Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 02:56:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327202 Posts in 13394 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Grim Grimoire
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Grim Grimoire  (Read 3653 times)
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2007, 12:29:15 AM »

No one else is talking about this, yet? Allow me to be the first, then!

Just picked this up today. I've been playing it for the past five hours straight. I'm on the fourth chapter now; it's repetitive, perhaps, but do you want to know something? I'm not tired of it!

The best part of this: there aren't levels to build, at least, none that I can see. The values for all of your summonable units are fixed, and may be enchanced by Rune Circles, but other than that, you must make do.

Allow me to provide an abridged review:

Objectives are simple: destroy all of the enemy's Rune Circles.

Rune Circles are used to summon units, or otherwise provide enhancements to other units on the field.

You have your typical fighting units, stationary artillery units, and then you have Mana-gathering units, who cultivate crystals found on the battlefield, and extract Mana, which is then used to create Rune Circles and more ally units.

There are four different classifications of units: Glamour (nature: elves, fairies, unicorns), Alchemy (Golems, Chimeras, other man-made lifeforms), Sorcery (the Devil's Art: demons, dragons), and Necromancy (the undead: Ghosts, Phantoms). Hence, there's a resistance/weakness relationship to these classifications.

Glamour effective against Necromancy effective against Sorcery effective against Alchemy.

The gameplay's simple, maybe repetitive, but still addicitive.

As for the plot, well, it seems like everyone wants to awaken the evil Archmage, sealed at the core of the towering Magic Academy, but we're not sure who; everyone seems suspect.

You go through five days, and on the fifth day, the Archmage is awakened, only for time to be rewound back five days earlier, and you're the only one with any knowledge of what happened before time rewound. So, it's pretty much up to you to figure how to stop the resurrection of the Archmage.

Well, I think I've found this week's new obsession!
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 12:32:57 AM »

I reviewed it and it was nice that I didn't wind up being the only one who played it. Fun game, but I enjoyed Odin Sphere a lot more, but not a big RTS guy so that might've factored it. It is pretty addicting though, hence I wind up finishing it over 3 weeks before release :p

I am glad you are enjoying yourself. Anyone else got it?

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 12:36:49 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Vanillaware develop both Grim Grimoire and Odin Sphere? Rather versatile group of developers, making a hack n' slash, and then an RTS, don't you agree? I'm really looking forward to what else they might put out in the future!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2007, 12:44:16 AM »

The game interests me, but ehhh. Odin Sphere is fun but I haven't really been compelled to play an assload of it like others here, and I've got a huge backlog anyway. I'll either clear that out first or get this when it's cheap.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2007, 12:47:22 AM »

Yeah, they developed Odin Sphere too and currently, those are their only two games at the moment. Princess Crown might count, but that is developed by Atlus. I guess the Vanillaware crew were once a part of Atlus.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2007, 01:03:06 AM »

I wasn't impressed by Odin Sphere, and Grim Grimoire just sounds a LOT like that crappy 'Blood and Magic' game from... SSI? that came out mid-90s.

Cute names though. The random swedish makes me happy because I'm working through FSI Swedish right now because I have NO life.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2007, 08:35:38 AM »

I'll be picking up my copy of Grim Grimoire today.  

Repetitive but still fun?  Sounds like Vanillaware fare to me.  I'm interested in GG because I love school settings, and the whole premise sounds like Harry Potter meets Groundhog Day (Groundhog Day is one of my all time favorite movies).  

Plus, I like what Vanillaware's doing, being that bastion of 2D and I want to support their efforts.  Vanillaware games have that intangible mojo that definitely tickles my fancy.  

As for Odin Sphere, it certainly won't beat Castlevania: Symphony of the Night as best 2D side-scrolling RPG (in my mind at least) but still a darn good game in its own right.

I approve of this nonsense!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2007, 04:46:52 PM »

being that bastion of 2D

See, I see people fawning over vanillaware for still using 2D sprites, like this is some sort of immensely important thing. They're just sprites. And the actual art's not even terribly great or distinctive. I mean, it's like the early days of 3D graphics (Er, by that, I mean early days as in, early nineties. We're going to discount the fact that you had a lot of 3D games out in the 80s for a minute), when stuff tended to look like crap, but people would fawn over it just because it was in three-dimension.

I think people did this with Starfox, a game I always found incredibly slow and having rather poor play control, or Quake, which wasn't even good in comparison to the other FPSes that were out at the time (Honestly, I'd say the original Dooms were better than Quake).

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 06:15:59 PM »

I'm extremely 50/50 on this game.  Now, I loved Odin Sphere and just recently beat it, but I'm not a big RTS fan.  Combine the fact that much like Odin Sphere, this game is being described as "repetitive" and I really start to lean toward not buying this.  If there was some great storyline to get me through repetitive gameplay then that would be a different story.  I admit I am interested in the "Groundhog Day" type twist, but I'm not sure if it's enough to justify me picking this up.

This is all first impression though, if there's more to it let me know.  I'm not a big RTS guy, like TurnBasedDude, so I feel like I would probably share the same opinion as him.  Odin Sphere > Grim Grimoire?

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 07:31:09 PM »

This is my first RTS type game.  I'm still getting used to that interface, but I am digging the characters and voice acting.  The plot is nothing special.  The strength is in the over-the-top personalities of the site.  

It's weird that Grim Grimoire's battles are simultaneously overwhelming (with the realtime aspects) but sometimes hit boring lulls.  Not a game I can play for hours at a time, but then again, Odin Sphere is also a small doses game to me.  

I do not think I'll play another RTS game.  Not really my thing.  At least Grim Grimoire does not have any noticeable slowdown.

I definitely think Odin Sphere is the better game.  More accessible gameplay interface and far more beautiful.  Definitely one of the most beautiful games I've played in a long time.  Better voice acting too (Japanese VA is great and the English dub is one of the best I've heard in a long time.)

I approve of this nonsense!
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 12:30:43 AM »

I played through the main story of the game between these past two days, for a total of 15 hours. It really kept me going the whole time!

After that, I've played through all of the cut scenes about three times now, and I'm still trying to piece the plot together. All of the characters are appealing in one way or another. It's much better than Harry Potter; it's far more complex, and none of the characters are complete morons.

Bartido and Hiram are definitely awexome, though Hiram really didn't receive much aire time, and Opalneria's one hot goth chick.

Now, I just wish I could get character art for Amoretta and adult Lillet; I found all of the female characters, save for maybe Margarita, to all be visually appealing. (I'm sorry, Margarita just looks like a short-haired milkmaid).

Advocat definitely messes with your mind; still trying to figure out what the Hell (pun intended) his "deal" (literally) was.

But do you want to know what REALLY makes this game awexome?! CAT MAGES!!

Only problems I had with the game, were how there's large empty spaces in some places where your units can't go; why they even bother including such large empty spaces on the map is beyond me, and makes it hard to distinguish where exactly you can move your units unless you take a good look.

Second problem is, they ought to have changed up the graphics for the battlefields depend upon the location they were supposed to be fought in.

Just small gripes really, those. Perhaps those will be improvements in the sequel? :D

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm about to go write a timeline for the plot, as well as synapses for each of the cut scenes...

After that, I suppose I'll go through the extra stages.

Also, still waiting for the domestic soundtrack release from NISA...when are they going to get off their asses and figure things out?
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2007, 01:27:59 AM »

I'm liking it way more than Odin Sphere so far.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2007, 11:35:10 PM »

Man, about Odin Sphere, SOCRATES THE CAT OWNZ j00.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2007, 02:40:26 AM »

That's... What?
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2007, 04:38:33 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
That's... What?

Socrates the Cat. In Odin Sphere. Y'know, the little dude you select to view the cinema scene archive? That little dude is AWEXOME.

"Im in yur den, snugglin on yur lap."

Yeah, I realize this's RPGFan, and not Catfan, but I digress.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: