Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 01:21:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334851 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  What new rpg should I get?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: What new rpg should I get?  (Read 2084 times)
Palxim

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: July 23, 2007, 11:42:07 PM »

Tell me the best rpg in the world and I will play it.  Tell me your personal fav.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 11:47:22 PM »

Double Dungeon.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 11:50:20 PM »

Odin Sphere.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 03:04:26 AM »

All three Xenosaga titles. They save the best for last.

AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 03:21:32 AM »

Don't really have a favourite RPG.

But I'll always happily recommend Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter though.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 03:30:39 AM »

I'm going to note since everyone else is taking this seriously that, no, my first post wasn't serious. Unless you want something to make whatever RPGs you pick up look better in comparison, stay the hell away.

About any Shin Megami Tensei game will do, at least on consoles. DemiKids you can just pass on in favor for Nocturne or Pokemon unless you want some middleground between the two for whatever reason. Also if you pursue Digital Devil Saga, make sure to play the first one, well, first unless you absolutely can not find or acquire it. Anyone who says to just skip it is just being stupid, honestly.

Also, if you haven't played it yet, Dragon Quest VIII is one of the best, possibly the best traditional turn based RPG in years. If put together, I'd say DDS is close. But as individual games, I'd put DQVIII over them.
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 05:35:36 AM »

My personal favorite RPGs (which I consider "the best in the world") are not "new," unfortunately.  They would be Xenogears, Lunar: Silver Star Story, and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue.  The Ys Series is also excellent, but since The Oath in Felghana and Origin aren't available in English, it's probably a moot point.  You could try Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim on PS2, though.  It's probably cheap in the states now, I imagine.

I also recommend Persona 3, which comes out in a week-ish.  Valkyrie Profile and Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria are also great games.  Can't go wrong with any of the above.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 06:14:27 AM »

Taro's quest.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 08:49:51 AM »

Go buy Suikoden I, II and III and play them all in a row.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 09:59:43 AM »

Quote from: "Lard"
Go buy Suikoden I, II and V and play them all in a row.  Try to forget III and IV exist in this world.

Fixed. ;)

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 11:05:56 AM »

I like all the Suikoden games so I'll refrain from suggesting any of them, as I'm biased as a mother.

Final Fantasy Tactics is a great game, and an updated version (albeit with some technical problems) will be coming to PSP soon. Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter is an awesome game, and if anyone tells you otherwise, they just suck at it and refuse to acknowledge its greatness. That goes double is someone named Darkrider says it.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 11:23:03 AM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
I like all the Suikoden games so I'll refrain from suggesting any of them, as I'm biased as a mother.

Final Fantasy Tactics is a great game, and an updated version (albeit with some technical problems) will be coming to PSP soon. Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter is an awesome game, and if anyone tells you otherwise, they just suck at it and refuse to acknowledge its greatness. That goes double is someone named Darkrider says it.

Actually, my opinion on that game has changed.  After the last time the game was brought up, I decided I'd give it one more try just to shut you complainers up, but I ended up liking it. :P

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 11:51:26 AM »

Quote from: "Shiguma"
 Go buy Suikoden I, II and III and play them all in a row.  Anyone else who tells you otherwise is a hunchbacked, leprous, stinky rubbish bag of poo.  

Fixed. ;)

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 01:07:43 PM »

Play Persona 2.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 01:15:01 PM »

Hmm...since they are on the box of X, KOTOR 1 and 2.  Great games both if your a fan of star wars or good stories :P, and both in my top 10.

For PS2/PS hmm...Suiko series is good, I even enjoyed IV though it was the least enjoyable of them all...well it and tactics.  DDS is amazing, but like they said, make sure to play both 1 and 2.

Tales of the Abyss was also amazingly good in my opinion, was really fun.

GBA- Super Robot Taisen series.  Again, is better to play 1 then 2 since they do coincide with characters and story and whatnot.  Im a big robot fan so I loved them.

Beyond that im sure I could mention more im just not thinking very well atm, so haha.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: