Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 11:46:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319079 Posts in 13032 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Game Journal #666
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31 Print
Author Topic: Game Journal #666  (Read 54775 times)
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #315 on: September 09, 2007, 12:08:21 AM »

Played Beyond Divinity a bit today.

Enjoying it so far, but the Dark Knight sounds like a pro wrestler.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #316 on: September 09, 2007, 12:44:57 AM »

Wow... after finishing Metroid Prime 3, I really have no new games. Maybe I'll pick up Persona 3 at some point. I know nothing about the game, or the series, but I've heard good things about them, so I might give it a try.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #317 on: September 09, 2007, 01:36:58 AM »

Quote from: "Prime Mover"
Wow... after finishing Metroid Prime 3, I really have no new games. Maybe I'll pick up Persona 3 at some point. I know nothing about the game, or the series, but I've heard good things about them, so I might give it a try.

Be prepared for a nice surprise....you wont play a game like this series ever again.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #318 on: September 09, 2007, 05:20:58 AM »

Quote from: "Dade"
Be prepared for a nice surprise....you wont play a game like this series ever again.

I just don't know if it's exactly my thing. I tend to not go for Gothic, "demons and devils" kind of stuff. Although, the synopsis that I've read makes it sound like Gothic Harry Potter on crack... which could be interesting.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #319 on: September 09, 2007, 10:01:07 AM »

More Persona 3.  Finals are over (did well) and it's summer vacation.  I took 2nd place in the kendo tournament and made friends with the rival kid.  
Code:
The Yakashima beach segment was hysterical.  I loved the part where the guys kept unsuccessfully hitting on beach babes, then started hitting on the WMD that the girls were told to subdue.  

And is it me, or did I detect a hint of jealousy in Yukari's voice when she found Aigis in Main's room?  I did agree with Yukari that even though Aigis is a guardian robot, to the outside world she's a teenage girl and as such should follow dorm regulations so as not to arouse suspicion.  In other words, Aigis can't stay in Main's room.  

Koromaru's at the vet and the elementary school kid Ken's trying to be grown up like everyone else.  I love how Junpei says the kid's more mature than he is.  

And I must admit, I'm more sympathetic to Mitsuru now, though she does tend to do things in a shady way.  But her dad was awesome.  Despite being scary looking, he was a totally cool guy.  
Code:
He was perfectly willing to give Mitsuru and everyone else the truth and was disappointed that she sneaks around to find stuff instead of coming out to ask him directly.  Heh, he's willing to be straightforward with her, but she's still shady.

EDIT:  
Code:
Koromaru's joined the party and the Strega have come out to play.
 Now this makes me wonder about Junpei.  
Code:
The Strega define who they are by the powers granted them during Dark Hour and for the Dark Hour and Tartarus to be destroyed would be to destroy their self-images and identities.  I get the feeling Junpei might have become a Strega had he not joined SEES, because he himself even says that Dark Hour and Tartarus actually make him feel useful, important, and not like an idiot slacker nobody.
 In terms of speculative foreshadowing,
Code:
I wonder if at one point Junpei will betray the party and perhaps sympathize and/or join the Strega so he can continue to feel a sense of worth, because who he is during the Dark Hour is more appealing to him than who he is during normal time.

I approve of this nonsense!
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #320 on: September 09, 2007, 01:32:10 PM »

Played more Beyond Divinity today. I'm starting to like the Death Knight despite his horrible VA.

Pretty good game. Interface could be quite a bit better, though.

I was checking out the calender in Persona 3 and noticed something interesting: The last full moon in the game happens to be on my birthday!
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #321 on: September 09, 2007, 04:08:19 PM »

I just don't know if it's exactly my thing. I tend to not go for Gothic, "demons and devils" kind of stuff. Although, the synopsis that I've read makes it sound like Gothic Harry Potter on crack... which could be interesting.
If that's Persona, what the hell is Nocturne? That's even more insane than P3...

Not all SMT is about the Goth, though. DDS manages to have demons and loads of bloody violence and not be Gothic.
Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #322 on: September 09, 2007, 05:29:48 PM »

Quote from: "ZE GRAND MASTER"

If that's Persona, what the hell is Nocturne? That's even more insane than P3...

Not all SMT is about the Goth, though. DDS manages to have demons and loads of bloody violence and not be Gothic.

I think he's talking about punk/rockstar gothic, or just "goth" as opposed to medieval gothic.

DDS/SMT is all pretty punk/rockstar gothic, given that definition.
Sketch
Sam I Am
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #323 on: September 09, 2007, 09:25:30 PM »

Persona 2:

Code:
I finally reached what I assume to be the final boss, Nyarlathotep, and died on his second form. My gosh, he's powerful. He can easily knock out a few of my characters in a single hit with his normal magic attacks, so it looks like it'll be a tough fight. I really need to find a Persona with Mediarahan, fast, or else I don't see how I'll be able to win.

Closing in on the 60 hour mark. I'm about ready for this game to end, it's been a good ride.
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #324 on: September 09, 2007, 10:39:21 PM »

I've been playing a whole lot of the Call of Duty 4 MP Beta recently, a bit of The Sims 2, a bit of the skate demo, and none of Persona 3. CoD4 is just such a great game and I'm psyched for the release. If you're looking for the next big shooter that isn't Halo, look at CoD4. The Sims 2, I got my build mode to work after setting up a different no-cd solution (I own the game, don't like switching CDs for those who are interested), and I fell in love with the game all over again. It's so great to finally have access to a good half of the game, and it's just so much fun. Skate demo. I haven't played Tony Hawk since the first underground but I got kinda tired of it. I've been playing the skate demo a lot and it's just so refreshing. I actually might buy the game when it comes out. And of course, no Persona 3.

I start school in 9 hours. Boy does that blow.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #325 on: September 10, 2007, 02:37:45 AM »

Haven't played much lately except for a bit of WoW yesterday.  I'm most likely picking up Skate and NHL 08 this week.  The Skate demo is great and I'm really getting anxious for the Hockey season to start so the game can fill the void.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #326 on: September 10, 2007, 02:55:29 AM »

Final Fantasy XI.

I gained 28 levels on my Great Axe (204 --> 232) in a 24 hour period.  That makes me feel like a rockstar.

*Raging Rushes something in the face*

Jylan

No place to run Coward!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #327 on: September 10, 2007, 01:27:42 PM »

I played a bit of Wild Arms 5, got and *thankfully* lost Cora. Of course, she will be back, and more torturous Voice cut scenes will follow.  Just wouldn't be a J-RPG without an over-apologetic annoyingly cute female type character that cannot speak a sentence without bowing in apology. I'm getting jaded i guess.

World of Warcraft- My Blood Elf paladin is almost 48 on Aerie Peak. My  70 Paladin on Icecrown finally peaked over 1k healing, so he is about ready for raiding.

My multi-boxing World of Warcraft blog.

araydendj.blogspot.com
Nutbar

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #328 on: September 10, 2007, 02:26:07 PM »

Quote from: "Shiguma"
Final Fantasy XI.

I gained 28 levels on my Great Axe (204 --> 232) in a 24 hour period.  That makes me feel like a rockstar.

*Raging Rushes something in the face*

I can't wait to Raging Rush, my Great axe skill is 192, and I now have SAM sub up enough to (hopefully) get some invites on my neglected 61 Warrior. I played  Great axe with thf sub 30-50 in a static with friends, but then we disbanded and over a period of 6 months I got 3 invites to party with my flag up as war/thf, which made me sad :(.

I wish I could say about playing more games, but XI is as much as I play right now, although I do see myself going on a retro game binge when I get back to uni.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #329 on: September 10, 2007, 04:15:51 PM »

If Persona 3 is anything like persona 2 I won't go near it. Way too much to think about. Plus, the whole demon chit chat didn't work for me. A game should be fun, not work. More power to those who actually find this stuff fun.

Finished up Zelda: TP - Technically, this game was pretty much perfect. All the pieces were in place, and I DID enjoy myself. BUT... I would not rank this higher than  Ocarina, LTTP, and possibly even Wind waker. It felt too familiar: Like I've done all this before. Plus, at the risk of sounding like a broken record(the irony!), I really miss having a real soundtrack in these games. Who decided "dynamic" music/sound was the way to go? Sure, it's kind of atmospheric, but its also boring. I'm playing a video game. Give me some cool tunes to listen to while playing, please.

Code:
I liked the epic look of Hyrule castlle. The dungeon itself could have used more substance. but it worked well as a last area. Ganon was mildly challenging, but mostly just because I'm an idiot. I don't know how long I chased him on the horse yelling at the princess to fire the goddamn arrows before realizing that you had to be holding the L target to get her to do it. I liked the last sword fight against him. Actually took some good use of the special attacks to get him.
Then it turns out that Midna was a total babe! Why couldn't that chick be following me around the whole game?
The ending was kind of melancholy. Like when she shattered the mirror, forever separating the two worlds.

If and when another Zelda gets made, I think there is going to have to be some serious changes. The system is a good one. Its just getting a tad old and tired.
Personally, I liked Okami more than Zelda: TP. It was fresh and fun, beautiful to look at, and had some great tunes to boot. My game of the year for last year. Too bad we'll never get a Okami 2.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 31 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: