Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 06:15:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334803 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Anyone into Puzzle Quest?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Anyone into Puzzle Quest?  (Read 1887 times)
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 22, 2007, 10:52:28 AM »

I didn't pay this game any attention (mostly because I don't care for puzzles) but I kept hearing some interesting stuff about it. However, the other day I read that it was originally slated as a spin-off of the Warlords franchise (the original title was Warlords: Champions, referenced in the title now as Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords) and developed by the Warlords team.

This has gotten me pretty interested in the game. Anyone here played it and have some opinions on it? Is it worth messing with for the RPG elements alone?
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2007, 11:38:59 AM »

It's fun, at times. Story's a little cliche but not terrible.

Can get frustrating at times, but not too much.

You can probably find it cheap now, it's worth picking up if you can.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2007, 12:00:07 PM »

If you want to try before you buy you can always get the PC demo here.
karka

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 01:17:22 PM »

Just stay away from the PSP version.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2007, 09:40:01 PM »

Quote from: "Cauton"
If you want to try before you buy you can always get the PC demo here.

Nice! This game is apparently getting ported to every possible platform ever.

Quote from: "karka"
Just stay away from the PSP version.

Why's that? I haven't heard about any game-breaking problems with it. In fact, I've heard that the interface is actually easier to manipulate not using a touch screen.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2007, 09:45:47 PM »

It seems basically that if you want a prettier game, go with PSP. If you want a better interface, DS.

I'm a cheap bastard and will just wait for the presumably 10 buck XBLA version. If it costs any more than that though, I'll probably just look into getting either the DS or PSP version.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 03:04:56 AM »

Also, there's a bug in the PSP version. Me, I'll probably get the PC version when it ships. I adore the demo, and it's perfect game to play when you just want to kill some time. Booting up a console for a puzzle game is too time consuming in my mind.
karka

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2007, 09:18:46 AM »

Actually, there are two bugs.  One makes companion bonuses useless, and other prevents you to use your higher level skills.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2007, 01:12:38 PM »

I'm waiting for the Xbox Live Arcade version to come out since I sold my DS :(

There's also a Wii version coming for $30
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2007, 07:57:06 PM »

Actually, there are two bugs.  One makes companion bonuses useless, and other prevents you to use your higher level skills.

Oh shit. Interesting. Looks like it'll be the DS version then. That's rather unfortunate too, because I don't have much else to play on my PSP right now.

Quote from: "Thoren"
There's also a Wii version coming for $30

God damn. Hopefully the next true-to-form Warlords game will get released on so many different platforms.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2007, 08:10:10 PM »

I played the demo a little bit today.  If the PC version is cheap enough, it's gonna get acquired.  So simple, yet so fun. :P

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 09:28:54 AM »

Quote from: "Willy Elektrix"

Oh shit. Interesting. Looks like it'll be the DS version then. That's rather unfortunate too, because I don't have much else to play on my PSP right now.

The PSP isn't that bad. You don't really notice the bugs. Companion bonuses are probably useful in the beginning, but during the later half of the game they don't matter anymore.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2007, 07:53:27 PM »

Quote from: "Tomara"
The PSP isn't that bad. You don't really notice the bugs. Companion bonuses are probably useful in the beginning, but during the later half of the game they don't matter anymore.

You're probably right, and maybe I wouldn't have even noticed that my companions aren't doing anything, but now that I know they aren't, it will eat away at me. Therefore, the PSP version is dead to me.
semjaza

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2007, 11:41:39 AM »

There's actually some major bugs in the DS version as well, from what I've read. Neither version is perfect, apparently.

Personally, I think the wide screen on the PSP makes the interface rather easy to understand and use. I like having every thing right in front of me because it's impossible to concentrate on two different screens simultaneously... Plus, considering you basically are just moving one thing at a time at a pretty normal pace, I don't think the touch screen controls are that important either. I have not played the DS version, however, so these are just kind of my reasoning for it lol.

I'm honestly mostly looking forward to the XBLA version on 360. Quite a deal if it hits for 800 points.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: