Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 08:09:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331698 Posts in 13580 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  is nintendo leaving some of us behind?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: is nintendo leaving some of us behind?  (Read 3932 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2007, 02:37:00 AM »

Rare then went and released Viva Pinata after a bunch of irrelevant games, which a lot of people like. Unfortunately for Microsoft, neither as many as they wanted, or the audience they wanted.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2007, 02:50:55 AM »

Quote from: "Hidoshi"
-I don't think you can chalk that up to being 'hardcore'. Nintendo was pretty much the company you had to manufacture for at the time. Sega had come up in the ranks yes, but nonetheless Nintendo's popularity got them the lion's share of everything. Companies like Square and Enix were the largest RPG manufacturers and had already been onboard with Nintendo since the NES. Due to brand loyalty and Sega being the relative newcomer/underdog, it wasn't as if they were going to jump ship.

If anything, it may be said that Sega was trying to appeal to the hardcore, given its penchant for creating its own RPGs like Phantasy Star and Shining Force.

Nintendo has never been hardcore-focused. Not in the days of the NES, SNES, N64, NGC, or even now. Whatever hardcore audience they may have fostered at any given time was a byproduct of their larger market appeal, not a consciously intended audience.

You're missing the point, again. The argument was never that Nintendo was hardcore-focused. The discussion was about whether Nintendo would alienate the hardcore audience in favor of ringing in a wider, more casual consumer market.

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2007, 10:45:52 AM »

Quote from: "Dave"
Perfect Dark = Better-than-sex awesome.

Since Microsoft gobbled them up, they released a prequel to Perfect Dark for the 360 that sucked giant balls.

No way. Perfect Dark has the most interesting and balanced multiplayer I've ever experienced. Despite the fact that it has numerous weapons with gadget-like alternate fires, every weapon has many ways to counter it that gives the game a lot of depth. Pefect Dark Zero is Rare is their best form.

They also made Kameo on 360, which people seem to enjoy. I've never really played it enough to say myself.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2007, 03:53:07 PM »

I wouldn't say Nintendo's ditching the hardcore so much as trying to make their games more accessible to the mainstream.

Then again, it could very well be that Nintendo's trying to spite the hardcore market, for their past two systems, the N64 and GCN, not doing too well.

It does seem like Nintendo's trying to go for people who haven't even previously played video-games, and isn't too interested in the traditional "gamer" audience anymore.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2007, 04:45:09 PM »

I forgot Kameo, heh. I didn't think it was THAT great from the demo I played, but some people love it, which is more than I can say for PDZ.

And spiting hardcore gamers makes no sense. Nintendo's reliably earned money for all but one quarter, they have no reason to spite the people that've kept them in the black for so long. Sure, they weren't in number 1 place, but look at Xbox. That never turned a profit until what? NOW?
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2007, 04:51:21 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
And spiting hardcore gamers makes no sense. Nintendo's reliably earned money for all but one quarter, they have no reason to spite the people that've kept them in the black for so long. Sure, they weren't in number 1 place, but look at Xbox. That never turned a profit until what? NOW?

Unless you think it's those hardcore gamers who've abandoned you, when, if you think the N64 and GCN suffered because hardcore gamers didn't buy or play your games.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2007, 05:06:13 PM »

It's probably partially the hardcore audience that cares in the first place. And it makes no sense for a business to be petty and alienate people simply out of spite.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: