Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 05:07:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341139 Posts in 13942 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  1up: The Future of Videogames
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 1up: The Future of Videogames  (Read 678 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2007, 04:06:31 PM »

1up link.

I only looked over the genre one. I REALLY wish they interviewed someone else for RPGs, someone like Hironobu Sakaguchi or a Bioware guy, but ah well.
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 05:56:40 PM »

I don't know. Games working on impulses rather than button-presses? Virtual reality? I find none of these things appealing. Give me a controller and a well-made game and I'll be happy. The truth is, most companies haven't even mastered how to work in today's constraints.

I also can't deal with too much freedom. I agonize over decisions and, a lot of times, I can't even make one. That's why most American RPG's haven't interested me: why face the same frustrating decision-making problems I face in real life in a video game realm? Perhaps it allows me the freedom to let go of restraint, but it usually doesn't work that way for me. Most times I sit down to play a game, I want someone else to take control. Obviously, I want to have active participation (when and where to shoot, how I decide to clean out a room, developing a character's stats), but within some reasonable constraints. I find the prospect of building a character from the ground up extremely unappealing. I'd rather RPG developers focus on stronger narratives, better writing, and perfecting the the different systems they have in place).

EDIT: I like the ideas in the Platform Games bit, though.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 06:01:40 PM »

Actually, looking at it again, I don't think they picked a good choice for the racing bit either. I'd think you'd go with the guys in charge of Gran Turismo or Forza, or even Mario Kart and F-Zero. Need for Speed seems kinda boring and unloved, though he makes good points anyway.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: