unfair, I realize. One must sometimes walk on eggshells when it comes to personal preference.

I try to stay in camp 1 as much as possible... but I have really strong opinions, as I always allow myself to become emotionally involved with everything I do.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 02:59:20 PM »

I wonder how many who like to think they're better really aren't. Oh, there's some obvious examples of the second kind, but between them... Perhaps you're irrational about one specific game sucking or something? Thoren sounds like he is (I hopes that's just for defending him not liking it, not trying to convince everyone else it was shit), but I can see that even games like Xenosaga II and BK1 have their fans, games like SH:C are loved by a lot even though I just consider it an OK RPG with a decent story and cast of characters, and people won't necessarily love the two DDS games or DQVIII even though I do.

Speaking of which...
"DDS2 was overhyped and unoriginal bologna that overstayed its welcome and used a plot twist that's becoming overused. But I still loved the first one."

Code:
People turning into hermaphrodites is overused? Wha? I'm afraid to find out what I've been ignorant too. :P
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2007, 03:28:54 PM »

Well... there are some that are just plain... well... children. I have no idea how old Concrete Donkey is for instance, and I really don't care, either, but when he shoots his mouth off like that, he's an 11-year-old.

Honestly, this isn't GameFaqs. People come here because they want to have at least some semblence of civilized discussion about games. We all have our moments... and we all mindlessly screw around sometimes (like my "I live in a Shack" post), but for the most part, there are ways of speaking that are appropriate to this community, and there are those that are not.

Using continuous homophobic and derogetory statements without any real substansive commentary is not going to get you very far. At the NSider forums or GameFaqs, some people might thing its cute, but not here.

There is a difference between actual fanboy-ism and simple tasteless and thoughtless comments. The two CAN and DO go hand-in-hand, but I don't really think of these Concrete Donkey types as fanboys so much as just obnoxious little boys.

Somewhere out there, there's a Worms World Party forum that's missing it's village idiot.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2007, 03:37:55 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
It's hard not to turn your back, in disgust to anyone who would promote it... it FEELS like a personal attack on your sensibilities... you take it personally. Its like that for me with CC and SO3. On the flopside, I realize that some of my favorite games are deeply offensive to some people: FF8 being the big one.

CC being Chrono Cross?

I try to leave that one alone.

I certainly can't say I've ever found games "offensive".

Just divisive.

Same with FF 8.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2007, 03:52:41 PM »

By "offensive" I mean "offending ones sensibilities," which is a common side effect to really disliking something.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 04:12:22 PM »

The REALLY hard people to deal with are those people who can't stand you disagreeing with them. If you disagree with them, it's like a nullification of their existence. They want to kill you if you don't agree with them. They take your difference of opinion as a personal attack on them.

It's in those instances in which I pull the, "It's just my opinion, man. Geez. Calm down..."

Can't tell you how many messageboards I've been to that have been almost entirely COMPOSED of such childish pansies.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2007, 08:22:07 PM »

Quote from: "Tria"
"If you hate it so much, then why did you beat it?"

This is an amusing question, particularly for someone who clearly has an extremely limited experience with the genre.  Right off the top of my head I can remember not really caring for the entirety of FFX for a number of reasons, but the ending itself I enjoyed quite a bit despite the uneven ride before that.  When you consider that an RPG typically takes 30+ hours, it's entirely possible that at some point the game will redeem itself.  Or not, but you never know until it's over. :p

But yes in general the fanboys (I don't even care for the first scenario presented, though I fit that category myself) have never sat well with me, even when they're fanboys with views similar to mine on a given RPG or RPG series.  People just need to agree to disagree sometimes, because not everyone is going to agree with your position, especially not in what amounts to an environment such as online forums where a person has a relative anonymity.  And honestly a world where everyone did agree with all of your opinions would be dreadfully boring anyway.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2007, 09:17:20 PM »

I don't think I've argued with anyone in real life over RPGs, at least not since high school anyway.

Even on the Internet, I tend to shy away from arguments about games. I donít see the point in interjecting, unless there is a massive hole in someoneís logic that nobody else has noted.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Riverking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2007, 09:28:23 PM »

Quote from: "AJR"
I don't think I've argued with anyone in real life over RPGs, at least not since high school anyway.

Even on the Internet, I tend to shy away from arguments about games. I donít see the point in interjecting, unless there is a massive hole in someoneís logic that nobody else has noted.

I feel the same way.  I couldn't imagine taking the discussion seriously enough to actually want to argue about a RPG with another person.  

I know what I like and if someone doesn't agree with me, well that is just how life goes.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 09:48:33 PM »

Quote from: "Ryos"
People just need to agree to disagree sometimes.

Shut up, you're wrong.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: