Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 21, 2014, 10:22:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337901 Posts in 13833 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  This is both hysterical and pathetic. MySpace vs. Facebook!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: This is both hysterical and pathetic. MySpace vs. Facebook!  (Read 1669 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« on: June 26, 2007, 08:43:06 AM »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/6236628.stm

I could not help but point and laugh at this.  For a PhD student, this idiot woman's total ignorance of the basic statistical concept of population distributions is pretty sad.  

Duh!  Facebook requires an attachment to a school to become a member whereas MySpace is open to the general public.  So of course one's going to have a more narrow population distribution than the other.  Didn't you pay attention in your basic statistics classes?

Someone fails at PhD life.  

Not only that, but what the fuck kind of organization even funds this kind of research?  The mind boggles.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2007, 09:52:29 AM »

Wow, yeah, that is a pretty ignorant study. How did this ever get past a review board?

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
Chibs

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2007, 10:19:07 AM »

You know what I see, BBC News?  I see a slow news day with nothing to fill it!

I'm new! Please don't bite me! ^_^
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 11:21:04 AM »

Actually, I think Facebook no longer requires a university/college email. Could be wrong though.

Sensei Phoenix

Sensei+Phoenix
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 12:52:04 PM »

I think it still requires some sort of school affiliation, though.

DIGIBOOTY AHOY!
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 01:01:21 PM »

Yeah. I'm only in High School, but facebook required that I go to that high school and be a part of that network.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2007, 01:31:39 PM »

Quote from: "Sensei Phoenix"
I think it still requires some sort of school affiliation, though.

No, not for the past six months at least.

It doesn't require any affiliation at all, actually. No high school, college, or city. I'm currently listed as not having a network.

[/url]
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2007, 07:36:27 AM »

Yea facebook doesn't need a college anymore, but still, it's fairly recent that they removed that, so it would take a long while to build up the kind of user base myspace has of people not affiliated to some sort of school.  

Regardless, this study is really dumb.  Why do we need a study on the type of people who use networking sites?
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2007, 07:37:18 AM »

...Someone with a PhD did a report on this?

Holy BALLS they'll give anyone those things now.

Fuck this, and you.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 04:15:08 AM »

Hasn't required a school affiliation for some months now. (Facebook) I believe it used to be just universities and colleges, and expanded to... high schools and then workplaces? (I found the NASA network on there) and then everyone recently.

Ah well. I like it other than the 34875304703984 applications that are suddenly showing up on everyone's pages.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 06:48:33 AM »

They started giving them to anyone when PhDs started to be given to art students.

Grace Saunders

thesaunderschild
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 07:01:35 AM »

I consider Bebo to be way better than MySpace, with or without the fact HTML is not allowed. But it is terribly underrated and it only seems to be UK people who use it, even though anybody can sign up an account.

I should have made a blog a long time around. I have went through a lot of online drama, so it would have been fun to document it all for all to see. :)

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 08:46:53 AM »

This lady's getting her PhD in information sciences, which is a legit field to get a PhD in (I was a former PhD student in Educational Psychology but last year decided to switch programs; now I'm going for my 2nd Masters, this time with certification in school counseling.)  

Regardless of the mechanics of Facebook, my biggest surprises of all this are that 1) a review board actually approved this study and 2) that this study ignores one of the basic tenets of introductory statistics, namely population and sampling distributions.  Facebook and MySpace have enough differences in their populations that no matter what, you will get non-comparable samples.  

If you're going to do research, which is what PhD is all about, you'd better be competent at statistics.  To me, a worthy PhD student will find the last panel of this comic hysterical.  http://www.phdcomics.com/comics/archive.php?comicid=868

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: