Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 04:15:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338399 Posts in 13853 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Persona 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 41 Print
Author Topic: Persona 3  (Read 70579 times)
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: August 14, 2007, 01:14:09 PM »

Quote from: "dalucifer0"
And I thought today was the actual release date. >.> I went to GameStop asking for it, and they said it'd be in tomorrow....

Yeah, ship dates and release dates are two different things. Sucks, doesn't it? :P
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: August 14, 2007, 02:44:04 PM »

It'd be nice if the ship date was, say, a few days ahead, and the release date was when they could actually sell it, like with books and music :(

In any case, here's hoping my gamestop gets it. I wouldn't be surprised if they've stopped ordering  PS2 games.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Jylan

No place to run Coward!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: August 14, 2007, 04:30:04 PM »

I am giddy for tomorrow when my EB should have this game. For some reason until a few days ago i missed the little detail about how Persona's are summoned.

By blowing them out of your head with a gun???

I bet the ESRB had a field day with that :).

Bummer we are not getting the "Fes" version. Perhaps i have gotten used to being treated to a Directors Cut of almost every imported RPG lately that i sort of assumed if it happens we will get it. Oh well, still very happy to get a new SMT title.

My multi-boxing World of Warcraft blog.

araydendj.blogspot.com
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 14, 2007, 04:38:54 PM »

Quote from: "Jylan"
I bet the ESRB had a field day with that :).

I hear they just decided to mark it as 'violence' when they saw that. Also, we're not getting Fes with Persona 3 because it's more or less an expansion pack, not simply a few extras like in SMT:N or SO3. We can still theoretically get it, I don't see SCEA caring anymore about what's released for the PS2 if they're allowing $15 cheapo games now. It seems slim, but they're just releasing P3, so we'll see if the game's received well enough that they release it too.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: August 14, 2007, 08:42:17 PM »

Quote from: "Sketch"
Quote from: "dalucifer0"
And I thought today was the actual release date. >.> I went to GameStop asking for it, and they said it'd be in tomorrow....

Yeah, ship dates and release dates are two different things. Sucks, doesn't it? :P

I saw Madden '08 there. :P
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 14, 2007, 08:48:16 PM »

Sigh. We ALWAYS get someone who thinks like this with a new release. How long until people know better? It's not like anyone here is new to picking up these niche games, or so I'd assume.

Anyways, Madden 08 is a huge game. It could even be the best selling of this year, as it was last year. That game's shipped ahead of time and stocked at stores to be released on a specific day. Halo will be the same way. Bioshock is the same way. But basically anything that isn't heavily marketted, like all Atlus releases, just come into stores when they're shipped there and arrived. Essentially, Madden probably shipped the 8th and was kept in the store until today. There are some games that're huge but are stocked on the shipping day, that's because they're not being held back ala Madden yet are major releases. The only example I could think of such is Metroid Prime.

Edit: Also, games like MP are because the Manager went and picked the game up from the shippers, probably UPS/FedEx. Which would only happen if the game had an assload of preorders.

Edit 2: Changed "apparently will be the same way" to "is", thanks to the Bioshock thread.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: August 14, 2007, 09:57:28 PM »

I was thinking about the whole evoker thing the other day and it occurred to me that there is a Dog in the party (it's not spoilers, see the website). How does the dog off himself to summon his persona?
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: August 14, 2007, 10:02:16 PM »

The evoker is contained in his collar.

Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: August 15, 2007, 12:44:55 AM »

EDIT: Eusis, do you really think I'm going to wade through a 6 page thread to see if someone already posted the Persona 3 Penny Arcade comic?! I'd have to be retarded to do THAT.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 15, 2007, 12:56:23 AM »

So, I make a passing mention of Halo, and Madden was briefly brought up as an example of a game that came out today whereas Persona 3 wasn't out, and so you feel the need to post not only a late link to the PA comic for Persona 3, but the one to Halo 3's beta too that only has a passing mention of Madden, with nothing else worthwhile to post aside from the fact that you too mistook the shipping date for the release date...

... Sir, are you mentally retarded?
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: August 15, 2007, 01:20:54 AM »

Bern, the way you link PA comics kills their jokes entirely.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: August 15, 2007, 01:35:30 AM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Sigh. We ALWAYS get someone who thinks like this with a new release. How long until people know better? It's not like anyone here is new to picking up these niche games, or so I'd assume.

Anyways, Madden 08 is a huge game. It could even be the best selling of this year, as it was last year. That game's shipped ahead of time and stocked at stores to be released on a specific day. Halo will be the same way. Bioshock is the same way. But basically anything that isn't heavily marketted, like all Atlus releases, just come into stores when they're shipped there and arrived. Essentially, Madden probably shipped the 8th and was kept in the store until today. There are some games that're huge but are stocked on the shipping day, that's because they're not being held back ala Madden yet are major releases. The only example I could think of such is Metroid Prime.

Edit: Also, games like MP are because the Manager went and picked the game up from the shippers, probably UPS/FedEx. Which would only happen if the game had an assload of preorders.

Edit 2: Changed "apparently will be the same way" to "is", thanks to the Bioshock thread.

I was just joking about the Madden thing. It's common sense that it'd be out on the day of it's release. I'm not a retard, and sorry for websites like IGN saying Persona 3 would be released on August 14. I usually don't even bother to buy games on their "release dates," and it obviously showed.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 15, 2007, 01:49:00 AM »

Don't worry, the retard comment certainly wasn't to you. Anyways, it just surprises me each that it happens half the time a game comes out. I learned that with Chrono Cross back in 2000, and that's... Damn, 7 years already? That's unrelated though. I can't really speak for IGN, but technically GameStop only says lists the date games will ship from them if you order online, not when they'll be in stores or whatever. Maybe they should start listing that, although it probably seems redundant since they'd also be the ship date +1.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: August 15, 2007, 02:04:03 AM »

Yeah, I had just figured it'd be there, but I'll just pick it up Saturday after my next paycheck. And I just started buying my own games recently, so it's just a rookie mistake, I suppose.

Yeah, and I did preorder the game, but since they said they'd only hold it for 2 days, I was effed in the a, since I bought a couple of cheap games, and I didn't have enough money to go back in two days, so I had to ask them to cancel the preorder and gimme my cash back. I sure felt dumb twice while I was there...
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: August 15, 2007, 06:03:41 PM »

Good thing I pre-ordered this just the day before it came out; my local Gamestop only got one copy in.

Here's my first impressions, 1-2 hours into the game; you don't know until you save, because the menu doesn't show a log timer.

CAN I WALK AROUND ON MY OWN, PLEASE?!

The game takes awhile to get started during the first 1-2 hours (and that's going exactly where you need to without taking any time to explore). During that time, you can't even open up your menu! For those first two hours, the game pretty much plays itself, as you're lead around by the hand to go where you need to.

Voice-overs

Other than the mysterious boy in the jail uniform/Chesire Cat skin (his voice-actor had too much trouble sounding ethereal), and Shuji Ikutsuki (his voice-actor announciates and emphasizes all the wrong words), the English voice-acting's pretty decent. But, what's the deal with the hero being silent?!

This is one damn psychedelic game!

First is that the game actually has some decent anime scenes, and plenty of them, which are pretty poetic if not crack-induced, given some of the different graphics that flash, and how the sound and music play and change.

Much of the graphics are pretty cool; the warbly effects of the Dark Hour and the moving towers in Tartarus's lobby are trippy. And, of course, the checker board motif is there, too. Oh yes, and the Velvet Room is also awexome, because it's like you're in one huge, fancy elevator.

Suicide, Shmuicide...

Then there's the fact, as someone said, that you blow Personas out your head with a gun. I would've been more surprised if I'd seen it myself instead of hearing about it before hand, but your characters don't exactly fall over headless from summonings...

Battles

When you walk around dungeons, with your team members following you, brandishing your weapons, you almost get the impression battles that are going to be real-time, hack n' slash, but this's still Shin Megami Tensei we're talking about, here, e.g., turn-based battles.

Soundtrack

Not usually a fan of Shoji Meguro, and I didn't care for the soundtrack samples that RPGFan has here on the site, but the stuff I've heard in-game has been pretty catchy, and different from what I usually listen to. It's a good thing Atlus packaged some of the soundtrack with the game, to tide me over so I can buy the full thing.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 41 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: