Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 17, 2014, 09:41:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331520 Posts in 13574 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  any modern rpgs/soundtracks like Parasite Eve etc.?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: any modern rpgs/soundtracks like Parasite Eve etc.?  (Read 2094 times)
Caine

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 01, 2007, 04:29:52 AM »

are there more RPG's which have a modern style like Parasite Eve 1 did?
i mean that you are in a city and not in medieval time, and the soundtrack is not the classic rpg soundtrack but modern electronique, techno soundtrack.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 04:32:41 AM »

I haven't heard Parasite Eve's OST, but most of Sakuraba's (nearly all tri-Ace and Tales of games) is arguably just banging on the Casio. It's definitely more rockish when you go through dungeons in the first VP. Also all the MegaTen games tend to not have classical-ish stuff, DDS1 leaning towards rock and DDS2 techno.
Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 12:17:05 PM »

In terms of RPGs set in moden times, the Persona series, definitely.  Other MegaTen games use post-modern or post-apocalyptic/modern, but games like Persona (especially the Persona 2 games) are cosmopolitan urban set.  The soundtracks reflect that too.  

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum is the Earthbound (Mother) series.  It's set in modern/contemporary times.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 04:41:16 PM »

Yeah, you're going to want to go for Persona and Shin Megami Tensei/Digital Devil Saga, if you want dark, rock and electronica-oriented compositions like Parasite Eve.

Someone mentioned Motoi Sakuraba, and his Tales soundtracks, and while they're good, are most certainly NOT what you're looking for.

For that matter, The Earthbound/Mother soundtracks are probably too far light-hearted for what you're looking for.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 04:45:01 PM »

Like others said, the Shin Megami Tensei series have the modern feel. That especially holds true for persona 3 as Shoji Meguro went with a j-pop, funky feel with a lot of songs, including the battle. It's different from his usual works, but it is very good, at least with how it works in the game. It definitely has the modern touch to the music.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 05:23:14 PM »

Earthbound's soundtrack is heavily based on beatles tunes in places.  Not exactly MODERN per se, but 1960s isn't too far off.

Dungeon Man's Theme has these high-pitched squelchy noises which are apparently based on the violin bits from Live and Let Die.

Riding Tessie borrows the opening bit from Strawberry Fields.

The cave to giygas has some sample from All You Need Is Love. Which is... sort of appropriate.

A lot of the songs in general have a very Beatlesy feel, too, though. A lot of 60s music influences I guess?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 08:22:04 AM »

Yeah, go for the Atlus games

Shin Megami Tensei
Persona
Digital Devil Saga

I can't really think of any other RPGs with "modern" soundtracks

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dincrest
A-class rider (in training)
RPGFan Editor

I smile when I climb

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2007, 11:20:24 PM »

One series worth mentioning is Shadow Hearts.  The setting is not contemporary modern, but rather 1920s or so.  I loved the soundtrack to the first Shadow Hearts game.  Yoshitaka Hirota, who's mainly a sound effects guy, took a very modern approach to many of his compositions in that game.  

And among the Megami Tensei titles, Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army takes place in 1930s urban Japan.  The game has a terrific setting with a killer sense of period, but the battle engine was really lacking.  

I will say that finding RPGs set in more contemporary times is not easy.  Usually it is traditional high fantasy (i.e. knights, castles, dragons).  I would venture that sci-fi oriented RPGs (like, say, Xenosaga), though not as easy to find, are easier to find than ones with more modern contemporary settings.  

If you're willing to look at genres outside of RPGs, such as graphic adventures, then games like the Broken Sword series take place in modern contemporary settings.  I've only played Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars and Broken Sword 2: The Smoking Mirror, but both were excellent adventure games.  George Stobbart is an awesome protagonist.

Among RPGs though, Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment had my favorite urban sprawls.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 12:09:16 AM »

i gotta sound like a fangirl by now but theres super robot taisen/wars original generation 1 and 2 for gba they both either take place in present day or the not to distant future. and imo has really nice upbeat music depending who you attack with :o and both games are published in the states by Atlus lol.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Kos-mos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 08:33:02 PM »

Yeah, the SRW soundtracks are filled mostly with excellent "fast paced" songs with modern sounds.

As for stuff similar to Parasite Eve I'm stuck going along with other suggestions already made about the Atlus games in the SMT/Persona series, I haven't thought of anything else near those so far.
Caine

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 08:35:13 PM »

so as i thought there aren't really many rpg's in this setting. well after many years of playing japanese rpg's i thought i missed something on some consoles, cause i bought a ps2 a few weeks ago.

well i got ar tonelico, a lovely game and the soundtrack is quite modern with some techno elements and even some raps hehe.
well but something as parasite eve seems to be rare mostly in the us. i guess to find some games like it i should learn japanese !
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 09:23:40 PM »

... Honestly, there's probably not that many games you want that are left exclusively in Japan, and if there are they aren't getting much coverage. The closest that I can immediately think of is Sakura Taisen, which takes place around WW1 I think.

Edit: I'm going on setting here by the way, not music.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: