Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 10:32:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330126 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Game Journal #666
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 Print
Author Topic: Game Journal #666  (Read 55977 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #435 on: September 29, 2007, 01:44:31 PM »

I finished Persona 3, well sort of.  I got the bad ending. Oh, and I maxed out the Yuko S-link.  Booyaka!  I didn't overwrite my save, so I'll go back to it for the good/true ending.  

I started a New Game Plus, but was disappointed that
Code:
regardless of what sport you pick, it's always Kazushi and Yuko.  I was hoping that different sports had different characters, arcana and S-links.

If Atlus makes a Persona 4, I hope that they add more depth to the school-sim parts, create a more user friendly menu interface (equipping characters is more cumbersome than it needs to be), make a variety of fixed dungeons instead of a single  mammoth Rogue-like randomized tower, and allow me full control of all my party members in true turn-based RPG fashion.  The computer AI in Persona 3 was fairly competent and I learned to memorize their action patterns to best go through battles, but battles would have been smoother if I had complete control.  

Darkrider- may I assume that it was Mitsuru's AI that failed you in that final battle?  I think Mitsuru's AI isn't very good.  She wastes her SP using mind charge and tentarafoo (which NEVER works) when she could be attacking or party-healing.

In other games, I've been playing Elite Beat Agents a lot too.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #436 on: September 29, 2007, 02:38:48 PM »

I've beaten Halo 3 on Normal by myself, and I started playing Co-Op Heroic with a friend of mine, collecting skulls and doing other random shit. I just got off of a pretty bad multi-player streak, so I'm taking a break until tomorrow.

And that fucking needler achievement is impossible in MP.
Kstar
Editor Emeritus

I Remember Everything

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #437 on: September 29, 2007, 03:26:41 PM »

Been playing a lot of P3 lately, I'm toward the end of October.   I maxed out my social link with Yuko, yay!  Has anyone else had a difficult time with the student council treasurer?  My friendship with her is always getting reversed for no good reason.  I repair it, hang out with her and gain a level and then a day later it's back to reversed.  I think she gets jealous if I hang out with other girls, but my god it's getting annoying and I'm tired of taking the time out to repair it over and over only to have the same thing happen again.  I guess, I should just try to finish the social link off and be done with it, so I don't have to deal with her anymore.  

I've been sick, so I haven't been able to spend that much time with Suikoden V :(.  I'm at the Deep Twilight Forest and I had to break from the game because being sick and dealing with all the stupid twists and turns and the high amount of random encounters in that forest---didn't mix well at all.  I keep getting lost and confused at where the hell I'm going lol.  So, it's probably best I play then when I'm feeling better and more able to concentrate.  I'm still on the right path for all 108 Stars of Destiny.  I'm getting down to the last 15 or so characters to recruit.  That's exciting!  Let's hope everything works out and I get them all.

So, I've got two games I've put 50+ hours into and I'm ready for them to be done at this point. I'm ready to move on to the next games in my stack.

"We're all lying in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars" -Oscar Wilde

"To be a star, you must shine your own light, follow your own path, and don't worry about the darkness, for that is when the stars shine brightest."
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #438 on: September 29, 2007, 04:38:18 PM »

Quote from: "Dincrest"

Darkrider- may I assume that it was Mitsuru's AI that failed you in that final battle?  I think Mitsuru's AI isn't very good.  She wastes her SP using mind charge and tentarafoo (which NEVER works) when she could be attacking or party-healing.

No, it was Yukari.  I don't trust Mitsuru on anything other than Full Assault. :P

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #439 on: September 29, 2007, 06:02:09 PM »

Quote from: "Kstar17"
Has anyone else had a difficult time with the student council treasurer?  My friendship with her is always getting reversed for no good reason.  

I'm reversed with her too, but I pretty much gave up on her long ago.  She's a total piece of work, more trouble than she's worth, and I pretty much ditched her in favor of Yuko who's more normal and actually sane.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #440 on: September 29, 2007, 06:17:24 PM »

Quote from: "Kstar17"
Has anyone else had a difficult time with the student council treasurer?  My friendship with her is always getting reversed for no good reason.  I repair it, hang out with her and gain a level and then a day later it's back to reversed.  

Never had that problem with her personally, though I had only two people reverse on me by the end - namely her and the

Code:
horribly godawful portrayal of the typical foreign Japanophile.  Seriously...I know there are some people like that out there (and they can DIAF btw :P), but it's so over the top.

- I didn't bother with her too much though.  Like Dincrest I didn't like her personality, but also since her selection of personas is pretty much my absolute least favorite in the game.  

Anyway, more Growlanser 5, level 46 now.  At this point I'm convinced the developers had absolutely no idea what the heck they were doing when they plotted the game because it's going every which way but loose with absolutely no sense about much of anything.  Worse than that, the nonsensical plot twists are completely predictable.  I think this is why Suikoden 3 only went with a handful of PoVs because anyone and everyone in this game has some bizarre motivation vaguely moving them along.

At this point I'm sticking it out only to see when I'm going to finally get around to picking up a certain character, since it's inevitable.  :p

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #441 on: September 29, 2007, 06:20:31 PM »

Dincrest - About your new game+ experience, I too was dissapointed when I first saw that too.  Though I guess it kind of makes sense since
Code:
it's possible to get every S-link in one play through.  I guess if there were multiple people to get, you wouldn't be able to do that.

As far as the student council S-link, yeah she's a pain.  Once you get her to level 6 or 7, she needs constant attention or she'll go reverse.  I wouldn't go for her until you can devote time to her when she's available and not another girl.  That's what I ended up doing, at least.

Lately I've been playing .hack//G.U Rebirth and I really want to like but one thing that annoys the fuck out of me is the arena battles.
Code:
It doesn't matter how well you do in the damn tournament, you always get those fucking cutscenes which shows Haseo out of breath/beaten whatever.  It's retarded.  There was that one battle where I was kicking their ass and all of a sudden, the cut-scene showed them using a full-morale gauge special.  That kind of pissed me off.  If they wanted to do something like that were you HAD to rely on skeith, why not make the battles like +5 of Haseo's level.  That'd help to ensure that the battle would be fairly difficult to win and would make more sense.  I hear the second game focuses a lot on the arena, and I hope it's not similar to this because that part really annoys me.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #442 on: September 29, 2007, 07:30:35 PM »

Hot damn, I almost forgot. I played Crysis at Digital Life yesterday! It was pretty cool, and the graphics were fucking amazing (even though it was chugging a bit, the system was "acting up"). The gameplay was very standard FPS-type stuff, almost like a more refined Far Cry. I found the nanosuit management to be a bit clunky, but then again it was bound to the middle mouse, a button which I don't particularly like to use. I've got high hopes for this one, but the graphical requirements seem to be even more astronomical than I thought they would be (this is from listening to the GFW Radio Crysis Special). All in all good stuff.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #443 on: September 29, 2007, 09:30:08 PM »

Just bought a 360 last night. Been playing Bioshock all day. Very sweet, though a little chaotic. Anyway, I'll get Eternal Sonata after a play and finish Phantom Hourglass, which is why I didn't purchase the title yesterday. Bioshock's much shorter, after all. A whole new world of gaming before me, I'm psyched!

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #444 on: September 29, 2007, 10:12:31 PM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
Bioshock's much shorter, after all.

I... Honestly am not sure about that. Eternal Sonata sounds like it's 20-30 hours, and I'd put Bioshock at 10-20. You'll probably spend more time on Eternal Sonata, but not by as much as most RPGs.

I picked up Halo 3 today, my brother's supposed to half pay for it but he'll just cover it with Phantom Hourglass. I only played an online match, I'd like to get through Halo 1 first. Not just for story, I know what happens there and I beat Halo 2 anyway, but for the control scheme. They changed it up to make more sense for Halo 3 and the X360 controller, but I can't quite configure the controls for Halo 1/2 to mimic that, and I'd rather not change Halo 3's to mimic 1/2 if it's even possible.
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #445 on: September 30, 2007, 04:25:06 AM »

I played a whole bunch of Wild Arms 5 today, somewhere around ten hours or so. I had to make up for the week long draught. :P

Code:
Today I finished up the Starlit Path, made my way to Honeysday, and raided the Gob's Hideout. It doesn't seem like a lot, but most of the ten hours came from worldmap exploration; that sucker takes for freakin' ever to navigate! Anyway, I quit watching Chuck get his ass kicked by Fereydoon in front of the train station.

And holy hell, I finally have a Monowheel! No worldmap encounters rules.
beans
Cool Hand

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #446 on: September 30, 2007, 04:56:03 AM »

Beat Halo 3 yesterday, starting it on Legendary now.  

Going to start Bioshock next, and I really want to give Oblivion a shot, I keep starting it, but never really happy with how I start and end up shelving it for a while.

Still trying to shoot the damn dog in Duck Hunt.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #447 on: September 30, 2007, 08:50:31 AM »

Wow, so much Chihiro hate. :(

The only S-Link that has reversed for me was Kenji's.I kinda wish that the game didn't practically force him on you in the beginning, because he's one of the least interesting characters in the game as far as I'm concerned.

Also, the ending of that Girl at the Shrine S-Link made me feel kinda icky.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #448 on: September 30, 2007, 11:06:59 AM »

Quote from: "Ryos"

Code:
horribly godawful portrayal of the typical foreign Japanophile.  Seriously...I know there are some people like that out there (and they can DIAF btw :P), but it's so over the top.

That dude is so fucking annoying, clingy, and phenomenally stupid.  The only reason I bother with him is because there are some really good personas in his arcanum.  His storyline is the laughably worst as well.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #449 on: September 30, 2007, 12:34:39 PM »

Finally got a copy of Halo 3 on Friday but I've only been able to play for a few hours so far.  I messed around with the forge a bit and it seems interesting.  Hopefully i'll be able to put some serious time into it today.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: