Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 04:45:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327632 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  the minish cap
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: the minish cap  (Read 4944 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 24, 2007, 06:31:54 AM »

this is the best zelda game ive played since majoras mask though in twighlight princess i was in the water temple when my gamecube died. still i think this game is fantasic. the second i got the vase that sucks in and blows air i was hooked. they should let capcom do more zelda games =o

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 06:35:24 AM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
when my gamecube died.

They die? Really?

Eh. Minish Cap was enjoyable, but I guess it didn't feel like enough after years of no 2D Zelda on SNES or equivalent hardware. Not to mention it's brutally short. Capcom absorbed the staff that worked on those games back into themselves, but I don't doubt they'd develop more if Nintendo wanted it done.

They developed Kirby & The Amazing Mirror too. It's a Kirby game with a Metroid-ish giant world, sorta.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 02:52:21 PM »

Minish cap was good, I really liked the broken amulet sidequests but I don't think its fair to compare it to the bigger Zelda games. Minish was really short, at least it had some fanservice to show how the "Green Hero" legend got started.

Wait till you play the new DS Zelda, it will blow you away. Nintendo is still the best at making their own products of course.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 04:17:43 PM »

I liked Minish Cap quite a bit, but it's really just a graphically improved version of the Oracle GBA games.  I had a distinct feeling of deja vu the whole time I played it.

Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 07:43:44 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
They die? Really?

Yes, unfortunately, and surprisingly... mine bit the big one, and I actually sent it in for repairs. Meh.

Minish Cap was fun, but I felt it was an extension of Wind Waker, graphically, and the overall vibe. Also... yeah, the Oracle games as well.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 12:27:43 AM »

i never played the oracle games but one of the things i really like about minish cap as opposed to the console zeldas is that for the most part the weapons you get feel new instead of rehashes of old standby's. the point i was at in twilight princess it just felt like OoT with new stages. also i think length can be relative when comparing a 2d game to a 3d game.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 12:33:52 AM »

i never played the oracle games but one of the things i really like about minish cap as opposed to the console zeldas is that for the most part the weapons you get feel new instead of rehashes of old standby's. the point i was at in twilight princess it just felt like OoT with new stages. also i think length can be relative when comparing a 2d game to a 3d game.

Well TP was made that way on purpose, it was really fanservice to the OoT fanbase. Remember how badly Wind Waker sold? They probably wanted to change that.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 12:40:59 AM »

Are you saying the SPINNING TOP Is not in fact a new weapon?

... Ok, I guess stupid things don't count.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 03:13:47 PM »

they should let capcom do more zelda games =o

I think they should let capcom do all Zelda games. The Oracle games' puzzles were much better than anything Nintendo themselves ever came up with. And plus those games (well, Ages) were actually hard. Unlike Nintendo's recent Zelda games...

Edit: If capcom ever do make another Zelda game, I hope it's a lot longer than Minish Cap - 4 dungeons isn't really enough. At least in Majora's Mask, the lead-up to the dungeons made the game a decent length.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 04:22:12 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
Are you saying the SPINNING TOP Is not in fact a new weapon?

... Ok, I guess stupid things don't count.

You know, I just can't shake the feeling that thing was the last item the designers developed, and only because they couldn't think of anything else. :P  Christ, I can't even remember using it outside of the dungeon you found it in.

Chimpbot

ChimpbotD piccolo141@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 06:04:51 PM »

Quote from: "Thoren"

Well TP was made that way on purpose, it was really fanservice to the OoT fanbase. Remember how badly Wind Waker sold? They probably wanted to change that.

Exactly. It would have been more aptly titled, "Ocarina of Time 2: The Search for More Money"

It was a fun game, sure...but boy, did they ever make it obvious that they were trying to ape one of their own games. It's one of the reasons why I just didn't bother finishing it; the entire time I was playing TP, it felt like I had already done that crap once before, to a certain degree.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 12:42:52 AM »

Wow, all the TP hate. I personally thought it was, bar none, the greatest game I've ever played, knocking FF8 down to #2. Regardless of whether some of the ideas were reused, the FEEL was fresher than it's ever been. The game had character, it had drama... no other Zelda game has gotten to me the way TP did.

Minish Cap, however, was also excellent. I haven't played the Oracle games, but it did feel like a shorter, more polished version of Link to the Past, which is not a bad thing. But unlike Link to the Past, which relied on a lot of random puzzles... I felt like Minish Cap had a lot more interesting and thoughtful puzzles. The sky dungeon remains one of my favorite dungeons of any game, anywhere (up there with the wind dungeon from Golden Sun 2).

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 12:56:29 AM »

Quote from: "Thoren"
Remember how badly Wind Waker sold?

No, no I don't.  I recall it selling more than a million copies combined in its first week of release in Japan and the USA.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 04:22:53 AM »

I didn't /hate/ TP, I just thought it wasn't as good as some of the others - it's nowhere near as good as OOT was. I think it's something to do with it not being made by Shigeru Miyamoto, as I think most Nintendo games aren't as good now he's not making them. I got the impression that Wind Waker and Mario Sunshine were just scaled-down versions of the N64 games.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 07:41:30 PM »

Miyamoto still oversaw the project. He wasn't directly sitting in the directors chair, but it was still his original image, and he oversaw it, and had quite a bit of hand in it. Basically he played the part of the producer as apposed to director, in terms of films.

In any case, I think it was vastly superior to OoT... blasphemy, I know... but I just think it had heart, where OoT was lacking in that department. I love OoT... it was my second favorite to Majora's Mask before TP came out, I just think they litterally "out did" themselves this time around.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: