Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 08:32:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341200 Posts in 13945 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently watched Episodes of TELEVISION BOX offerings!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] Print
Author Topic: Recently watched Episodes of TELEVISION BOX offerings!  (Read 131204 times)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1500 on: December 09, 2014, 03:54:59 AM »

Even if it was entertaining to watch (especially at some of the reactions to the side commentary), The Decree was a pale imitation of The Word (needed less rhetoric and more silliness).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1501 on: December 12, 2014, 10:39:09 AM »

Is anyone else actually watching American Horror Story: Freak Show? I would have given up on it a while ago, but it's the rare show I watch together with my wife.
It's just gone so far far off the rails. It's all about being "extreme" and showing daring, grisly, and perverted things, but with a very weak story at it's core. I can see how this might appeal to younger audiences, but it's just not working for me. I care nothing for any of the characters. Zilch. It's obvious they were' going for the "We are ALL freaks" in different ways motif, but you have to have someone to like on a show, if even only a little.

I need to get back and finish the last season of Breaking Bad. Then watch the 2nd season of House of Cards. Ya know, actual GOOD television shows.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1502 on: December 14, 2014, 10:39:37 AM »

Colbert's making his final lap count this week. I'm going to miss the hell out of this show after next week.

Agents of SHIELD: So
Code:
they got one black guy back only to lose another. -_-; Dammit, now where's the team going to get some sweet retro spy gear? Agent Carter? At least Sky can use the line "Hi! I'm Daisy." (this being a Whedon joint, it'll probably end up on a nametag) for self introductions now, not sure what the hell else she got from her trip to that chamber (perhaps the inability to watch the HAL sequence in 2001: A Space Odyssey without getting Nam style flashbacks of Trip and his unfortunate end).

The Librarians: Suck. The guy from the TV movies is the only one on that show that's worth half a drat, the rest of the cast were probably refugees from The Crazy Ones (or at least on par with those guys). Even with a budget, a second guy with Maya on his computer and 2+ years worth of acting training/experience on each member of the cast, the show probably couldn't make decent, let alone good. May it die faster than Selfie.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1503 on: December 14, 2014, 08:33:19 PM »

They put season 11 of Top Chef on Hulu so I've been watching that. Pretty likeable cast and not a lot of bickering. Well, not a whole lot anyway
glassjawsh
insolent cur

corn is no place for a mighty warrior

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1504 on: December 14, 2014, 11:51:54 PM »

Adventures of Brisco County Jr.

It stars Bruce Campbell and I just watched a ninja (who killed Bruce's mother) run down the middle of the street in 1890s San Fransisco while pushing the emperor of China's baby in a carriage.

Superb.

Edit: the baby has a dragon tattoo on its ankle!

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1505 on: December 19, 2014, 11:21:42 PM »

Legend of Korra

DONE. Goodbye Korra, continue your adventure into the spirit realm and all that whatnot and have a good vacay.  
Curious what Dante and Brian will both work on after this....Now, I'm just super saiyan, Present/Future Avatar would be awesome. But maybe after some times passes.

Just to say what's all on our minds:
Code:
Holy shit, is Korrasami ....like... real?????  Do we have a Nick show with a [b][i]very[/i][/b] platonically ambiguous (but not) relationship between two female characters?????  HAH!!!  Holy crap!  I definitely wasn't sold with JUST hand holding, but that stare into each others eyes was seriously romantic.  

Honestly, I kinda wish the show didn't even waste time with Mako as a love interest to begin with (hell, i liked Korra's half-date with Bolin more than the entire "saga" with Mako), and focused more on Korra and Asami building a relationship (in whatever way).  This would have been much more interesting IMO than wasting time with her silly crush on the 'handsome dude' because he was handsome.  Despite me liking the 'progressive twist', it still felt a bit forced... Katara and Zuko had an episode just to bond, Korra and Asami didn't, they just kinda started getting along super well all of a sudden. But I think that's a gripe I kinda have with the Avatar series in general too.

I can say that there was no real surprises and the journey was more interesting than the ending.  The bit with the spirit realm fell largely arbitrary, the villains had fallen, the heroes mostly cheated death, and someone got married --- yaay, good times for all.  The "Let's go on a vacation" "OK!" was really quick, sudden, and kinda campy even though I admire the progressive implications (though the writing for the series' was never really subtle).  And for a show with so many characters, an epilogue would have been nice.  But I wonder if we'll get those post-story comics like TLA had (which were actually quite good to read).  Certainly, despite the faults of these characters or the problems in how they're presented, I did like how 'real' they felt.  Suyin's chat with her son about "people being complicated" works so well for this and the show always struck a balance with them.

I did like the final showdown.  Indeed for the somewhat lack of "epic" the ending had (I still think that whole 'first avatar' story would have been best saved for the ending of the FINAL season than in the middle of the second, it was really hard to top that bit of exposition), I did like the final bout Korra had with Kuvira and how they really had to hammer into her before she gave up.  Kuvira, while a pretty thinly imagined character, was still fun to follow, and her tenacity is admirable.  

I'd say overall though, TLoK was much weaker than TLA.  It felt more like The Last Air Bender felt like it was imagined, from start to end, how the series would pan out, while The Legend of Korra was felt much more like planning it season-by-season*.  Certain times the show just felt schizophrenic, its message was jumbled, its character's behaviours somewhat erratic and strange, and the progression not too carefully planned out.  It succeeds in being great entertainment, certainly if not for the fights and lore alone, but thinking about it leads to some disappointment.

Code:
Think of the sheer difference in atmosphere and tension between Kuvira's last stand and Aang's long-awaited fight against the Fire Lord while is one way I see this.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 12:01:53 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1506 on: December 20, 2014, 02:50:32 AM »

So this week saw the end of both The Colbert Report and The Late Late Show with Craig Ferguson. The Colbert Report had an amazing send off after building it up over the last couple of weeks and I'm going to miss the hell out of it. The Late Late Show didn't. It had a fairly decent start but then went back to business for the second half and even with Bob Newhart at the very end, the episode felt like a 5 out of 10.

Adventures of Brisco County Jr.

It stars Bruce Campbell and I just watched a ninja (who killed Bruce's mother) run down the middle of the street in 1890s San Fransisco while pushing the emperor of China's baby in a carriage.

Superb.

Edit: the baby has a dragon tattoo on its ankle!

I really need to watch this again. Its still a crime that it got canned when it did, it had one more season in it at the very least.

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1507 on: December 20, 2014, 11:14:59 AM »

Ferguson's done? That's too bad, I didn't watch regularly, but I'd randomly catch it now and then and he's a pretty entertaining guy.

Korra

Code:
Lesbians out of nowhere, still less forced than Korra and Mako(Who ended up a alright dude when  not in a love triangle). Forget about them though, it's all about Varrick and Zhu li

Show did fail to live up to tla, but it did steadily improve as it went on.

For someone who's basically Stalin, Hitler AND genderswapped Rossiu, Kuvira was pretty damn likable.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1508 on: December 20, 2014, 11:53:24 AM »

Ferguson's done? That's too bad, I didn't watch regularly, but I'd randomly catch it now and then and he's a pretty entertaining guy.

Korra

Code:
Lesbians out of nowhere, still less forced than Korra and Mako(Who ended up a alright dude when  not in a love triangle). Forget about them though, it's all about Varrick and Zhu li

For someone who's basically Stalin, Hitler AND genderswapped Rossiu, Kuvira was pretty damn likable.

If they bothered to spend OOOOONE episode for them two, I would have bought it better (like how Katara and Zuko had 'their episode' together, or Sokka and Zuko did too).  It's nice they tried to build it up with season 3 and on, but it seriously wasn't enough but two friends hanging out.

The Colbert finale had all the pomp and ridiculousness I hoped it would.  He'll be missed, but i look forward to him being a late night host.  I'll miss the character for sure.  I should go track the Ferguson finale one too; I didn't actively watch him, but I liked when I saw it.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1509 on: December 20, 2014, 10:13:22 PM »

Korra

Code:

If they bothered to spend OOOOONE episode for them two, I would have bought it better (like how Katara and Zuko had 'their episode' together, or Sokka and Zuko did too).  It's nice they tried to build it up with season 3 and on, but it seriously wasn't enough but two friends hanging out.

The Colbert finale had all the pomp and ridiculousness I hoped it would.  He'll be missed, but i look forward to him being a late night host.  I'll miss the character for sure.  I should go track the Ferguson finale one too; I didn't actively watch him, but I liked when I saw it.

I can't believe that all the shippers actually saw it coming. But then again, I could see them being the motivating reason for the crack pairing to begin with. I suppose that once Mako's S-Rank got swiped from Korra, she was forced to shotgun with miss 'joins on the last goddamn chapter' as her next highest support. I guess its better than getting stuck with a random Village Maiden since Korra's time traveling daughter would only be slightly better than her instead of vastly superior (which is pretty crappy for a second third genner).

As for the Ferguson finale, can you confirm that his send off musical number only really contained a bunch of CBS stars and a few noteworthies like Shatner, because that's all that I really saw (and because I missed like half of that segment due to not coming straight from @Midnight that night).

Pages: 1 ... 99 100 [101] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: