Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 09:28:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334808 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  BOFDQ: Good or bad?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: BOFDQ: Good or bad?  (Read 4063 times)
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2007, 01:28:57 AM »

Fantastic game.  Gameplay is unusual which is the main reason why it's such a love/hate game.  I loved the gameplay, but I can understand why some people wouldn't.  The music is fantastic & the story is fabulous: very personal for an RPG.  Cutscene direction is superb as well.

And since someone mentioned, top 10 RPGs, I thought I'd make my own top list.  Had trouble paring it down and that's even after I cut out Strategy/RPGs import games, and PC RPGs, but c'est la vie.

RainbowDespair's Top Dozen Domestic Console RPGs (in no particular order)

Dragon Warrior IV (NES)
Lunar: Eternal Blue (Sega CD)
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter (PS2)
Final Fantasy VI (SNES)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (PS2)
Digital Devil Saga 1&2 (PS2)
Dragon Quest VII (PS2)
Final Fantasy X (PS2)
Phantasy Star IV (Genesis)
Xenogears (PS1)

Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2007, 07:45:16 PM »

BoF V's plot is awexome as post-apocalyptic stuff goes, but I used a Gameshark to get through it.

I lowered my D-Ratio down to 0% before the last three battles, and after that second to last battle, my ratio had already gone up to 80%. It's then I really realized that I couldn't have gotten through this game without Gameshark.

The Regents, Elyon, and Dragon Bosch are all nigh-impossible to defeat normally.
Morwan

Herniated Dick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2007, 09:54:15 PM »

Quote from: "Bernhardt"
I lowered my D-Ratio down to 0% before the last three battles, and after that second to last battle, my ratio had already gone up to 80%. It's then I really realized that I couldn't have gotten through this game without Gameshark.

I want to know exactly what you did, because I also D-Dived to defeat the last three bosses and I only had to use ~20% of the counter. You can take down any boss in a single hit by D-Diving (1.00%), using D-Charge 2-3 times (2% each)  followed by a single Twister (1.50%).
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2007, 10:01:43 PM »

Quote from: "Morwan"

I want to know exactly what you did, because I also D-Dived to defeat the last three bosses and I only had to use ~20% of the counter. You can take down any boss in a single hit by D-Diving (1.00%), using D-Charge 2-3 (2%) times followed by a single Twister (1.50%).

I used Lv.3 Dragon Attacks on Elyon, Bosch, and Dragon Bosch up to Chetyre; granted, I only had to use 1 or 2 Dragon Attacks on said bosses before I was up to 80% before the last battle; and that was without using the Gameshark.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2007, 10:02:26 PM »

He probably just didn't D-Charge. Using that skill drastically reduces the % you add to the D-Counter. Heck, use the D-Charge skill 3 times and you can take out practically any boss with twister. The First time I finished the game I was around 90%, the second time I was around 50%, just because I knew how to use the D-Counter system effectively, without overusing it.

EDIT - Too late.

That sounds pretty odd, did you use the D-Charge ability at all?

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2007, 10:51:12 PM »

Chetyre

Russian :D Anyway, might I ask what Chetyre is, and what it's the fourth of?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2007, 03:51:40 AM »

Quote from: "AJR"
He probably just didn't D-Charge. Using that skill drastically reduces the % you add to the D-Counter. Heck, use the D-Charge skill 3 times and you can take out practically any boss with twister. The First time I finished the game I was around 90%, the second time I was around 50%, just because I knew how to use the D-Counter system effectively, without overusing it.

EDIT - Too late.

Only way to get that high is using the breath attack, I think.

I think I use 50-70% of the D-counter on a regular playthrough. One playthrough I used no dragon moves at all and I didn't even use 10% before reaching the final boss.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2007, 12:37:21 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Chetyre

Russian :D Anyway, might I ask what Chetyre is, and what it's the fourth of?

Code:
Chetyre's the final dragon that you fight in BoF V; a rival dragon to your own, apparently.

Quote from: "AJR"

I don't think I did. I did use D-Dive, though.
Morwan

Herniated Dick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2007, 02:30:31 PM »

Chetyre's the final dragon that you fight in BoF V; a rival dragon to your own, apparently.

Might want to spoiler that.

EDIT:
I used Lv.3 Dragon Attacks on Elyon, Bosch, and Dragon Bosch up to Chetyre...

This too.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2007, 04:40:18 PM »

Wasn't there some difference in the European version that made the save system even gayer? I seem to remember something like that.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2007, 04:49:23 PM »

Quote from: "Degolas"
Wasn't there some difference in the European version that made the save system even gayer? I seem to remember something like that.

They forgot the quick save. When you have limited tokens for saving and save points can be, what, hours away, this is /really god damn stupid/.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2007, 05:49:32 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Quote from: "Degolas"

They forgot the quick save. When you have limited tokens for saving and save points can be, what, hours away, this is /really god damn stupid/.

OMG that is really retarded. I can't even believe that. XD Quick saving was how I played most of the game. Which is why I was wondering why people complained so much about the save system. You don't really ever have to hard save.  And to get the highest D-Ratio, I think you're only allowed to hard save once or twice.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2007, 05:56:48 PM »

Admittedly, now that I think about it I seem to recall that the European version had you start with 99 tokens. But still, that requires marathons of playing.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2007, 07:09:38 PM »

How... do you even finish the game without quicksaves? That's... buh.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2007, 07:35:31 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Admittedly, now that I think about it I seem to recall that the European version had you start with 99 tokens. But still, that requires marathons of playing.

Unfortunately it doesn't, you only start with 9.

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
How... do you even finish the game without quicksaves? That's... buh.

With great difficulty. It's possible, it just takes a very long time with long play sessions, and it's very hard to get a low D-ratio. To add insult to injury, the manual mentions the temporary save feature, but they obviously didn't bother updating the manual from the US version even though they had an entire year to do so.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: