Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 03:35:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330095 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Things We Hate about Star Ocean 3...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Things We Hate about Star Ocean 3...  (Read 7349 times)
Kos-mos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2007, 04:47:42 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
One thing I've always disliked about Star Ocean games-

They give you the promise of sci-fi, space travel, technology, futuristic settings... yet for the entire game, they always drop you on some backwater traditional fantasy RPG type planet.  If it's "Star Ocean" where's the ocean of stars, outer space?  

Total tease.  

I'm playing the Xenosaga games for the first time (I'm 12 hours into Xenosaga 1) and I'm thinking "wow!  Why couldn't any Star Ocean games be like this?  Futuristic stuff, space travel, going to different kinds of planets, space stations, etc."  

The promise of sci-fi and space travel always lured me to Star Ocean and it's never delivered.

...and I can't stand Motoi Sakuraba's music.  I've already given my treatise on that.

Yes! Someone else gets my biggest frustration with the Star Ocean series!

You're so right, the series really is a tease.

They suck me in in the beginnings with amazing scifi settings, detailed thought out scifi tech (getting me all into the Star Trek-ish vibe and great technobabel) and premises that span multiple worlds and vast galaxies and then you spend 3/4 of the games on backwater planets.  I was into the early moments of SO3 when you're going between scifi-ish environments and on the run from super powerful alien spaceships...and then... you're on backwater worlds for 90% of the game.  One of the many reasons I love Xenosaga...

I still enjoy Star Ocean as an average series but it could be so much more.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2007, 04:54:15 PM »

I could never picture a Fayt and Nel ending.  Nel's pretty regimented and Fayt's really laid back.  It just wouldn't work.

You should see the fandom, a lot of the popular pairings are based on pretty much nothing. One of the most common ones is AlbelxNel. The whole idea is more or less based on two facts:
-They both kill people with sharp things (-> Colleagues -> Lovers)
-They both come from the same planet (they have so much in common!)

This is what I like about Star Ocean, it's so easy to make fun of the game and it's fandom. It's a whole spectrum of fun! :D
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2007, 04:56:02 PM »

What the hell, it's like Neal has revealed some dark truth that changes everything when really he just stated what many people I've seen thought. I should point out this interview however. It basically says that they were going for sci-fi with the series but decided to throw in fantasy elements to fulfill the expectations of the average RPG player. I have to ask... What the fuck was the point then? There's countless fantasy RPGs out there, why halfass trying to stand out from them? If there were a lot of sci-fi RPGs too along with the fantasy, then I could respect trying to meld the two, even if it winds up not going as smoothly as Phantasy Star or whatever. But there's next to none, so... Geez.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2007, 06:36:47 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
What the hell, it's like Neal has revealed some dark truth that changes everything when really he just stated what many people I've seen thought.

Ha ha ha.  Dawg, you know I have a penchant for creating monsters by sometimes saying things that people are thinking but may not want to say.    

That interview was interesting.  I agree that it's silly that they say they like sci-fi and want to do it but with Star Ocean, they start out sci-fi then all of a sudden flip the script with a crash landing/accident/whatever and abandon the sci-fi altogether for the rest of the game.  

Losfer- thanks for the laugh.  

Tomara- I can only imagine the fandom for any game that involves mass coupling.  I shudder with fright at what could lurk in Memories Off or other love adventure fandom.  Still, the whole "OMG same species they should be a couple" is a bit ridiculous.  Just because two humans are the same species doesn't mean they'd be a good couple.  Look at Opera and Ernest in Star Ocean 2.  Both were Tetragenes and they were a couple, but man were they an incompatible couple.  I thought Ernest was better off with Chisato since they're both goal oriented explorers who dig for the truth/scoop.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2007, 06:37:23 PM »

LOL LOL BLAH BLAH BLAHFARLEEN'S GOD DAMN VOICE[/b][/u][/url] BLAH BLAH BLAH LOL DE LOL DE LOL

I haven't played the game, but after having watched that vid I'm not sure if I want to laugh or kill mercilessly whoever wrote that script.

Terrible. Is it possible to enjoy that game?

[/url]
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2007, 06:57:04 PM »

Quote from: Dincrest

That interview was interesting.  I agree that it's silly that they say they like sci-fi and want to do it but with Star Ocean, they start out sci-fi then all of a sudden flip the script with a crash landing/accident/whatever and abandon the sci-fi altogether for the rest of the game.  

Personally, I think thats part of the Star Ocean charm though.  Well executed or not, what makes the game setting cool is that it does mix past and future type civilizations.

I love the game.  I'm probably gonna be bias with whatever I post.  I'll admit SO3 didn't like up to the two year delay since it was released, but I still loved the fact that it offered as much as it did (especially int erms of play time, which most games lack nowadays).

The Dictionary bit in the game was also just fun, unnecessary (adding more to why I love it), depth.

I liekd how the game was also actually difficult; and (again, a problem in many RPGs) over-levelling was NOT the key to victory.  The game was difficult and with added difficulties as well as tasks.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 12:25:37 AM »

2 things

Sophia

and something that tends to be in all tri-ace games enemies that are so difficult you are better off running away than fighting them however its made worse in SO3 when you have to break a huge chain because you accidently ran into a soochie on the top floors of sphere 211.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2007, 12:56:19 AM »

Everything past the first half hour of the game.

Fuck Star Ocean 3.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2007, 12:58:36 AM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"

Fuck Star Ocean 3.

You were saying it was the best game ever based on just the first half hour?
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2007, 01:11:45 AM »

Tomara- I can only imagine the fandom for any game that involves mass coupling.  I shudder with fright at what could lurk in Memories Off or other love adventure fandom.  Still, the whole "OMG same species they should be a couple" is a bit ridiculous.  Just because two humans are the same species doesn't mean they'd be a good couple.  Look at Opera and Ernest in Star Ocean 2.  Both were Tetragenes and they were a couple, but man were they an incompatible couple.  I thought Ernest was better off with Chisato since they're both goal oriented explorers who dig for the truth/scoop.

That reminds me, having Ernest and Chisato end up together was actually a possibility in Star Ocean 2. SO3's system was much more limited, the only friendship/relationship level that actually mattered was Fayt's. It would have been cool if there had been more PA's and thus more character interaction.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2007, 02:03:10 AM »

Fuck Star Ocean 3.

Oh fer cripes sake, do you need me to go up and down the list of why I hate SO3 again? :P The only reason I like the first half hour is because it's in the FUTURE. And then you get stuck on that shitty medieval planet. Congratulations SO3, you fail.
Tria
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2007, 02:10:05 AM »

Fuck Star Ocean 3.

Oh fer cripes sake, do you need me to go up and down the list of why I hate SO3 again? :P The only reason I like the first half hour is because it's in the FUTURE. And then you get stuck on that shitty medieval planet. Congratulations SO3, you fail.

What did you think about the Sci-Fi parts?

Currently Playing (Console) - Star Ocean: The Second Story, Rogue Galaxy, Oblivion (PS3), Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (PS3)

Currently Playing (Handheld) - Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man ZX

Currenty Playing (PC) - Nothing...Ever
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2007, 02:16:22 AM »

Fuck Star Ocean 3.

That's not what you said in your LiveJournal when the game first came out. In fact, you loved it so much you started spoiling scertain story events for everyone on your friends' list.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2007, 02:49:40 AM »

Fuck Star Ocean 3.

You were REALLY positive about it for quite awhile there, then all of a sudden 'worst thing ever' without even admitting you initially were enjoying it. What the hell? :P

And with the game the way it was, it seemed more like an hour at least for being at the space resport.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2007, 11:21:14 AM »

This thread inspired me to start a new game of SO3 last night.

There's way more shit going on vocally than just that helium-voiced ninja twit or whatever the fuck she is.  I had forgotten just how lame the voice work is overall.

It's still pretty fun to play, though...when I actually get to do so. :P

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: