Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 03:22:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318867 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  BOFDQ: Good or bad?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: BOFDQ: Good or bad?  (Read 3981 times)
maverick

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 05, 2007, 01:29:38 AM »

So I had this conversation with my brother and he completely despises Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter because of the character design and it not following a real BOF tradition. I on the other hand really liked the game because I thought the challenge and battle system was one of the best. I liked BOF3 maybe a little more but I feel this game hasn't been given chances just because of the way it looks. What are you guys thoughts?

"To be honest your logic reeks more of a drunk man...but calling you drunk would be a compliment because that would mean one day you could awaken from this state of ignorance."
- Originally Posted by Younggrease
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2007, 01:49:02 AM »

You'll find most everyone, well, either agreeing with you or your brother. Maybe for different reasons, but it's one of the most love or hate RPGs I've seen. Personally, I think it's pretty good, though I have yet to actually beat it.
maverick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2007, 01:55:33 AM »

Yeah I agree with the you either love it or hate it.

One thing I found funny about it, is the artist or character artist's name is not there in the booklet. lol. Still like the game though.

"To be honest your logic reeks more of a drunk man...but calling you drunk would be a compliment because that would mean one day you could awaken from this state of ignorance."
- Originally Posted by Younggrease
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2007, 01:59:42 AM »

I loved the game aside from the fact that the game over system that annoyed me to hell a few times. It has awesome music!
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2007, 02:41:06 AM »

It is a good game, but the thing that turns many off from it is the difficult and oftentimes scary save system. Aside from your brother and his trivial graphical criticisms, I'd like to think that everyone feels the same way.

While I did find the save system totally irksome, the rest of the game was beautifully crafted. Definately different from the series' basic formula, but I welcomed the changes.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2007, 03:21:49 AM »

I really enjoyed it personally. Finished it 3 times and still didnít get everything. Iím not a fan of the save system, but thatís about the only aspect I didnít really like. I loved how different monsters reacted to you when you were near, and I always enjoyed the challenge in random battles. The story and music were great too.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 09:37:51 AM »

Put me down as hate.  It's too dull and repetitive for my tastes.  I've tried to push through it a couple of times because I hear the story gets really good, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

It doesn't help that there's a fucking timer.  I hate games with timers.

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2007, 04:07:58 PM »

I liked it, but found it too hard for me. I'm generally a lazy gamer, and that's one game you can't be lazy with. It's a shame, because I did enjoy it, and would have liked to press on with it. But the save system, and, as DR said, the timer, somewhat killed it for me.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2007, 04:47:22 PM »

Quote from: "The Darkrider"
Put me down as hate.  It's too dull and repetitive for my tastes.  I've tried to push through it a couple of times because I hear the story gets really good, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

There's a timer? What are you talking about?

Oh, the counter thing. That goes at such a slow rate that it doesn't even really matter. It only gets boosted by much when you go into the dragon mode. Or use D-rush.  Which the game encourages you to use anyways. So there's no downfall to any of it. It's how the game works.

I loved it. It also has on of my favorite RPG soundtracks ever. I never did get everything in the game though. Getting a 1/4 ratio is near impossible.

And I'm not sure why people found it too hard. I thought the challenge was fair. I'm really trying to think of things that were hard, but I can't. XD

"Oh, a hunter..."
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 05:01:05 PM »

Quote from: "Fadedsun"

Oh, the counter thing. That goes at such a slow rate that it doesn't even really matter. It only gets boosted by much when you go into the dragon mode. Or use D-rush.  Which the game encourages you to use anyways. So there's no downfall to any of it. It's how the game works.

I don't give a fuck if it goes up a tenth of a percentage every fucking hour.  If there's even a chance that I can't beat an RPG due to running out of time, then my interest plummets.

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 05:47:23 PM »

Quote from: "Fadedsun"

I don't give a fuck if it goes up a tenth of a percentage every fucking hour.  If there's even a chance that I can't beat an RPG due to running out of time, then my interest plummets.

Well, you don't need to get angry about it. Haha

All I'm trying to say is, there is no way your timer will run out if you normally go through the game without abusing the Dragon transform. You could even use it a couple times and still have time left. D rush too.

"Oh, a hunter..."
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 07:37:05 PM »

If there's even a chance that I can't beat an RPG due to running out of time,

There's not really even a chance. If you don't use the DRush thing constantly, You'd have to spend 20 some hours dicking about running back and forth to run out of time. Doing the whole dungeon only takes like, seven hours on a single run-through.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 08:21:32 PM »

But some of the bosses are so cheap you just about need to use the dragon form...
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2007, 08:27:30 PM »

My younger brother regards it as the best RPG ever. I'd put it in my top 10.

Quote from: "daschrier"
But some of the bosses are so cheap you just about need to use the dragon form...

Yeah, but those bosses aren't until pretty late in the game, so unless you've been pretty reckless with the DF it shouldn't be a problem.
Morwan

Herniated Dick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2007, 08:33:52 PM »

Like people said before, it's either a love it or hate it game. I fell into the former camp, which was a pleasant surprise, as I felt the previous BoF games were too generic.

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
If there's even a chance that I can't beat an RPG due to running out of time,

There's not really even a chance. If you don't use the DRush thing constantly, You'd have to spend 20 some hours dicking about running back and forth to run out of time.

It's more like 100+ of constant walking, IIRC.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: