Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 27, 2014, 11:17:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329752 Posts in 13518 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  if it's not broken dont fix it...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: if it's not broken dont fix it...  (Read 16861 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 24, 2007, 06:37:19 AM »

why does it seem like almost no rpg series can follow this one simple rule? i just read that wild arms 5's party count was reduced from 4 to 3. wtf? while this upsets me i'll still play the game. plus ffx-2 is most likely a much worse offender.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 06:45:18 AM »

I know! I mean....why the fuck did SquareEnix even bother with FFXII......FFX was so supperior...they should have just put in different character models and new story/dialogue.

*more bitching*

*bitch*

*whine*

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 08:25:22 AM »

The Wild ARMs games started out with three party members, shouldn't you be happy they went back to their roots? :/

I've played plenty of games with a three member party battlesystem and they played just fine. Sure, games like Wild Arms 4 and Grandia are fun, but that doesn't mean four is always better than three...

I like developers who are not afraid to try something new. It's the only way for the genre to move forward. I don't mind when a new installment is very different from the others, it keeps the series fresh. Some of my favorite games are the oddities of classic series. In my opinion, Dragon Quarter was the best Breath of Fire game Capcom every created.

It's a shame when good ideas are dumped to early (Star Ocean 3 should have resembled Star Ocean 2 more), but I don't want ideas to be re-used again and again either (NIS should try to make something that is not a SRPG).
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 09:47:00 AM »

Who cares?  Would FFVII really have been that much better if you could use four party members like in FFVI?  I doubt it.

"b-b-b-but 4 peoplez meens moar stratege n dieversiti lolz"  If the game is balanced right, you'll never notice.

Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 01:31:29 PM »

So you may say, but I still think you'll agree that Unlimited SaGa and Dawn of Mana were too far a departure from the norm, considering how much everyone's been complaining about them.

I will, however, admit that I don't understand "number of party member" complaints...it's just, why bother? How much of a difference does it make, whether it's 3, or 4, or 5?

Why, back in my day, when I was playing Dragon Quest/Warrior II, on the N-E-S, I was glad to have just more than one character, but from 1 to 3 members, that was quite a leap!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 01:42:48 PM »

Those weren't bad games because they departed from the norm. Those're bad games because bad ideas were badly executed.
Silverwolf X

私にする? 私にする? それとも、 わ.た.し?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 02:32:31 PM »

Instead, one should wonder how many rpgs let you use all your playable characters at once without switching in/out?

I recall some, but I can't remember... must have been a minority... -.-;;
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 02:59:53 PM »

I think it's a bit of both, though in the case of USG, well. The series has always had a reputation for being oddball and doing stuff differently from the rest of the genre, USG more or less is just a misstep there, and even then it's apparently more too damn convulted for a normal human being than bad.

I prefer 4 characters myself, but like DR said if the game's balanced fine it should never be a noticeable issue. With that said, Silverwolf brings up a good point in that more games need hot swappable parties. Makes the characters a lot more useful overall and keeps from easily sticking to the same 3 or 4 throughout the whole game.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 03:01:56 PM »

and even then it's apparently more too damn convulted for a normal human being than bad.

Not convoluted. Just crappy documentation.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 03:08:35 PM »

Fair enough. :P

Edit: Actually, having only 3 characters in a party at once matters in cases like, say, Chrono Cross. Ok, that's nice that I can recruit 40+ characters. NOW HOW ABOUT A LARGER PARTY SO I USE MORE THAN 2 EVER GOD. However, CC is pretty much the /only/ game I thought that for.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 05:33:42 PM »

The Wild ARMs games started out with three party members, shouldn't you be happy they went back to their roots? :/

i'm never in favor of a series taking a step backwards unless its a situation like xenosaga 2 -> xenosaga 3. also i think 3 member party's are fine if theres only 3 playable characters. in my opinion it was particularly bad in FF7 since one of the bosses sticks you with a random party effectively punishing you for only focus'ing on a few characters.

Dade i'm not trying to say ffxii should of had ffx's battle system. however had ffxii had ffx's battle system and say removed the tag in/out function thats where i would have a problem

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 07:08:40 PM »

Good point about CC. Suikoden has 180 characters (because I am feeling moderately dyslexic tonight) and you can have six people in your party.

Anyway, small parties for battles. The problem isn't LESS STRATEGIC ZOMG, but more a matter of being unfairly forced to pick favorites thing. Granted, with the latter FFs, the characters were so rarely that different that it really didn't matter from a gameplay perspective.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Zebulun

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 07:57:13 PM »

I think sequels should strike a balance between new content (such as battle mechanics, scenery and on occasion the number of party members) but also retain what made them appealing to those who first bought the original.

People can nitpick about certain features, but when said features are put to use in an enjoyable fashion I believe the sequel has lived up to its promise.

"If we can hit that bull's-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards...Checkmate."
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 08:36:17 PM »

Oh no! Not 3 people in the party! That'll ruin everything! -_-

"Oh, a hunter..."
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007, 11:05:24 PM »

The whole party numbers thing never bothered me.  On the contrary, actually... bigger party = higher spendings... no thanks.

I'd prefer more customizable and in-depth characters than 80 useless ones who join because they're indebt to you for finding their fucken cat (I'm sure a Suiko character or two for reasons that gay).

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: