Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 12:11:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319709 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Blue Dragon for both NA and Europe in August.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Blue Dragon for both NA and Europe in August.  (Read 4336 times)
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2007, 12:22:38 AM »

See I always find that funny, in that most non RPG games are less than 15 hours, yet no one seems to mind that as much as they do long RPG games.  Granted, some of those shorter games have more replay value, but still.  I dunno, for me, 40 is long, 30 is decent, 20 is short for an RPG.  But again thats me.

I would definitely like to see more FPS games expand their gameplay and storylines into longer jaunts.  There have been some i've played, well ok Gears is a TPS but still technically the same genre, that would have been so much greater if it wasn't so damn short.  Yeah different difficulties can add more time, but its kind of a cheap way of adding more playability in my opinion.

Still, I usually wont buy a game straight out since I like to save money as best I can since I make very little of it, so usually I don't base games off their merit of "is it worth 60 bucks".  Unless its something im really looking forward to aka Mass Effect.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2007, 02:11:20 AM »

Some of the greatest console RPGs of all time can be completed in around 20 hours or less without much difficulty.  Just off the top of my head:

Final Fantasy IV
Super Mario RPG
Chrono Trigger
Lufia 2
Phantasy Star IV

True, some of those games had things to extend playtime (multiple endings in Chrono Trigger, the bonus dungeon in Lufia 2), but still, being short is hardly a fatal flaw, especially if multiple difficulty levels are offered.

Personally, I'm looking forward more to Blue Dragon than Eternal Sonata.  The demo of Eternal Sonata was gorgeous and fun, but I'm more of a turn based fan myself and Blue Dragon looks to have good solid turn based gameplay complete with a fun job system.  Though honestly, I'm looking forward to Lost Odyssey & Bioshock more than either of them.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 02:17:02 AM »

Quote from: "Robert Boyd"
The demo of Eternal Sonata was gorgeous and fun, but I'm more of a turn based fan myself and Blue Dragon looks to have good solid turn based gameplay complete with a fun job system.

I fail to see the problem, Eternal Sonata had a fresh and unique Turn based system.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 03:19:15 AM »

I suppose that's one way to look at it, though Eternal Sonata felt more like Star Ocean or a Tales game than a turn-based game.  My main fear is that judging from the demo, each character can only have a couple moves equipped at a time and it seems like combat would quickly grow stale as you use the same moves over and over again (there's no MP).

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2007, 10:01:16 AM »

Quote from: "Robert Boyd"
Some of the greatest console RPGs of all time can be completed in around 20 hours or less without much difficulty.  Just off the top of my head:

Final Fantasy IV
Super Mario RPG
Chrono Trigger
Lufia 2
Phantasy Star IV

Yeah, but off the top of my head I don't think I finished any of those games the first time through in under 20 hours. :p  I'd assume that the Eternal Sonata times are on the first runthrough, which would be very short indeed.

Can't say I'm too interested in Blue Dragon because of the art style either, but odds are that if Lost Odyssey turns out to be a bust I won't be getting a 360 any time soon either, so heh.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2007, 11:03:52 AM »

Still though, that's $60.

Wait, 60 dollars for a non-special edition game? What the hell is this, 1994?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2007, 11:38:30 AM »

Yeah, most XBox 360 games start out at $60.  It's one of the reasons I'm glad that I have an Asian XBox (Asian 360 game prices are generally $45).

Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2007, 12:26:11 PM »

Well I wasnt trying to say short is a flaw, I just prefer longer games.

And I dunno, to me the 360 seemed to have the best of all the little pieces with the three consoles out so I picked it up.  PS3 does look appealing for a number of reasons but theres a few reasons that it irkes me, one being the price.  Which is to me understandable, just to much.  

Plus 360 has the support of Bioware, who makes in my honest opinion the best US RPG games, even though they do end up going to PC, I dunno, id rather play em on the 360 and be assured graphical features since even though my PC is pretty decent, it isn't a behemoth.

Anywho, again, I shall await and see...and Live needs more demos...demos goooood.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2007, 06:48:47 PM »

Actually, many non-RPGs are becoming longer too. For one thing, EVERYTHING'S an adventure game, these days. Platformers are now all adventure games (which probably started with Mario 64), FPSs have a lot of adventure elements in them, heck the only two genres I can think of that haven't gone "adventure" are simulation games and sports games.

Not that that's a BAD thing, I kinda like having large, interconnected games. But when you include adventure-like gameplay, it's going to get longer.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2007, 09:31:43 PM »

the problem with short games at least for me is that i'm a marathon gamer. so if a game is only 20 hours long i can knock it out in 1 weekend witch in my opinion is NOT 50-60 dollars well spent. its ok if the main storyline is only 20 hours long as long as there is some worthwhile unlockables and/or bonus dungeons ala VP's seraphic gate. as for blue dragon... the art direction blows. and from what little i've seen all the characters look like kids.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2007, 09:53:32 PM »

Eternal Sonata will have a harder difficulty unlocked when you beat it, so you can go through that for another 20 hours of gameplay, then getting the money to go into a post-game bonus dungeon. That would probably give about 45 hours of gameplay, so if you're inclined to replay, it might not be a bad idea. Mind, it also sounds like the boss of that bonus dungeon is the only time when the battle system is /really/ flexed.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2007, 12:00:48 PM »

I'm surprised at how many negative feelings there are here towards Blue Dragon & Eternal Sonata.  Is it just 'cause few people on this forum have an XBox 360 and you guys want to assume that the exclusive games coming out of it are no good so you're not tempted to buy the system?

Anyway, a really gorgeous trailer for Eternal Sonata just came out that shows off both cutscenes & combat.  Here's the link: http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/13849/Eternal-Sonata-Trailer/

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2007, 04:36:23 PM »

I think the games look awesome, but I'm not about to drop $500 or so just to play either of them.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2007, 04:46:24 PM »

The negatives comments to Eternal Sonata more or less, that I've seen and expressed myself at least, are because of people who played the Japanese game and were ultimately disappointed. I have access to an X360, so the only hurdle is that $60 one. Blue Dragon on the other hand has more or less been received very well, so it's usually people getting picky over the graphics/artstyle or think the gameplay sounds unappealing. Admittedly, the game's likened to FFV, and not everyone's a big fan of that, so it makes sense.

I'll get BD right away, but ES is probably going to be after a price drop or something, unless it's stupidly well received or whatever.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 30, 2007, 06:21:41 PM »

Is it just 'cause few people on this forum have an XBox 360 and you guys want to assume that the exclusive games coming out of it are no good so you're not tempted to buy the system?

That's the same reason fanboys always dis games that aren't their favorite. They just can't AFFORD them.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: