Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 09:23:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327725 Posts in 13418 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  My Favorite Part About Idiotic Fanboys.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: My Favorite Part About Idiotic Fanboys.  (Read 11655 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2007, 09:50:41 PM »

Quote from: "AJR"
I donít see the point in interjecting, unless there is a massive hole in someoneís logic that nobody else has noted.
I'm the opposite. If there's a flaw with someone's logic, and they're just being irrational, there's no point in arguing. What I really enjoy is a good heated debate where you really get into discussing the more complex aspects of the game. That's where I find discussion/debate to be at it's fullest.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2007, 10:23:20 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
We all have our moments... and we all mindlessly screw around sometimes (like my "I live in a Shack" post)

I kinda wish that topic was left open. We could use some inoffensive goofy topics to mess around in at times... Though it could've also wound up evolving into an actual serious topic about what you live in. Whatever.

I won't deny that some opinions can be a bit obnoxious to me. It's less on whether a game's good/bad (unless it's for some stupid reason, and even then), but more like general stances. However, most of the time those come up, they're likely attempts at trolling, such as going 'what's the point of 2D?' or whatever. And some might just be opinions I once shared but don't anymore for whatever reason, like how important story is to an RPG. I'd rather argue intelligently though, rather than going 'well, you're stupid! SO STUPID!!!'
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2007, 10:39:53 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
It's just gaming.

Short and sweet like honey.  Yum, I could eat it up that how good that post was.

Anyways, its true, its not a big deal, most things arn't but people get reaallly over-worked about certain topics (whether gaming or what political party should win, or whatever).

But yeah, if you're both interested in something, you should make a decent arguement with whatever you're talking about.  Something a bit more wordier than "its just my opinion".

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2007, 11:12:10 PM »

By the way, OP.

You told the guy his favorite game sucked, even though he's really apparently not much of a gamer, and then you go online and make fun of him.

Er... Yeah.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 12:39:44 AM »

Many fanboys are dumb, but topics like this generally annoy me, because you're basically saying "I like my games in a better way than other people do!" In the end, you're arguing about games. Even if you "win" you still lose.

Tria
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 12:45:06 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
By the way, OP.

You told the guy his favorite game sucked, even though he's really apparently not much of a gamer, and then you go online and make fun of him.

Er... Yeah.

No, wrong.  I told the guy "In my opinion, Tales of Symphonia is awful."  I know the concept of "opinion", and rightfully respect other people's opinion.  And he is a big gamer.  Just not a very smart one when it comes to opinions.  We even had a debate about opinions, and he still stated he was correct

And, if you didn't notice, the thread wasn't made out to make fun of this guy.  Otherwise, I would have said "My Favorite Idiotic Fanboy."  I was just making a general observation of why I find that certain group so fun to talk to.  They'll flip their argument in less than a second if they don't know what to say.  Like when he said "Beat the game before you judge it!", I told him I did beat it, and he turns around and says "If you hated the game, why did you beat it?"  So first he wants me to beat it, and now he thinks I'm stupid for having beaten it?

I wasn't making a personal attack.  It's called making an "observation of a certain group in a harsh manner."  Take George Carlin for example.  He has made fun of probably every single thing on this earth, though how many times does he actually make a personal attack?  Very few times.  He just takes certain groups of people, and deduces why he doesn't like them.

Currently Playing (Console) - Star Ocean: The Second Story, Rogue Galaxy, Oblivion (PS3), Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (PS3)

Currently Playing (Handheld) - Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man ZX

Currenty Playing (PC) - Nothing...Ever
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2007, 04:10:05 AM »

I personally would never finish a game, RPG or not, that I considered to be awful.  Sole exception: Suikoden IV.  Anyways, I wouldn't finish Kingdom Hearts even if I were payed to.  What I'm trying to say is a game must have some merits if you're willing to "suffer" through a 30+ hour adventure.

Finished RPG Count: 90
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2007, 04:14:05 AM »

I can see a few good reasons to beat a game you didn't like, but I don't think I could do it for something I absolutely, completely detest or found /that/ boring. I was morbidly curious to see how BK would turn out in the end, and similar for Xenosaga II. And SuikIV was a subpar Suikoden, but it wasn't that bad of an RPG.

There's also the 'paid to review it' reason that pretty much trumps any game. Ofcourse, employers COULD be generous for whatever reason.
Tria
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2007, 04:13:32 PM »

I always beat an RPG after I started it.  Why?  Because there's a chance it could always get better.

Example:  The first Valkyrie Profile when I got it 7 or so years ago.  I beat it my first time with the B ending, and absolutely hated it.  But then I got the guide, and tried to get the A ending, and I realized how complicated and fantastic everything was to me.  

So ever since then, I've always tried to make it a habit for me to beat a game to see if it gets better, even if I hated it at the beginning.  ToS is a recent example.  I didn't find one good point about the game other than the graphics, but I continued on mainly to give it a chance, and because I spent $50 on it at its release date.  I beat it in three days, and have regretted it ever since.  But I would have never felt satisfied if I never gave it a chance.

Currently Playing (Console) - Star Ocean: The Second Story, Rogue Galaxy, Oblivion (PS3), Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (PS3)

Currently Playing (Handheld) - Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man ZX

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2007, 04:26:50 PM »

... But how many are seriously worth it if they don't impress you within the first, say, 10 or 20 hours? VP's an exception obviously, but most other games? At best, it's worth revisiting years later to see if your opinion on it would've changed if you ask me.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2007, 04:39:28 PM »

A response I've used that really pisses people off after they tout their right to an opinion: "You may have a right to your opinion, but I have an equal right to challenge it."  

A quote by Hubert H. Humphrey, and one of my all time favorite quotes: "The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."  

Yeah, none of what I said is in direct response to anything in this thread, but I think it's appropo.

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2007, 04:42:40 PM »

Quote from: "Tria"
ToS is a recent example.  I didn't find one good point about the game other than the graphics, but I continued on mainly to give it a chance, and because I spent $50 on it at its release date.  I beat it in three days, and have regretted it ever since.  But I would have never felt satisfied if I never gave it a chance.

Just curious, but why do you seem to hate ToS so much? I mean, it's not for everyone, but there's not a lot to "HATE" about it. It's not like it's a hugely divisive game. It's just a light-hearted, fun romp in the veign of Chrono Trigger or Lunar. I can understand not being into it, but HATING it?

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2007, 06:23:51 PM »

Anyway, I don't really mind vocal fanboys at all. The only fanboys that DO bother me are -- and these are primarily music fanboys -- ones that pick a favorite whatever, or small set of favorite whatevers, and are very exclusive and refuse to like ANYTHING else. It's weird and like they're afraid of liking multiple things.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tria
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2007, 07:30:27 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
... But how many are seriously worth it if they don't impress you within the first, say, 10 or 20 hours? VP's an exception obviously, but most other games? At best, it's worth revisiting years later to see if your opinion on it would've changed if you ask me.

I've ended up loving a lot of RPGs where I don't enjoy the beginnings.  FFVIII, SMT: Nocturne, Front Mission: Gun Hazard are just a few examples.  None of them have worthwhile beginnings in my opinion, but they grew onto me over the years.

And I always revisit games after a few years to see if my opinion changed.  I started doing that ever since Legend of Mana in 2000.  That's when I hated it because it was so weird, and unlike Secret of Mana.  But then I hit that certain "age" and began to mature and grow more intellectually (though I'm still dumb as shit), and started to love Legend of Mana for its uniqueness, and realized that sequels and stuff don't have to be like the predecessor for it to be good.

Quote from: "Prime Mover"

Just curious, but why do you seem to hate ToS so much? I mean, it's not for everyone, but there's not a lot to "HATE" about it. It's not like it's a hugely divisive game. It's just a light-hearted, fun romp in the veign of Chrono Trigger or Lunar. I can understand not being into it, but HATING it?

I just hate everything about it (except the graphics).  I hate how it is pretentious bullcrap that takes itself too seriously at times, and thinks it's changing the world with the themes it is teaching everyone.  And those themes are themes that are taught in what feels like every RPG I've ever played.  I especially hate the GOD AWFUL writing, and the equally terrible and over-the-top acting.

Everything about the game is unoriginal as well.  I've played the game through one and a half times (the last half was me attempting to make my way through it to give it a second chance, but I just couldn't with how bad it was).  Every character is a typical RPG archetype, too.  Now, I wouldn't mind that if the characters were actually interesting or better thought-out (See Star Ocean 2, which has pretty much the same cast of the three main characters).  The writing is what makes me hate them the most thought.

Don't even get me started on the music.  Motoi Sakuraba is my favorite composer, but even his less-than-mediocre songs were awful to listen to.

And the battle system....DEAR LORD the battle system.  Repetitititititive.  And not the fun kind of repetitive (like Shadow of the Colossus, or Wind Waker),  But the kind of repetitive that is so unchallenging and boring that it is super unfun.  I grew tired of the easy difficulty after about the first hour or so.  

Okay, I'll stop now.  Wait, one more.  The cutscene directing was TERRIBLE.  Okay, I'm done.

Oh, and I hate Chrono Trigger, too, and am not that fond of any of the Lunars.

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2007, 08:00:06 PM »

Quote from: "Tria"
Oh, and I hate Chrono Trigger, too, and am not that fond of any of the Lunars.

That's really all you needed to say. Puts things in a little better perspective for me.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: