Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 11:52:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329396 Posts in 13492 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Persona 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 41 Print
Author Topic: Persona 3  (Read 69680 times)
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: August 29, 2007, 05:39:24 PM »

I love this game, horrid rap and all.
I could say that about Nocturne, with its horrific goth noise in the battle tunes...
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: August 29, 2007, 05:53:09 PM »

Quote from: "Jylan"
I personally never understood why people even care about spoilers? If knowing a plot twist ahead of time ruins a game or movie, then the game relied way too much on that to deliver it's story.

Dude, are you serious? Half the point of an RPG is the story. A lot of games would be boring as shit if they didn't have compelling story elements. Take this very game for example. Running through Tartarus floor after floor with no related story (and no S.Links, those are story bits too) would be the quintessential exercise in tedium.

I'm no good at providing concise arguments and I'm sure someone else will provide a better reason why plot twists and stories are good and spoilers are bad.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 29, 2007, 06:03:59 PM »

Quote from: "superflat"
Half the point of an RPG is the story.

... I've argued enough about that. Nevertheless, P3 would be boring if you didn't have the story stuff, and it's intertwined in the gameplay so well they're really like two halves that if separated would be pretty crummy (if nothing else, I think the S.Link story lines would be pretty mundane apart from the game), so this is a case that isn't really worth dragging that argument up for.

He has a point anyway, and it was brought up before. It's better to not spoil in the off chance someone cares, and if something only has cheap shock value attached to it then you really don't want that fucked up. Still though, a good story and the truly great will not be ruined simply by being spoiled, a lot of what makes it good is in the presentation and execution. On paper, SO3 sounds like it has an awesome plot twist,
Code:
what with the the whole universe being an artificial construct for people to play in.

However the whole thing's handled sloppily and leaves a bad impression, if not outright making the concept utterly unappealing even when other things do it pretty well.

Anyways, either extreme is bad. Running your mouth off about spoilers without giving a shit that other people care and don't know is just being an asshole, and covering your ass too much is akin to living in a bubble just so you don't catch a cold.
Jylan

No place to run Coward!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: August 29, 2007, 07:00:53 PM »

I personally never understood why people even care about spoilers? If knowing a plot twist ahead of time ruins a game or movie, then the game relied way too much on that to deliver it's story.

Dude, are you serious? Half the point of an RPG is the story. A lot of games would be boring as shit if they didn't have compelling story elements. Take this very game for example. Running through Tartarus floor after floor with no related story (and no S.Links, those are story bits too) would be the quintessential exercise in tedium.

I'm no good at providing concise arguments and I'm sure someone else will provide a better reason why plot twists and stories are good and spoilers are bad.

I never said i didn't like an RPG for it's story. My point was, a spoiler revealing a major plot twist ahead of time does not really bother me like some others. That is just a personal preference though.

To avoid completely derailing this topic though, i have come to the opinion that the S-Link system is a bit "too" essential to the game. I understand it underlies the entire point of the game really, but sometimes i feel like I am playing a Beverly Hills 90210 simulator. I personally would have preferred that aspect of the game to be more of a side quest then essential for powering up your Persona.

Still loving the game though, one of the best i have played this year.

My multi-boxing World of Warcraft blog.

araydendj.blogspot.com
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: August 29, 2007, 09:03:27 PM »

Dude, are you serious? Half the point of an RPG is the story.

Yes, BUT! If the story relies entirely on shocking you with plot twists, then it's not well written.

On paper, SO3 sounds like it has an awesome plot twist,

No it doesn't :(

i have come to the opinion that the S-Link system is a bit "too" essential to the game.

Well, it's either that or demon conversation, and I honestly found the demon conversations to be *damn* tedious in Persona 2. I mean, SMT? You get a sweet new demon buuuuuddy. In Persona 2 you get a goddamn tarot card. If that. Then you had to level up for an hour so that you could do something with it and by that point your already past the part where the demon-persona-thing you wanted wouldn't have sucked.

Instead, I get to try and pick apart whether or not Kenji is, in fact, gay.

Granted, the fact that you could tell a demon to learn Esperanto in Persona 2 was really sweet.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 29, 2007, 09:11:36 PM »

I suppose if you boiled SO3's twist down to a basic element and tried to cut out the whole
Code:
ZOMG 4D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
bullshit. The more in detail it gets, the stupider it is until it culminates in what you actually see in the damn game. Plus the ending and crap further compounded it, making the whole damn thing pointless. There would've been a twisted purpose to it if, like I had heard, they really did put the series to rest at that point, but it looks like it'll just keep on going so fuck it.

Anyways, while the conversations in Persona 2 were pretty awesome I have to agree that the method in P3 is better. Personas are worthwhile immediately, but they can be made even more awesome with high S.Links. P2? You had to converse with demons multiple times to get enough cards, then you make your Persona, which you then went to grind so it'd have some damn skills. It could still be awesome for your point depending on how it was ground up, but it's still overly tedious and drags down an otherwise awesome game. P3 gets repetitive too, but it's got... Hmm. A Harvest Moon-type charm to it. It's interesting to see how everything you're 'growing' turns out, whether it's relationships or your 3 social stats.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: August 30, 2007, 01:03:35 AM »

Wait, yeah, how did persona making in P2 work? Did you just have to get X number of cards and take them to the velvet room?

I think I liked it better in Persona 1 where you just got two cards and went all Mickey Rooney on that bollocks.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: August 30, 2007, 02:03:50 PM »

You know, for all my bitching about the rap, there is actually some pretty good music to be heard in this game. I am particularly fond of "Changing Seasons."

Is it at all possible to defeat Death?
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: August 30, 2007, 02:19:07 PM »

Quote from: "Lord Scottish"

Is it at all possible to defeat Death?

Yeah, but not until you're atleast somewhere close to his level.  You also need a special skill that you get from maxing out 2 particular S.Link's.  Said skill does 9999 damage and overkills Death.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: August 30, 2007, 09:12:14 PM »

Anyone else notice that Creepy Boy That Breaks Into Your Bedroom sounds a LOT like an Arilou-laleelay?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: September 03, 2007, 07:06:31 AM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
Wait, yeah, how did persona making in P2 work? Did you just have to get X number of cards and take them to the velvet room?

I think I liked it better in Persona 1 where you just got two cards and went all Mickey Rooney on that bollocks.

Yeah, that's how Persona making in Innocent Sin and Eternal Punishment worked.  

I like how it works in Persona 3.  Instead of talking to demons, I'm talking to people and forging social relationships to bolster my personae.  

I just started the game a couple of days ago and I'm enjoying it a lot.  The story is more subtle and less meaty than prior Persona games (so far at least; I just finished midterms in the game) but I'm liking the school aspects of it.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 04, 2007, 03:58:31 AM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
I like how it works in Persona 3.  Instead of talking to demons, I'm talking to people and forging social relationships to bolster my personae.

At first I was surprised when I read that given your comments and I believe disappointment at the demon conversing being minimalized then outright removed in Devil Summoner, but thinking about it just a bit more it makes sense you'd feel that way. This is pretty much just a more natural offshot of the concept anyway and the better choice. As silly and awesome as it is to interrogate and threaten a demon, only to entertain it, it gets old after doing it a few hundred times and makes little sense anyway.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: September 04, 2007, 01:24:30 PM »

Anyway, at that, does anyone sort of get the feeling that Persona 3 is developing a lot of ideas that came out of the last Devil Summoner game? Maybe it's more like developers getting a stylistic bee in their stylistic bonnet, but there are certain things that just FEEL similar.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Crown Clown

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: September 09, 2007, 01:18:50 PM »

Puh, I finally beat the game. Took me the better part of 110+ hours even though I didn't get everything done. I wonder what took such a long time? Now, I stand before the eternal question when I've beaten certain games.

Not really spoilers, but I like being thorough.

Code:
Namely; I'm going to play it again right away, trying to get 100%. Therefore, should I play a New Game+ or start from scratch? I always have a hard time deciding this. I don't really like fact that I lose all the challenge if I go with the New Game+ what with retaining my level, but it seems like a waste just deleting it.

Hm....what to do....

I will find you. Without fail.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: September 09, 2007, 03:58:37 PM »

I never said i didn't like an RPG for it's story. My point was, a spoiler revealing a major plot twist ahead of time does not really bother me like some others. That is just a personal preference though.

I'm the same with most games. For instance, the entire plot of Symphonia was ruined for me before I'd even played the game, but I didn't care really. Also, I read on Gamefaqs what happens at the end of Nocturne.

But a major plot spoiler in, say, DDS would be annoying to me because the story is the main reason to play that game. Minor spoilers make no difference, really.
Code:
Finding out that all the characters are AIs is no big deal as it's obvious within about 2 hours. Likewise, knowing Jenna Angel's a hermaphrodite doesn't ruin anything, but knowing that Sera's her daughter does rather.

In MegaTen games plot spoilers are not good, because there wouldn't be any point to all the tedious bits otherwise. Though Nocturne's story doesn't seem to matter at all - it is basically an "adult" version of Pokemon.

And as for the S-Link system, it sounds better to me than killing everything but the demon you want, giving it all your good gems/healing items, then giving the wrong answer to a random philosophical question, thus wasting said items, like in SMT.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 41 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: