Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 09:14:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327320 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Persona 3
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 41 Print
Author Topic: Persona 3  (Read 69251 times)
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: September 09, 2007, 04:35:44 PM »

Eus- Not only did I think that negotiating with demons/ dealing with devils was part of the charm of Megami Tensei, I liked the idea of being able to talk my way out of battles if I didn't want to fight.

But a big reason why I like Persona 3 is that the school ties stuff is almost like a visual novel and those storylines are, to me, more interesting than the shadows and Tartarus storyline.  Choosing what S-Link relationships to pursue is deeper and more interesting than just choosing which girl to go after.  The S-Links encompass friendships, dating, mentor-student, grandparent-grandchild, etc.  

And when it comes to stories, schools are always my favorite settings.  School is such an important, eventful part of one's life and culture.  Even on days when "nothing" happens, a lot still is.  Previous Persona games had a lot of school ties stuff, but this one takes the school ties stuff to a whole 'nother level.  

I'd say the only thing I don't like about Persona 3 is that SP doesn't regenerate as you walk around and SP recovery items like chewing souls are difficult to come by or obtain.

I approve of this nonsense!
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: September 09, 2007, 05:08:58 PM »

So, uhh...if your character wields multiple personas, does that mean he's schizophrenic?

Quote from: "Crown Clown"
I'm going to play it again right away, trying to get 100%. Therefore, should I play a New Game+ or start from scratch? I always have a hard time deciding this. I don't really like fact that I lose all the challenge if I go with the New Game+ what with retaining my level, but it seems like a waste just deleting it.

After playing through a 100+ hour game, I'd be tired no matter how fun it was. When a New Game + option is given to me, I use it. That is, if there are multiple endings to go for afterwards. After all, at least the later enemies and final boss will probably still retain their challenge. Of course, I hate level-building.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2007, 07:06:40 PM »

does that mean he's schizophrenic?

No, because schizophrenia and dissociative identity disorder are two goddamn fucking different things, kids.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: September 09, 2007, 09:10:53 PM »

Quote from: "MeshGearFox"
does that mean he's schizophrenic?

No, because schizophrenia and dissociative identity disorder are two goddamn fucking different things, kids.

OHH, so it's D.I.D., then! Wow, I can't believe they actually managed to put a positive spin on D.I.D.; between that, and pointing guns at your head, this game is so rockstar...

Man, during that opening anime scene with Yukari, were you kinda hoping that she'd blow her brains out, or were you like, "Don't do it, don't do it!!"

[sarcasm] I was kinda like both. [/sarcasm]

Incidentally, Yukari's actually become one of my favorite characters. She says for you everything you want to say...it's like she can read your mind...

The writers did a pretty good job anticipating how the audience would react to the script; they're very self-aware.
Crown Clown

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: September 10, 2007, 04:34:22 AM »

Of course, I hate level-building.

I'm not entirely over fond of it either to be sure, at least if I just spent a good chunk of time leveling my characters but the issue gets harder to form a decision on in this case. Persona 3 is a game that needs both of it's equally important parts to become enjoyable playing as a date sim during the day and a standard dungeon crawler at night. If I were to start with my character retaining the same level, I wouldn't have any need to explore the Tartarus and gain levels, devise new personas and so forth. As such, the overall experience will suffer as a fine blend of both parts is needed to get all of the flavor.

I will find you. Without fail.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: September 10, 2007, 05:27:03 AM »

Tch, I just want to mess around with the dating-sim parts...

...although, the whole, "World facing impending doom" does make it seem more like your stereotypical uber-philosophical-emo-anti-hero-battling-the-darkness necessity-cliche-obligatoriness anime.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: September 21, 2007, 02:58:25 PM »

ending spoilers.

Code:
Ending kinda pissed me off.  I don't know why.  I've played other games where the main character dies (might as well be dead, coma/comatose or whatever) and it didn't feel so unsatisfying.  Maybe it's because you spend so much of the game building up social links and relationships with people and in the end it doesn't matter anymore.  I guess the optimist could say it does matter because you change people's lives through the S-link ranks, but it still felt unsatisfying. Anyone else feel that way?  I don't really care if FES comes out or not anymore.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: September 21, 2007, 04:54:03 PM »

But Akanbe...

FES addresses that little "disappointment" in Episode Aegis. :)

Jylan

No place to run Coward!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: September 21, 2007, 05:12:22 PM »

In regards to what Akanbe said.

Code:
I agree. The ending,*after reading the Fes summary* is extremely depressing and a major downer. The entire story seems even more sadistic after forcing you to develop such strong social bonds between the protagonist and his friends, then ripping him away at the end.

It seems to me the "bad" ending was more uplifting watching all of the characters happily enjoying their lives. You knew they had not really solved the problem, but it still left me with a better feeling then the so called "good" ending.

My multi-boxing World of Warcraft blog.

araydendj.blogspot.com
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: September 21, 2007, 07:57:24 PM »

Jylan -  I definitely see where you're coming from.

Quote from: "Shiguma"
But Akanbe...

FES addresses that little "disappointment" in Episode Aegis. :)

Persona FES Ending Spoilers

Code:
Does it?  I mean, sacrificing oneself by making a barrier to protect the earth from Nyx so he can't draw on negative emotions and never come back was a plus, but it still seems like a downer to me just because of the nature of how the game was.

End FES spoilers, but adding to my spoiler post about P3:

Code:
Also, at first it didn't truly hit me that he was dead.  When I was watching the ending I was like "Hey asshole why are you going to sleep now?  Go talk to your friends!".  Then as the credits began to scroll I began to think about how sealing away Nyx used your full life bar and how he was "very tired" even 3 months after the event.  I had a feeling he was dead/comatose/something.  I remembered Shiguma's FES review and that pretty much confirmed it =\

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: September 21, 2007, 11:40:20 PM »

Good point on the ending... anybody wanna make a sentance or two summary of FES though??  Seeing as how I'll likely never play it, I'd apprecaite it.. =/

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: September 22, 2007, 09:54:46 AM »

Quote from: "Dice"
Good point on the ending... anybody wanna make a sentance or two summary of FES though??  Seeing as how I'll likely never play it, I'd apprecaite it.. =/

Read my import review.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: September 23, 2007, 08:55:10 PM »

I'm still near the beginning. But I've wasted quite a few hours trying to find a Grave Beetle to complete the first Elizebeth Request. I've long since completed the first block of Tartarus, and I'm going every day (sick or not), going all the way up the block trying to find one of these things, and I've NEVER SEEN ONE! I've got one day left, 2 days before the full moon. I'm starting to think there's something wrong with my game. Oh well, not like it's the end of the world.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: September 24, 2007, 01:27:47 AM »

they're all on the second to last floor, I believe? they're not really rare at all.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Crown Clown

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: September 24, 2007, 05:08:00 AM »

They're always alone as well, so just attack the smallest shadow and ignore the bigger ones.

I will find you. Without fail.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 41 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: