Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 19, 2014, 09:56:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331662 Posts in 13579 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Persona 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 41 Print
Author Topic: Persona 3  (Read 69904 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2007, 08:05:19 PM »

Quote from: "Bernhardt"
EDIT: Eusis, do you really think I'm going to wade through a 6 page thread to see if someone already posted the Persona 3 Penny Arcade comic?! I'd have to be retarded to do THAT.

Didn't notice this since I normally expect replies in new posts and not edits of old ones! The reply wasn't really about that, the comic was late because it was put up a week prior so a post just to announce PA put up a strip about it is, well, late. But doing that alone I wouldn't have really cared about anyway.

The problem with that post was the whole deal with quoting my post and going "HEY YOU MENTIONED HALO 3, I THINK I WILL POST A PA LINK TO THAT TOO HAHA THEY'RE FUNNY!!!!!" It's not funny when dragged up for such a frivolous reason, it just makes you look stupid, and if you were to do it every time some game came up and a PA strip so much as uttered it's name (which is literally the case with you tying Madden into that too) it'd get old very fast, and I'd dare say spammy. The P3 strip just compounded that effect, not to mention the last time you did this.
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2007, 08:10:33 PM »

I'm a little surprised at the number of people who are complaining about the length of the intro sequences.  It's not THAT long.  It's barely HALF the length of Valkyrie Profile's intro, and Valkyrie Profile is heralded among many as one of the best RPGs in the 32-bit era.  Good lord, have a bit more patience, people. :P

EDIT:  Since I just noticed this...

Quote from: "Bernhardt"
Oh yeah, guess what the guy before me in line picked up?! MADDEN!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA!!! Yeah, he was wearing a baseball cap and Adidas sandals with socks. Jocks are so weird...

...since when are ADIDAS SANDALS the emblem of a jock?  I wear Adidas sandals for Christ's sake.  They're comfortable, they're cheap, they're reasonably fashionable, and yet I hardly consider myself the captain of the soccer team.  I also own a couple baseball caps, and in fact, I'm wearing an Abercrombie T-shirt AT THIS VERY MOMENT.  Since when is /looking good and having style/ a bad thing?  Just because you're a 'gamer' doesn't mean you need to be a shut-in nose-picking geek.  Stop perpetuating stupid stereotypes and go get laid.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2007, 08:19:11 PM »

I know someone who flat out quit VP because he got bored with the intro taking too long! I'd have to play Persona 3, and this may not even really apply to that, but I do think game intros need to drag a lot less.

... I was just going to edit this into my last post, but since there was a reply I may as well just throw it in a new post anyway. The comic wasn't posted prior, but it's not that hard to quickly glance at older posts in a thread just 6 pages long and look for green url text or, to make this even easier, the actual PA strip itself inlined. In fact, with the date of the PA strip there was only about a page of posts at that point where it could've been posted. But like I said elsewhere, it's an easy mistake to make if it was posted prior when there's pages of posts... But it's stupid to NOT look before removing it when you're accused of reposting it, or at least think you're being accused of reposting it.

Edit: And yeah, I was wondering about that Jock thing too. I actually thought it was just for picking up Madden. He could've known the guy in real life or there's details he's not mentioning though, so I decided to ignore that bit. Thinking it's hilarious someone bought a popular sports game is far stupider anyway. :P
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2007, 08:52:37 PM »

Valkyrie Profile is heralded among many as one of the best RPGs in the 32-bit era.

Sure, but the intro was still too long.

It's a videogame. Barely-interactive, half-hour long opening sequences sort of go against the whole 'game' concept.

Sticking a half-hour long non-interactive bit towards the middle or end is alright, but *not* at the beginning. That does *not* hook the player.

Anyway, Iori sort of looks like US Mark, sans for the whole 'being black' thing. Outfit's almost the same, only grey, and the attitude is similar.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2007, 11:57:46 PM »

I'm about two hours in.

Though the lack of proper direction kinda sucks, and the game is somewhat repetitive at times (but still amuses you with events happeneing in between <3), this game kicks absolute ass. =)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #110 on: August 17, 2007, 12:22:33 AM »

Anyone who thinks the intro is long has the patience of a dyslexic child with ADD.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #111 on: August 17, 2007, 12:39:27 AM »

Anyone who thinks the intro is long has the patience of a dyslexic child with ADD.

If I actually had an attention span, I'd be learning Russian and writing novels.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #112 on: August 17, 2007, 11:40:39 AM »

Just started it last night and got up to the revealing of Tartarus.

Love everything so far. Voice acting is top notch too. Junpei is hilarious, and Yukari is a very believable young, high school girl. Akihiko's voice is great as well. The only slightly bad voice is the Chair man's, but he's not terrible. It fits his personality, I suppose.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Jylan

No place to run Coward!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2007, 12:19:07 PM »

Quote from: "Shiguma"
I'm a little surprised at the number of people who are complaining about the length of the intro sequences.  It's not THAT long.  It's barely HALF the length of Valkyrie Profile's intro, and Valkyrie Profile is heralded among many as one of the best RPGs in the 32-bit era.  Good lord, have a bit more patience, people. :P

The intro did not seem especially long to me, especially after say Dragon Quest VII? Maybee i flew through it? I would say 30 mins before i hit the first battle, which is fine considering the storyline. You go like 3 hours before fighting your first group of monsters in DQ VII. The sequences before that were pretty boring if i remember correctly.

I got a bit farther in the game now, about 4-5 hours in. Is there any way i can modify or change resistance factors on my other party members? The computer can be pretty cheap at times constantly spamming group attack spells.

My multi-boxing World of Warcraft blog.

araydendj.blogspot.com
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2007, 12:31:43 PM »

Quote from: "Jylan"
I got a bit farther in the game now, about 4-5 hours in. Is there any way i can modify or change resistance factors on my other party members? The computer can be pretty cheap at times constantly spamming group attack spells.

You get other party members later on with different strengths and weaknesses. Part of the strategy is to select the right ones during bosses and other parts of the tower. You can also get equipment that increases resistance against certain elements.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #115 on: August 17, 2007, 05:10:23 PM »

When your party members are seperated, how are individual battle wins/losses calculated? Do they take into account elemental strengths and weaknesses at all

o/` I do not dream o/`

Morridor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #116 on: August 18, 2007, 02:33:05 PM »

I just got through the intro of the game and then I had to go somewhere so I shut it off.  If anything, the intro was amazing and made me want to play the game a million times more rather than make me think it was too long.  I like narrative intros like that because it gives you a starting off point.  If a game and end with a long cinematic, why can't it open with one?

Danny

Yeah, this signature was way too spammy.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #117 on: August 18, 2007, 10:38:08 PM »

5 Hours in and I am loving it. It has hooked me like no other RPG in the past year or so. I love mostly everything about it (fast combat system, dating-sim -esque school portions, art style, and anything else you could find in a review). The one part I don't like, as a bunch of people here are saying, is having too much to do, especially in relation to getting all of the commus. Looking through some FAQs for the first bits I've gone through I see how much I've missed and am kinda bummed that I won't be able to experience a whole lot of it. I'm off to play for another 3 hours.
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #118 on: August 18, 2007, 11:19:27 PM »

Quote from: "superflat"
5 Hours in and I am loving it. It has hooked me like no other RPG in the past year or so. I love mostly everything about it (fast combat system, dating-sim -esque school portions, art style, and anything else you could find in a review). The one part I don't like, as a bunch of people here are saying, is having too much to do, especially in relation to getting all of the commus. Looking through some FAQs for the first bits I've gone through I see how much I've missed and am kinda bummed that I won't be able to experience a whole lot of it. I'm off to play for another 3 hours.

I felt just like this at the 5 hour mark.  It's kind of overwhelming, but you should realize that you aren't really forced to do everything the first time through.  If anything, this game seems more designed for repeated play-thrus.  I was going to go for a perfect game, but it would just take too much fun out of it.  Enjoy being able to go wherever you want and talking to whoever you want, whenever.

This game is excellent.  All around fun and enjoyable.  Apparently the dungeons get much harder, but I'm not having a difficult time, I've only had 1 game over thus far, but I'm only at floor 25.  Having Persona's to match weaknesses is a must, apparently weaknesses are just part of the SMT series, according to everything I've read.  I'm glad I picked up the DoubleJump guide.  It's helpful for all of the fusion info and knowing all the schedules for when you can meet specific social link requirements.  My only complaint, if I had to make one, is that the music gets a little repetitive.  I'm not really into the style, but it fits the game well.  I'm just tired of having to hear the same song no matter where I go on the town map.  Please tell me it changes eventually.

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #119 on: August 18, 2007, 11:26:58 PM »

Quote from: "Masamune"
My only complaint, if I had to make one, is that the music gets a little repetitive.  I'm not really into the style, but it fits the game well.  I'm just tired of having to hear the same song no matter where I go on the town map.  Please tell me it changes eventually.

It does when you get to a new school term then late into the game.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 41 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: