Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 09:23:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327460 Posts in 13408 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Ico...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Ico...  (Read 4867 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: July 26, 2007, 01:09:43 AM »

This game is brilliant... just BRILLIANT. I had heard its name floated around, but I've never met anyone (in person) whose actually played it. It started off slow, but I'm guessing I'm about mid-way through (5 hours?) and it's shaping up to be one of the greatest adventure games I've ever played. I just wish it was on something besides the PS2... the lack of anti-aliasing really doesn't do the detailed graphics justice.

It ALMOST makes me want to go play Shadow of the Collosus... but I'm a little skeptical of that game, since from the bits that I've played, it just seems to be a series of boss battles. But I might have to try it again, anyway.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2007, 01:13:07 AM »

... There's only one reason I see for it going in this forum: Stephen's old review. Regardless, the game was nice, but I liked SotC way more.

Oh, and you wanna know what is probably to blame for a lot of the jaggies? The game isn't running in 480i. It's running in 240p. 480i=high res PS1 and virtually all PS2 games. 240p=standard PS1 resolution, used for very few PS2 games.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2007, 01:19:51 AM »

shadow of the colossus is a masterpiece. seriously it is an example of gaming art in my opinion. because of this game i want to try Ico but have been unable to find a copy.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2007, 03:52:48 AM »

Personally, I prefer Ico.

I liked SOTC, but Prime Mover is right.

Find the boss, battle it.

It was a good game - but Ico's emphasis was primarily on exploration.

It really felt like I was playing one of the old Infocom text games, like Zork.

Ico is probably my favourite non-Suikoden game for PS2.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2007, 04:11:53 AM »

I prefer SOTC. I thought there wasn't really a lot to do in Ico, as it pretty much consisted of you opening those big doors you found a few hours into the game. Everything else was just a way of getting to where you did that.

And you got a lot of exploring done in SOTC while finding the bosses - I invariably got lost because the world was so big. The bosses were also probably the best I've seen in an adventure game in a long time. And plus each one was completely different.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2007, 04:15:17 AM »

I felt there were some similar ones, in style even though the method of defeating each was more or less different as I recall.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2007, 04:25:42 AM »

I know a lot of them looked more or less the same, but I guess it would be pretty hard to think of 16 different massive things.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 07:24:00 AM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"
I know a lot of them looked more or less the same, but I guess it would be pretty hard to think of 16 different massive things.
That's my point, though. The concept is flawed, IMO. It might be an artful, masterful execution of a flawed concept, but a flawed concept none-the-less. If the basic concept ulitimately requires the audience to forgive the creator on lack of being able to deliver unique design... then the concept itself has a problem.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 07:32:30 AM »

I liked Shadow of the Colossus more because the story (while extremely minimalist/subtle) delivers a massive kick to the balls at the end, one which most people probably didn't expect.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 09:28:12 AM »

I just liked the atmosphere in Ico better.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2007, 10:33:41 AM »

I thought the Colossi looked relatively unique enough.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2007, 01:22:24 PM »

I just finished Ico last night...

Holy shit. That was amazing. The game just kept getting better and better. And... that ending! Talk about dramatic perfection! I was so incredibly inspired that I sat down and played one of the greatest piano improvisations that I've done in a long time (about 20 minutes of minimalistic content, ala John Adams or Philip Glass). Unfortunately, I forgot to hit record before I began. But I went back and tried again while recording and got some of the material down. I'll take it and moulde it into a piece one of these days.

But yeah, if SOTC ending is better than Icos, I'll HAVE to play that game. I don't think I've played a game that had a more precisely constructed ending. The music was incredible, and the final 3 seconds are the most wonderful in the entire game. That feeling is going to be with me for weeks, I can tell.

Anyone know where I can find a copy of that ending piece? There was some incredible composition there, some interesting polymetric stuff. I'd love to get my hands on that.

FIN

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2007, 03:51:17 PM »

i think the reason some of the bosses look similar is because they all look almost aztec in design. even though some may look similar though they are all completely unique in how they attack you. zelda bosses are incredibly tame in comparison.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2007, 03:55:47 PM »

GRRR GIANT MACE SMASH. Yeah, totally different! However, you're right about Zelda anyway. The boss fights in TP are AWESOME, but they're more or less all pretty easy. The only one I had difficulty with was one of the final bosses, and I was just being dumb there.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2007, 04:01:02 PM »

Quote from: "Shiguma"
I liked Shadow of the Colossus more because the story (while extremely minimalist/subtle) delivers a massive kick to the balls at the end, one which most people probably didn't expect.

I disagree with you there; I thought SotC's ending was really predictable. Not every aspect of it, but the BIG THING that happens didn't surprise me at all. That's probably one of the reasons I was so disappointed in the game. Every review I read for it said the ending was phenomenal, so I slugged through some of the most tedious gameplay in recent memory to get to an end that just did not justify the twenty hours of boring I'd just put myself through.

I seriously sat there, all through the credits, thinking ".... That was it?"

The boss fights were great, though. So I guess you could call the game great because that's the entire thing. But after the first four or five, when you've already explored basically the entire map, it becomes an exercise in patience more than anything else. To me, anyway.

I've never played ICO. I want to. Everyone I know who's played both games rates ICO higher, but I think I'm possibly the only person in the world who really wasn't too impressed with SotC.

[/url]
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: