Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 05:04:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327632 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Best RPGs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Best RPGs?  (Read 5913 times)
Kratos

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 24, 2007, 11:42:33 AM »

Hi, I'm new to RPGs.

The first RPG I played was Tales of Destiny 2 (Playstation).

I went to Gamestop and asked the guy at the counter what the best RPGs were and he recommended Tales of Symphonia (Gamecube) and Dragon Quest VIII (Playstation 2), so I bought them, and I'm already pretty far.

So what's next?

In your opinion,
what are the best RPGs for Gamecube,
and the best RPGs for Playstation 2?

Thanks.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 11:47:47 AM »

Don't we already have a topic like this?

I'd say check http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=2623 for recommendations.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 12:30:10 PM »

I think this is a little different since the topic creator is new to RPGs.

I can easily reccomend the Shadow Hearts series and the Final Fantasy entries on the PS2 (particularly FFX).

Wild Arms 4 might also be worth a shot.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 02:37:14 PM »

Best rpgs on gamecube? Definitely Skies of Arcadia. Of the mere 5 rpgs on gamecube, this is the only one that's easily accessible to those new to rpgs at the same time as not being flawed in some way. And plus it is a lot better than most of the others.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2007, 02:50:26 PM »

Geez dont throw him into a grindfest so easily.

If you're totally new to RPGs, try the Paper Mario series, they're very lighthearted and fun. FFX isn't a bad choice either
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2007, 03:31:30 PM »

Actually, screw repeating that joke.

I recommend Tales of Symphonia. Tales of the Abyss is well liked too, but you liked Tales of Eternia (the name Namco apparently couldn't use for legal reasons. It was called that in Europe on the PSP.) Paper Mario's a good suggestion, and you should probably check out at least SuikV. It's one of the more liked installments and fairly easy.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2007, 04:33:46 PM »

PS2 - Shadow Hearts: Covenant, FFX, Dark Cloud 2, ...just to name a few.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 05:54:41 PM »

odin sphere is the best rpg ever made and so aer the n1 games because they're 2D and true to rpgs' roots. all the 3d games put graphics over gameplay and story so much. it's sick.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 06:51:01 PM »

All asshattery aside, before delving into RPGs ask yourself the following questions so that the more informed can better guide you in your selection.

What is it you like about the few RPGs you've played?  

What do you hope to get out of RPGs?  In other words, are you in it more for the storylines that are often deeper than other genres?  Are you in it for the unique gameplay experience?  Are you in it for the whole package and the "mojo" that the RPG experience offers that other genres don't?  

How high do you rate the aspects of graphics, music, story, and gameplay in a potential gaming experience?  For example, for someone who wants pretty graphics and a killer story I might recommend Xenosaga or FF12 over Atelier Iris (which had a weak story and 2D graphics, but deep gameplay and amazing music.)  

What other genres of games do you enjoy?  Why do you enjoy them?  Do any aspects of that enjoyment transfer over to RPGs?  For example, if a person likes action platformers, I'd more likely recommend an action RPG over a turn-based or strategy RPG.  

Honestly, it's hard to recommend stuff without knowing what it is you want out of your gaming experience and what your current tastes in gaming are.  Tastes are subjective and vary widely.  Some RPGs that people fawn over, I didn't think were anything special.  Some RPGs that I fawn over, others think aren't anything special.  

We have a talented staff of review writers whose reviews are there specifically to help guide your gaming decisions.  However, I do understand that many people have a mistrust of critics.  Be assured, though, that RPGfan policy is that one must finish a game before reviewing it.  After all, some games may be slow to warm up but become awesome later on.  Xenogears comes to mind here because it was only after the first exhausting 10 hours that the story really opened up.  And other games start off strong, but peter out.  Odin Sphere comes to mind here because though it's fun for the first 15 or so hours, it gets really repetitive and difficulty balance issues become a pain.  

And RPGs themselves vary widely despite being under that same umbrella.  It's like with metal music.  Dream Theater sounds very different from Pantera, yet they're both metal.  

In other words, recommending RPGs is as easy as recommending music or anime.  It's not.  It's wholly dependent on the querant's tastes.

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 07:17:51 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"
In other words, are you in it more for the storylines that are often deeper than other genres?

... I kinda take issue with that statement. I may not necessarily agree with some other stuff, but I honestly consider this one inaccurate nowadays, other games and genres are on the same level as far as RPGs go with story anymore if you ask me. Games like MGS, Killer7, Halo, Breakdown, God of War, and even Megaman have all been making fairly good attempts at story and developing a universe, and many more have (for better or worse) have been trying to throw in a lot of cinematics and act like they're a movie. You could ofcourse debate whether any of those are good or not, I personally was kinda baffled by the GoW praise in that regard, but that's the same for any other genre or medium, and I still need to play the second anyway.

Edit: Those examples were just off the top of my head too. There's others I can also think of, and we've got the attempts that wound up in failure like Advent Rising.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 07:43:22 PM »

Get a Genesis and Shining Force II.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 07:45:59 PM »

Quote from: "Losfer"
Get a Genesis and Shining Force II.

Or a Wii and wait awhile... Hopefully. I don't think Shining Force II is on GameTap yet, and usually all their VC releases are from the Genesis Collection or GameTap.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 07:59:47 PM »

Point well taken Eusis.  I myself agree that there are genres of video game that have much stronger stories than RPGs and examples within other genres that have strong stories too.  

But RPGs do have stronger and deeper storylines than your average sports, puzzle or fighting game (yes, I know Puzzle Quest and Soul Calibur can be excepted) to name a few.    

RPG is still the common knee-jerk thought when the words "story based video game" come up since, well, visual novels aren't played much and I think those have some of the best stories I've ever seen in video games.

Or maybe it's an issue with semantics.  I still stand by my statement that RPGs OFTEN have deeper storylines than games in other genres.  But I agree with you that it's not ALWAYS.  I point to your examples there, except for Mega Man because Mega Man has a whole bunch of RPGs (i.e. the MegaMan Battle Network games, MegaMan X: Command Mission.)

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 08:21:03 PM »

Command Mission was probably one of the weaker games in the Megaman series as far as that goes. I'm thinking X/Zero/potentially ZX/Legends. While Legends manages to qualify for coverage here, the rest don't, not to mention the history developed for the world. I can't really argue about Battle Network however, but that's kinda a reboot on the universe.

Actually seems to me Soul Calibur's on par with other fighting games, but then King of Fighter had near-annual releases for quite awhile and I always had a dumb fascination with reading character backgrounds in old magazines. Puzzle games (normally) and Sports don't really lend themselves to story well anyway, but about every other genre can work.

As for RPGs being consider the 'story based genre'... I think that's because of games like FFVII being insanely popular for it's story and characters, and that, really most go for quantity over quality. Something like Rogue Galaxy has a bunch of cutscenes and characters that can, if you have it enabled, constantly run their mouthes off while you explore. However, SMT:N has very few cutscenes and I consider it one of the most interesting in regards to story in years, although it's not often we see a unique and fascinating world that is developed like that is.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 08:23:59 PM »

Either way, the state of RPGs is what it is, especially with regards to being viewed as the "storytelling" genre among the masses.  And the art of storytelling in and of itself takes on many forms.  

And I definitely think Soul Blade and Soul Calibur's story modes were more involved than any other fighting game's story modes.

And how do we know that someone first getting into RPGs isn't doing so because s/he is looking for something with more depth in the narrative than s/he's been getting with his/her gaming diet in the past?  

Of course, yes, I am also very aware that many RPGs have almost nil storyline; dungeon crawlers come to mind and games like Pokemon aren't story-intensive either.  

I do not disagree with any of the points you've made (I mostly agree) but I still stand by the semantics of my prior query.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: