Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 08:12:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319168 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Persona 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 41 Print
Author Topic: Persona 3  (Read 68135 times)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #90 on: August 15, 2007, 06:05:35 PM »

Quote from: "Bernhardt"
Battles

When you walk around dungeons, with your team members following you, brandishing your weapons, you almost get the impression battles that are going to be real-time, hack n' slash, but this's still Shin Megami Tensei we're talking about, here, e.g., turn-based battles.

Erm, just as a note, the last PS2 SMT game released, Devil Summoner, did have a real time combat system.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #91 on: August 15, 2007, 06:14:12 PM »

Quote from: "KeeperX"
Battles

When you walk around dungeons, with your team members following you, brandishing your weapons, you almost get the impression battles that are going to be real-time, hack n' slash, but this's still Shin Megami Tensei we're talking about, here, e.g., turn-based battles.

Erm, just as a note, the last PS2 SMT game released, Devil Summoner, did have a real time combat system.

Yeah, I, uhh...the only Shin Megami Tensei games I've ever gotten my hands on are Digital Devil Saga 2, and Persona 3, and I've only seen Persona 2 briefly.

Although, I've been wanting to get ahold of Devil Summoner...
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #92 on: August 15, 2007, 06:49:14 PM »

My gamestop also only got one copy.

The game takes awhile to get started during the first 1-2 hours (and that's going exactly where you need to without taking any time to explore).

You can't explore in the first hour and a half anyway. It's like, entirely non-interactive till you get to Tartarus, save for some really, really pointless wandering you can do in your dorm.

and Shuji Ikutsuki (his voice-actor announciates and emphasizes all the wrong words)

Isn't he supposed to?

Anyway, I don't know how I feel about the lack of party control. The battle system seems sort of 'Stun! Stun! Stun! COMBO!' now. I'm hoping it get more strategic later.

I don't reallyl ike how you apparently have to talk to your other party members to equip them.

Also I kinda wish you still had demon conversations, and that they, say, related back to your academic/charm/athletic rating.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: August 15, 2007, 09:12:18 PM »

I haven't started playing yet, but I am quite impressed with the packaging, especially the art book. I didn't realize that this is what they were holding the shipment up for. Fair warning for those who don't like spoilers: some of the drawings in the art book could possibly give away story bits, especially (I'm only going to point out pictures)
Code:
the pictures of Thanatos and Messiah. I won't explain, but I'm making a connection just by the pictures and not having known anything about the plot.

So yeah, just fair warning. I'm not saying don't look at the art book, I'm just saying that it could spoil some things for you. It'll probably get me somewhere towards the end of the game. Or maybe not. Maybe I'm 100% wrong in my assumptions. But who knows. Better safe than sorry, right?
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #94 on: August 15, 2007, 10:38:21 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
and Shuji Ikutsuki (his voice-actor announciates and emphasizes all the wrong words)

Isn't he supposed to?

He's...supposed to sound awkward?

Man, I've never had this much comments to say about a game before...

The best thing about this game?! You can go to the BATHROOM!!

I wish my MP3 player was as small as the main character's; why does he not have a set name?!

It's also funny how practically every teacher hates the curriculum they're supposed to teach.

The classroom interactions are rather pointless; the choice you're supposed to choose is always so obvious. It's like, "Here's a chance to improve your academics/charm/etc. thrust upon you!" You stayed awake! Your academics improved!" A classroom SIMULATOR?! Like you don't/didn't spend enough time in school as it is/was...

You know, I can't look at Junpei without thinking he's a baseball coach/captain...that hat...who wears a baseball cap with a suit?!

Oh, here's a funny comment Re: Yukari Takeba, from the artbook: "Since she was written to sound very contemporary, she tended to complain a lot. In the end, she turned out to be the most realistic of the female characters, so I suspect that players will relate to her the most." - Shigenori Soejima

Hah, he's saying all you kids are whiny!

Oh yeah, guess what the guy before me in line picked up?! MADDEN!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!! Yeah, he was wearing a baseball cap and Adidas sandals with socks. Jocks are so weird...
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2007, 11:25:46 PM »

He's...supposed to sound awkward?

I think they mention in the artbook that he's supposed to be awkward and always tells really unfunny jokes.

Anyway, I think I like this more than persona 2 so far. Kenji's sort of a dick. I need to get involved with the kendo club more.

I wish food restored fatigue in the dungen :<

Also:

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/persona/persona3/screens/persona316.jpg

What the hell?

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/persona/persona3/screens/persona394.jpg

Many lols at using the same cast for different clubs.

o/` I do not dream o/`

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: August 16, 2007, 12:02:52 AM »

Don't worry about fatigue much. The higher your level, the less often you get fatigued. I suggest not picking on every shadow on sight for now. I was also bummed for using the same cast for different clubs, but at least there are a lot of interesting characters to establish links with.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 16, 2007, 12:32:15 AM »

Oh yeah, guess what the guy before me in line picked up?! MADDEN!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!!

That isn't funny, why the fuck are you laughing at that?
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #98 on: August 16, 2007, 12:46:32 AM »

Yeah, I, uhh...the only Shin Megami Tensei games I've ever gotten my hands on are Digital Devil Saga 2, and Persona 3, and I've only seen Persona 2 briefly.

huh...coincidently, thats the exact same I've only played...sorta.  Persona 3 one day delay on this end... boo.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: August 16, 2007, 01:17:17 AM »

The hollywood video in town didn't have it cause fed ex hadn't come by at that point. Feel bad cause my friend works there :[

Anyway, fatigue doesn't worry me. Just saying, food having an extra use would be neat.

Anywy though, the sort of 'survival' nature the dungeon introduces is definitely cool. I'm GUESSING there's a larger emphasis on long-term strategy than short-term strategies here.

also, the idea of a linear tower is something i like -- same for a dungeon that goes deeper constantly only, you know, in reverse. why I liked ffl1 so much, or nethack.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Jylan

No place to run Coward!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: August 16, 2007, 11:42:09 AM »

Got my copy yesterday and absolutely love it! I had a very difficult time putting the controller down to go to bed. So many things i like about this game it's hard to put it into words.

So far my only complaint, as silly as it may be is there is TOO much to do. I feel like it's impossible to juggle everything. Perhaps that is the intent though to encourage multiple playthroughs? Game is incredible so far, can't wait to get back to it!

My multi-boxing World of Warcraft blog.

araydendj.blogspot.com
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #101 on: August 16, 2007, 12:00:15 PM »

BTW, are there any story/setting connections to the first three games?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2007, 12:02:27 PM »

Quote from: "Jylan"
So far my only complaint, as silly as it may be is there is TOO much to do. I feel like it's impossible to juggle everything. Perhaps that is the intent though to encourage multiple playthroughs?

That's correct.  There IS too much to do; on my first playthrough, I achieved Rank 10 on only 13 out of 21 Commus (Social Links).  It's literally impossible to do them all on the first game, so a second playthrough is quite necessary for the completionists.  As you progress, things will become a little more managable, but it is /definitely/ overwhelming at first.

Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2007, 12:02:52 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
BTW, are there any story/setting connections to the first three games?

No.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2007, 06:20:38 PM »

This game sort of has a Nintendo-game feel to it in the sense that it seems like there's more stuff to do as you go along, which I rather like.

anyway, gamespot's review mentioned it can get a bit tedious to trek through the dungeons repeatedly. Something I've noticed, though, is that using the 'split up' option can greatly reduce the time you need, in addition to leading to some interesting one-on-three situations and the like.

---yeditye---

Also, I keep seeing little parallels to devil summoner, gameplay wise (though, isn't the cop in P3 named Kuzunoha? Or aren't pretty much all of the cops in the SMT games named that or something?) The ability to split up is sort of like how you could control a single demon in DS, as is the AI control in battles (Though, Persona 3's guys are thankfully a lot better working, although it seemed inDS that some demons just had better AI than others. Was there some stat behind this?)

I'm sort of worried people migth, say, play the first two hours of Persona 3 and give up because nothing really happens till past that. I mean, hell, I almost gave up on it.

Anyway, I definitely feel the battle system is more balanced than Persona 2's.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 41 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: