Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 09:27:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327725 Posts in 13418 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Alien Syndrome PSP
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Alien Syndrome PSP  (Read 1634 times)
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 27, 2007, 08:06:41 PM »

Not sure if the die-hards around here will consider this an RPG or not. It's pretty decent though. The level up system is mostly what you would expect. Experience based with attribute and skill points to distribute every time you level. The skills and equipment systems are pretty reminscent of all those PS2 hack and slash games (Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance etc.). There's a class system (sort've) but it mostly just determines what attribute is your strongest and what type of weapon is your favorite.

All the blatantly unoriginal parts aside, it's solid and it's a god damn sequel to Alien Syndrome which is great. And there is just enough statistic tweaking for me to really get into it.

Sucks that you have to play a girl though. Anyone else picking this up?
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2007, 08:18:56 PM »

Sega's parading it around as an RPG, so may as well if you ask me. It's for the Wii too so I'd just make it a general topic, but that's just. IGN gave it a pretty low score, but if it's just a hack & slash-ish game albit with, uhh, shooting and blasting instead, then I'm not really interested.

... Sucks you have to play as a girl? Huh?
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2007, 10:20:07 PM »

Quote from: "Willy Elektrix"
Sucks that you have to play a girl though.

Yeah, it sure ruined Metroid Prime, too. Man, that game rocked, but playing as a female really makes me feel like I no longer have a penis.

WTF?!

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2007, 10:55:10 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
Quote from: "Willy Elektrix"
Sucks that you have to play a girl though.

Yeah, it sure ruined Metroid Prime, too. Man, that game rocked, but playing as a female really makes me feel like I no longer have a penis.

WTF?!

What can I say? I'd rather be a dude.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2007, 01:44:24 AM »

Alien Syndrome is a terrible, terrible game.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2007, 01:49:21 AM »

Edited my original post to clean it up a bit. While I fully understand making a guy over a girl in a game, or if there's a type you want but you're restricted to a few choices like in Gauntlet, Diablo, or PSO, it just seems weird to complain about it in cases like this or, say, WA3 and PS1. I like variety in my protagonists, not simply going for teenaged boys or bald space marines all the time. This also goes for older male leads in JRPGs, mind.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2007, 10:56:18 PM »

I finally beat this game. God damn, it's really long (at least for this type of game). I'd say easily somewhere around 20 to 30 hours. It's alright. The areas, enemies, and variety of items get a lot more exciting toward the end of the game, and the plot (I use that word extremely lightly) picks up a bit. You get to play more outdoor areas and menacing biological alien environments, and believe it or not, there are a few moments of genuine atmosphere. Plus, it gets pretty hard in a few places and it's structured in such a way that it is extremely had to overlevel.

All in all, this game would have been a much tighter, more solid package if they had cut out about half of the redundant space station levels and added a few more enemy types. Regardless, it kept me entertained throughout. Purely for grind-enthusiasts though.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: