Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 12:07:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329372 Posts in 13492 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Shadowrun
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Shadowrun  (Read 1572 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 30, 2007, 08:03:50 PM »

So, I snagged Shadowrun (for Vista) today - and I like it.  A lot.  It's very fast paced for a round-based game, and it's just incredibly entertaining.  My Games For Windows Live name is Aerim, and you can add me if you're on XBL; it's crossplatform.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 08:24:22 PM »

But is it worth full price? I don't doubt it's fun, but unless the number of maps wasn't reported accurately,t his just doesn't sound like something I want for $60. $40, maybe, but not $60 and I don't think I can swallow the Vista price of $50 either.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 08:30:15 PM »

The lack of maps is not really an issue, honestly.  I don't know about a lot of people here, but I played Counter-Strike.  A lot.  There may be tens of maps in counter-strike, but in reality, there's only about five.  de_aztec, cs_assault, cs_office, de_dust, and de_dust2.  That's 90% of the servers right there.  I paid $50 (well, $45) for it, and thus far, not even a little bit of regret.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2007, 08:33:11 PM »

Well, I guess I have no room to talk when I got Warioware for a little under $40, blasted through it in a night, and didn't play it afterwards really, yet not really regret getting it. Still though, that $60 tag is daunting, and I doubt I'd feel the same about Warioware at $50.
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2007, 06:16:24 PM »

Hmm, has my interest more perked.  The premise sounds cool, being based on a cyberpunk pnp game.  But i'm not really going to spend much on my 360 until I can get my HDTV, cause when I played it on my parents HDTV, it looked so good that now, on my crappy 20 year old TV, it makes me sad.

Haha.

I did always wonder what it would be like to be play an Elf with a rocket launcher.

"Excuse me?  Flower picking what?  *shoots rocket*  Thats what I thought asshole."

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 08:16:38 PM »

The rocket launcher is, bar none, the worst weapon in the game.  Pretty much the only thing it's useful against is trolls and stationary targets (getting rid of strangle or trees of life).  I'm still enamored with the game, though if you play on vista, for the love of god, don't mention it - kiddy 360 players will do nothing but send you invites because they want achievements.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2007, 09:30:41 PM »

Reviews aren't so hot.

I think the difference between this and CS is that CS is either pretty cheap, or with HL2. But it never was sold, as is, at the price of a regular retail title, let alone 60 bucks... Heck, you can get the whole HL2 collection for $60 I hear. And they didn't even develop a ladder climbing animation? The hell?

Meh. :P
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 11:44:45 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Reviews aren't so hot.

I think the difference between this and CS is that CS is either pretty cheap, or with HL2. But it never was sold, as is, at the price of a regular retail title, let alone 60 bucks... Heck, you can get the whole HL2 collection for $60 I hear. And they didn't even develop a ladder climbing animation? The hell?

Meh. :P

That's how I feel about the game. The mechanics are extremely solid and the indirect-combat abilities are cool and add a lot of depth to the shooter experience. Nonetheless, there isn't enough content and some of it feels sloppy. For instance: some of the level designs are both beautiful and extremely well laid out, others are ugly and boring.

I can see how it will get a cult following. It's sort of a midway point between the weird mechanics of Perfect Dark Zero and it's extremely strategic systems and gadgety weaponry, and the faster paced more traditional play of Counter-Strike. Plus, it has some of its own flavor.

Pretty cool, but it's lacking something. Oh yeah, and no split-screen of the 360 version. What the fuck? What a damn waste.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2007, 10:10:20 PM »

I played the demo. It's fun, but I don't think I really want to run out and buy it, plus I kinda suck at it. I'll try some more bot matches to see if I get better.

... No split screen? What the fuck, this is almost like Bomberman Act Zero if it were actually worth a damn.
Chimpbot

ChimpbotD piccolo141@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2007, 01:23:43 AM »

Quote from: "Serene Prophet"
The premise sounds cool, being based on a cyberpunk pnp game.

It's Shadowrun in name only, really. They could have easily called it something entirely different...and it wouldn't have changed much of anything.

This FPS has none of the elements that make Shadowrun my favorite PnP game of all time. It's a good FPS with some interesting mechanics...but it's just not Shadowrun, nor will it ever be.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2007, 01:29:18 AM »

It is based on the very basic concept... But yes, it could've been named anything else since that's about it as far as I can tell.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: