Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 05:48:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334454 Posts in 13702 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  the minish cap
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: the minish cap  (Read 4983 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2007, 12:01:09 AM »

as i understand it TP has better story at the expense of moving the gameplay forward. i did however like the segments where you play as the wolf.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2007, 12:10:02 AM »

As far as Zelda stories go, I think Wind Waker's probably the best one. But then that had some good plot twists and did something beyond "In plain ol' Hyrule or a land similar enough." TP's story felt kinda... Pointless in the end.
Code:
Ganondorf basically got no development beyond "GRRR DESTROY EVERYTHING" and Midna breaking the mirror as she returns to the Twilight world severed any possibility of using that or exploring it more in a future installment. At the least, it shouldn't have worried about Zelda or Ganon and simply focused on Midna and Zant. Hell, Ganon was more or less just there to satisfy the fanboy fantasies of fighting Ganon like in the old GC tech demo.

Beyond that though, I think TP was the most refined of the 3D titles. However, in some ways it was to a fault. I've argued that before, no sequence breaking and blah blah blah. I was hoping for more stuff too like finding caves to explore. I think there were only two mini-dungeon type of scenarios like that.
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2007, 02:22:06 AM »

I didn't like Minish Cap. I mean, the art style was refreshing and the gameplay was good and fun but the other crap like the story and some of the characters were annoying. I felt the same way playing the Oracle games...

It's kind of hard to describe exactly why I don't like them so I guess I'll just say that I like the darker and more "serious" Zelda games like ALTTP, OoT and Twilight Princess (which I still need to finish).
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2007, 03:29:42 AM »

Christ, if it's story and the characters that are ruining a Zelda for you, you're completely missing the point. Or talking about Navi.
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2007, 01:02:45 PM »

I'm not missing anything. I know why I play games and what I like to be in them. And I should point out that I don't play Zelda for a complex and engaging story but for what little story their is in Zelda games I know there are certain stories I like, and a fucking talking duck hat isn't included.

Zelda was cool in the past when it was just some kid with a sword traversing dungeons and other crap to fight some evil wizard or something like that. All this other nonsense they've been adding in many recent games has turned me off of Zelda games.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2007, 06:19:02 PM »

But... You just said the game was fun, yet you're letting a dumb hat ruin it for you... Meh, whatever. I guess everyone has their odd hangups that ruin enjoying a game, I didn't much like the abundance of silly anthromorphs like hippo people in FFIX since I was hyped up for the game because of a reported return to the style of classic FFs, and those certainly weren't in any old ones that I've seen (I suppose werewolves would get a pass thanks to V though), and as such I got crap about it. There's also the whole deal with SH:C bugging me for practically using only, uhh, 4 different songs for dungeons, one of which was done to death and the final one was simply the battle theme for the Japan portion of the game, but I had a lot of little problems with the game that just made me not love it like everyone else seemed to.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2007, 01:55:22 AM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
as i understand it TP has better story at the expense of moving the gameplay forward. i did however like the segments where you play as the wolf.

I would say it had a better presentation upgrade more than story. Although the story IS better than usual, although the character development is stale as ever.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2007, 02:10:29 AM »

Quote from: Thoren
Quote from: "Alisha"
I would say it had a better presentation upgrade more than story. Although the story IS better than usual, although the character development is stale as ever.

Character developement is practically non-existant (excepting, of course, for the whole thing with Colin, which I really thought was great), however, the character PORTRAYAL was excellent, much better than usual.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2007, 03:19:01 AM »

But... You just said the game was fun, yet you're letting a dumb hat ruin it for you... Meh, whatever.

I did say that. But doing one thing well doesn't make a great game necessarily. Especially when it's possible to do some things well and screw a lot of other things up. And it wasn't just the hat. That was just an example. I know I'm being vague here... I think that if I tried to describe it you'd just flame me for nitpicking. That's why in my earlier post I told you what games out of the Zelda series I preferred so that you could compare that to the games I said I disliked. That should hopefully give you some idea about my tastes and why I didn't like this game.

If I have to though I might expand on this arguement with some details later...
Lucid

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2007, 05:19:57 AM »

I liked Minish Cap, and personally I think Majora's Mask is the best in the series.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2007, 12:20:02 AM »

Quote from: "Bloodstar6078"
But doing one thing well doesn't make a great game necessarily.

In most cases, true. However, for a video game I'd say being FUN is the single thing that matters most. Ah well, we're probably not going to change each other's opinions so we may as well agree to disagree or whatever, but this IS a thread for the Minish Cap, so even if I don't reply or anything the point is to talk about the game, whether it's positive or negative.
Bloodstar6078

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2007, 03:12:50 AM »

I play games for the story. If I don't like the story or the characters or the world the game designer has built for me their is no point in me playing the game. I just don't care about it.

All I said about Minish Cap was that the game play was solid. The controls worked, the game was simple to play, and I could roll around and stuff like in OoT. That's something you couldn't do in previous non-3D installments of the franchise.

Really, I don't see why this is so hard to understand.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2007, 04:12:28 AM »

I was actually hoping for more of an explanation since I figured we weren't going to agree regardless, but it is the Minish Cap topic so it'd be worth it for people to explain why they dis/liked it, especially since you suggested you were going to elaborate. Eh, whatever. The point of playing games is to be entertained anyway, regardless of what we derive our entertainment from.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: