Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 12:28:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334795 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  'Bong Hits 4 Jesus' case limits student rights
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: 'Bong Hits 4 Jesus' case limits student rights  (Read 2096 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« on: June 25, 2007, 08:55:38 PM »

CNN link.
Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 09:26:40 PM »

I...don't know what the fuck to say. This is retarded on so many levels.

Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 09:54:39 AM »

I'd heard about this story months ago when it was first going to trial. As an educator, I support what the principal did. The kid wasn't making a statement, he was just being a troublemaker and being disrespectful to others. Interesting technicality they got him on, though, not sure what I think about that, really.

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 03:11:40 PM »

Gotta love people from my state...

Although this doesn't really limit students rights in the way it was originally feared, might. The supreme courts ruling has nothing to do with how students can act while off school grounds, but simply ruled that the place where the kind was standing, which was directly across from the school, could be considered sanctioned by the school.

Now, this does POSSIBLY have an effect on protesting near school grounds, but formal protesting falls under a completely different set of rules, which is much more heavilly protected by our constitution.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 06:07:35 PM »

I agree with the O'Reilly take on the story, in that basically just because it wasn't directly on the property doesn't mean it wasn't being disruptive to the kids at the school.  Freedom of speech per se only goes so far.  I mean, I could go across the street from my college campus and take off all my clothes to protest whatever stupid idea and still expect to see my "free speech" curtailed because that's just not proper.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 08:13:30 PM »

Actually, we used to have that all the time at college, well... both the public nudity and the protesting directly off of school grounds (usually not together, though). See, I went to Oberlin, which is known for being a fairly liberal-minded school. So, we'd get all these right-wing religious nutjobs (Fred Phelps came one time), preaching Sodum & Gamorah style bullshit. They were allowed to do so, but they couldn't be on school property, they were directly across the street though.

It was kind of funny, though, some of our drama students would always run out in suits and ties, with a big book... then they would stand beside them, and learn how to mimick their behavior, as a theatre study, and the preachers would just have to ignore them. Also, the political science and history majors would give their debate skills a shot. It was kind of a learning experience for everyone. The fact is, anytime one of those preachers came to town, it was like a big party.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: