Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 08:35:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334629 Posts in 13705 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Game Journal #666
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 31 Print
Author Topic: Game Journal #666  (Read 56157 times)
Sketch
Sam I Am

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: August 21, 2007, 03:51:01 AM »

More Persona 2 for me.

Code:
I just defeated Joker Ulala, who was definately the hardest boss battle thusfar. I'm not sure if that's because my Personas weren't up to snuff, or just because she's naturally hard, but either way, it took me a good twenty minutes. :P

I've been dicking around the city for the last hour or so, spreading rumours, buying new equips, etc. I also finished all of the available man-search thingies, so that earned me a nice 40,000 bucks.

Still haven't created any new Personas...
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: August 21, 2007, 12:41:08 PM »

Quote from: "Leyviur"
You sound like something from Digimon.

Or a fucking Hawkwind song.

Kids!!!

Tales of Symphonia:

Code:
Kratos has rejoined my party?

Lame, I hate that guy.  :(

All Summons got, gotta be damned close to the end and fighting the ultimate of all end bosses:

Code:
Sephiroth.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: August 21, 2007, 01:08:05 PM »

SoAL for me, and I'm in Maramba.

Code:
Damn Drachma....I hope that fucking whale kills his old ass....
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: August 21, 2007, 01:30:10 PM »

Super Metroid... still awesome.

However, my jaw dropped when I saw how little time I'd played when I stopped. I was sure that I'd played for like, 4 hours. I had just gotten to wrecked ship... halfway through the game, or maybe a little over halfway. When I turned the game off, it said "2:17", I was completely amazed. I haven't played it in at least 3 years, so there were a few points where I wasn't immediately sure where to go, so I didn't expect to have that kind of time. My last playthrough was about 6 hours, but at this rate, should be able to do it in under 5.

By far the greatest game on the VC (well, along with Link to the Past, but I'm gonna even give Super Metroid the advantage here). Crockmire still freaks me out, even after playing the game so many times.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: August 21, 2007, 02:33:49 PM »

I'm still making some solid progress through DDS2.  The power plant was a breeze, but only because I just happened to have two characters with electricity spells equipped when I came across the first of those three "walls with big fucking guns" encounters.  It was just dumb luck, because I had totally forgotten about it.

Right now I'm at the save point right before you fight that fucker back at the EGG facility.  I remember having a hell of a time with him the first time, so I don't feel so bad about having my ass handed to me. :P

Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: August 21, 2007, 04:35:18 PM »

Shadow of the Colossus.

Shadow of the Colossus fucks BALLS.

Arguably, the game has one of the most professionally-produced, professional-sounding orchestral video-game soundtracks to date, but you're better off just buying the soundtrack rather than buying the game itself so you can satisfy the curiosity of seeing how the music's used in-game.

For the most part, you don't even get to hear the music in-game. You might have cut scenes backed with music, and you have the Colossus fights backed with music, but before you can actually listen to said music, you must advance through the game. If you can find the fuckign Colossus in the first place!

I'd swear that the majority of this fuckign game is simply traveling over empty, lifeless fields, listening to nothing but the wind, the sound of your horse galloping, and using your Sword of the Gods to locate the colossal fuckers.

Then once you find those huge fuckign asses, you have to figure out how to take them down all by yourself. I've always said I wanted a game in which you could take more interactivity in killing your enemies, but if I knew that this was what I was going to get, I wouldn't have said anything.

Oh, gee, try doubling behind him, avoiding his fuckign huge ass club, stab him in the heel, wait for him to kneel down, and then proceed to climb up his body, stabbing every so often so that he contorts his body so you can climb it.

Holy. Shit. And this's just the first Colossal motherfucker we're talking about, here. Granted, I only sampled the game for an hour, and I haven't read the manual, but what kind of fuckign game MAKES you read the manual for anything other than advanced techniques? I have to read the manual just to learn basic skills needed to play the game?! Then again, I probably spent a good 45 minutes just trying to find the first Colossal motherfucker, that I was too tired in that last 15 minutes to defeat him, let alone figure out how to defeat him.

This game is black, smoldering pizza at the back of the microwave. This game is mold growing at the bottom of the shower. This game is a fuckign oil tanker flipped over and spilled all over the highway. This game is like an exploded alkaline battery. Why am I comparing it to so many things that are black in color? Because this game. Is a SIN. A BAD sin. Not even a good sin, not even the kind of sin that I actually entertain myself whilst committing it. It's just one big, black sin that poses no reward.

Greatest Hits? This game actually got branded with a Greatest Hits label? Mo' liek, GREATEST SHITS. That's not an original diss, you say? GOOD! This game is so bad, it's not even WORTH an original DISS. And that's because it's like a zit on the bottom side of one's crotch. Thank you, and good night.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 21, 2007, 04:42:55 PM »

Honestly, SotC takes a while to get into before it just clicks on how to find/kill them. I had trouble with the first few but a guy that was over at the time was consulting his laptop and throwing solutions out, so I wound up not really being challenged for the first 3. After that, I had trouble but except for the second to last one no where near as much in figuring out what to do. Very last one was a bit of a pain with the controls though and the fact it's easy to more or less lose 2/3rds of your progress in an instant.

This might also be the politest reply you get. Enjoy!
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: August 21, 2007, 05:12:21 PM »

What can I say? I was very disappointed when every last piece of gaming press hyped it up. From Penny-Arcade to MTV, they raised my hopes, only for all of them to be dashed once I sampled the product itself.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: August 21, 2007, 05:36:51 PM »

I'm with you, minus hating it so much. I didn't think it was nearly as good as it was hyped up to be, but it still wasn't really bad. It was actually pretty good. Just not phenomenal.

In other news, Bioshock is awesome and the story so far is great. I'm at
Code:
Neptune's Bounty, totally lost.

Big Daddies + hard mode = pain. Seriously.

[/url]
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 22, 2007, 09:51:48 AM »

Quote from: "Bernhardt"

Gotta ask - do you generally feel this strongly about everything you play?  SotC wasn't my cup of tea either, but it's pretty rare for me to hate a game as much as you hated this.  (I think the last one I hated that bad was Run Like Hell, an Xbox game whose only redeeming characteristic was that it came with the soundtrack, which was pretty good.  I got the game for free and I still felt ripped off.)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: August 22, 2007, 11:23:06 AM »

Zelda: TP - OK, so the boss of the Sky City WAS pretty bad ass. Took me numerous times falling down to figure out how to do it right. MUCH better than any of the other boss battles.
I'm not sure I want to head towards the end yet. Maybe I'll tackle the Cave of Ordeals, or get me some magic armor. Mess around with some mini games.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: August 22, 2007, 12:26:15 PM »

Shining Force.  Got to Alterone.  Whee.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: August 22, 2007, 01:34:46 PM »

Granted, I only sampled the game for an hour, and I haven't read the manual, but what kind of fuckign game MAKES you read the manual for anything other than advanced techniques? I have to read the manual just to learn basic skills needed to play the game?! Then again, I probably spent a good 45 minutes just trying to find the first Colossal motherfucker,

Well, personally, I think it was really refreshing not to have to go through some big in-game tutorial, explained by some NPC who breaks character to tell you gameplay bullshit. The point was that it was trying to keep you in-game the entire time... explaining gameplay requires breaking the 4th wall, and they didn't want to do that. And wait... actually, yes, yes they did tell you in-game; while you're doing the first colossus hunt, there's little dialog boxes at the bottom of the screen that basically tell you everything you need to know, not that I needed it, the controls were incredibly intuitive.

Be sure not to play Ico, then, because even the manual doesn't describe half the things you can do, and there's not any kind of in-game tutorial.

Honestly, I don't think you gave the game a chance. I actually played the first 3 colossus's about a year ago, and I gave the game a "meh" review. Turns out, traveling these "lifeless" fields, as you call them, is one of the most enjoyable parts of the game, but you gotta let it grow on you. But hey, maybe then again, it's not your kind of game. Ico was more my thing than SotC, too, but SotC was still damn good.

BTW: I"m fairly certain that the soundtrack is synth orchestra. It's damn good, and these days it's often really hard to too the difference, but as someone whose done quite of work with orchestral synths (just got EWQLSO Gold in the mail yesterday!) I can kinda tell. Maybe some of the instruments were real, but I don't think all were. The music is damn good though, my only regret is that I wish the music that played after you beat each colossus, synced up with you're character getting tentical raped, many times, the raping would come too late or too early, and the music would either have long since finished, or just have to fade out before the final chord, which irked me.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: August 22, 2007, 03:28:51 PM »

Finally got my grubby little hands on Persona 3 and loving it so far.  I'm very glad it's different from Persona because aside from an amusing translation glitch it's been so much better ~6 hours in.  

Not entirely sure if I'll go through it completely before moving on to mess around with my other games I received or bought for my birthday, but eh, we'll see.  I'm not expecting those to be as interesting anyway on a number of levels, and I can already tell that Persona 3 will be worth playing more than once for other choices.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: August 22, 2007, 04:31:45 PM »

Quote from: "Tooker"

Gotta ask - do you generally feel this strongly about everything you play?  SotC wasn't my cup of tea either, but it's pretty rare for me to hate a game as much as you hated this.

No, this's probably the first time I've actually blasted a game...this badly. I'd rather play Kingdom Hearts (and I am), I'd rather play Final Fantasy X-2 (but I'm not), I'd rather play Shadow the Hedgehog (and I have), I'd rather play...! Uhh, where were we?

Quote from: "Prime Mover"

Granted, I only sampled the game for an hour, and I haven't read the manual, but what kind of fuckign game MAKES you read the manual for anything other than advanced techniques? I have to read the manual just to learn basic skills needed to play the game?! Then again, I probably spent a good 45 minutes just trying to find the first Colossal motherfucker,

Well, personally, I think it was really refreshing not to have to go through some big in-game tutorial, explained by some NPC who breaks character to tell you gameplay bullshit. The point was that it was trying to keep you in-game the entire time... explaining gameplay requires breaking the 4th wall, and they didn't want to do that. And wait... actually, yes, yes they did tell you in-game; while you're doing the first colossus hunt, there's little dialog boxes at the bottom of the screen that basically tell you everything you need to know, not that I needed it, the controls were incredibly intuitive.

No one says tutorials have to be in the main playable game, but they could set off to the side as say, a different tutorial gameplay mode, like, say, in Star Fox 64 or Dirge of Cerberus, solely as examples, so you can learn by doing as opposed to just reading a manual and trying to figure out what it means. Why games bother to include manuals with them anymore is beyond me, when most games, like you said, include some sort of tutorial.

Be sure not to play Ico, then, because even the manual doesn't describe half the things you can do, and there's not any kind of in-game tutorial.

Oh, man. Don't get me started on Ico. I couldn't get Yorda past the chain rope after the first save point, and going off exploring on my own, she eventually always got abducted.

Honestly, I don't think you gave the game a chance. I actually played the first 3 colossus's about a year ago, and I gave the game a "meh" review. Turns out, traveling these "lifeless" fields, as you call them, is one of the most enjoyable parts of the game, but you gotta let it grow on you. But hey, maybe then again, it's not your kind of game. Ico was more my thing than SotC, too, but SotC was still damn good.

Probably not; I'm going to go back and read the manual, and put some more time into it, but my first impressions are that the game is black, smelly MOLD.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 31 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: