Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 11:37:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334816 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  please help organize my backlog
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: please help organize my backlog  (Read 1536 times)
Bonzo

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2007, 01:12:19 PM »

Hey folks,

I've been a long-time reader of the site and a recent lurker in the forums.  I respect a lot of the opinions bouncing around here, so I thought maybe you guys could help me sort out my backlog/pick the game I'm gonna hit next.  I recently completed FF XII and rather enjoyed it.

I have a rather impressive list of "games never finished.".  I suppose the problem is, when you're settled down, 40-50 hours is an ETERNITY.  Often times, I'll chug 90% of the way through a game only to abandon it for a new release I've been anticipating.  (There are literally three games in my collection where I've played all the way to the final battle and have yet to return.)  And as y'all can tell from my list, I've been domesticated for some time.  Though the games are not exclusively RPGs, my stash is obviously bent heavily in that direction.  Without further ado, here are my choices (and I promise it's not a joke topic):

Suikoden I
Suikoden II
Suikoden III
Final Fantasy IV
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VI
Arc the Lad I & II
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Chrono Cross
Secret of Mana
Valkyrie Profile
Ogre Battle (PS 1)
Ogre Battle 64
Tactics Ogre
Dragon Quest VIII
Shadow of the Colossus
Okami
Metal Gear Solid (PS 1)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
God of War
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Halo (PC)
Half-life 2 (PC)

I also have a hankering to replay the likes of Lunar: Eternal Blue, Xenogears, and Vagrant Story, and I've developed an interest in perhaps acquiring Tales of the Abyss, Valkyrie Profile 2, Shadow Hearts I & II, or Xenosaga II & III.  The problem is, I can only wade through a MAXIMUM 2 to 4 of these titles in a year, and I'm honestly a little overwhelmed--to the point where I can't even turn on my Playstation.  

For what it's worth, my favorite games of all time are Lunar: Silver Star and Eternal Blue (Sega CD), Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Vagrant Story.  I'd really appreciate some assistance in organizing my backlog--in other words, to help me pick out those that I MUST play.  Thanks for your time!

Bonzo
Tria
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 01:26:19 PM »

Helping with organization of something like this at this site is like asking asking a Jewish person and a Nazi to get along.  It just won't work.  You'll get so many different opinions that you'll generally be even more confused.

But with all things considered, I'd suggest playing games in terms of how long they are, or in alphabetical order.  Or, of course, the easiest way would be to organize the list into a list from favorite to least favorite.  If you can't decide that, then alphabetizing them would probably work best.

Or, if you really want our opinions, then I'd say:

Valkyrie Profile
Final Fantasy VI
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
Secret of Mana
Shadow of the Colossus
Final Fantasy V
Ogre Battle (PS 1)
Ogre Battle 64
Final Fantasy IV
Halo (PC)
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Tactics Ogre
Half-life 2 (PC)
God of War
Suikoden II
Suikoden I
Chrono Cross
Okami
Shadow Hearts: Covenant
Suikoden III
Dragon Quest VIII

I put these in order from my favorite to least favorite.

Oh, and buy Valkyrie Profile 2.  Or else the God of Creation themselves will brutally murder your family.  It happened to me when I didn't buy Radiata Stories exactly on its release date. ;_;

Currently Playing (Console) - Star Ocean: The Second Story, Rogue Galaxy, Oblivion (PS3), Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (PS3)

Currently Playing (Handheld) - Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3, Mega Man ZX

Currenty Playing (PC) - Nothing...Ever
Bonzo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 01:52:47 PM »

I appreciate your thoughts, Tria!  (And thanks for an alarmingly quick response.)  Indeed, I am seeking opinions, and I am grateful for yours.    I guess it's a "greatest game"-type thread with a very restricted list.  And I'm glad to read such a strong endorsement of VP2.

Bonzo
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 02:05:00 PM »

Go by series. I do the same thing you do, and when the time came for me to finally beat FFVII, I decided I'd beat FFIX immediately afterward. It helps.

Especially if a series is set in a continuous world like the Suikoden series, it's best to beat the games in chronological order or the order in which they were released.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 02:22:41 PM »

I'd first finish the games the games you started. Start with the ones that only need a dead final boss before the credits roll. That should lift some weight of your shoulders.

Then, ask yourself which games/series you'd like to play. If you're going to tackle the Suikoden games, play them in chronological order, you'll appreciate them more that way.

Starting with a short game may help you get motivated again. Suikoden I, Arc the Lad I or Secret of Mana could be a good starting point. Don't start with something like Dragon Quest VII or Oblivion, you probably won't be able to enjoy them for all they're worth if that backlog keeps staring at you.

Don't buy new games for a while, unless you know they will be very rare a year from now. Just buy them later when the backlog has shrunk to a managable size.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 03:07:36 PM »

I'd definitely get things started by beating the three Suikodens back to back.  Those games are awesome enough on their own, but it's hard to beat the effect of them one right after the other.

By the time you've done that, you'll most likely want something decidedly non-RPGish.  Shadow of the Colossus or MSG3 would be my choice, but SotN is also a fine choice since its RPG elements are rather minuscule.  And, you know, it being the best game ever made and all. :P

After that...who knows?  You've got a lot of time consuming beasts there.  DQ8 and Shadow Hearts alone will put you in the 100 hour range total, assuming you play as fast as I do.  It'll be a lot more if you play as slowly as the rest of the people here do.  And Oblivion?  Fuck, I've played that game through several times now (at about 30 hours per character)  and I don't consider myself "done" with it, per se.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 08:59:28 PM »

Quote from: "Marshmallow"
Go by series. I do the same thing you do, and when the time came for me to finally beat FFVII, I decided I'd beat FFIX immediately afterward. It helps.

Ummm, those aren't in order, you forgot FFVIII, one of the very best.

Anyway, I have to disagree here. I tried playing a few series back to back, and it didn't turn out too well. I found myself completely sick of them after a while. The FF games are all so different in theme and content, that they're not a problem. But Lunar 1 and Lunar 2? Amazing games, but halfway through L2, I just wanted to move on.

BTW: I noticed a distinct lack of anything Nintendo on that last... which is sad, since I think some of the greatest games of the previous generation (until the 11th hour PS2 blowout) came out on the GameCube. Metroid Prime, Skies of Arcadia, Twiglith Princess, Tales of Symphonia (even though Abyss is a step up), all amazing games that no RPG/Adventure gamer should miss. The only one to stay the hell away from is Baton Keitos.

Bottom line, though: FF6 is on your list... play it. Amazing title, and sort of the game that started it all. I consider it the first truly "contemporary" RPG: one that pays a lot of attention to weaving great character interaction with a plot that doesn't suck. FFIV and FFV don't really age well, there's something very dated about them. FFVI is pretty much timeless, though. 30 years from now, it and FF9 will probably be the only ones that anyone will want to play. As much as I liked FF7 and FF8, they're not going to age gracefully either.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 11:33:22 PM »

Go through the first three Suikodens again.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: