Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 30, 2015, 04:45:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Have a great 2015 from all of us at RPGfan. :)
356160 Posts in 14463 Topics by 2262 Members
Latest Member: Yoru
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently watched Episodes of TELEVISION BOX offerings!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] Print
Author Topic: Recently watched Episodes of TELEVISION BOX offerings!  (Read 169475 times)
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1620 on: May 26, 2015, 02:56:28 PM »

Is it me, or do modern television series just love to depress the hell out of the viewers?

I can easily say I'm loving TV much more than being a "movie buff" these days.  Love reading your reactions to Cordon, at least it gets me excited for a US version

Season finale of the flash...

Wow...

Man tears...

TWICE IN THE SAME EPISODE!

Yeah, well done, and a great first season to a somewhat 'mid-tier superhero' like The Flash (at least, that's how I feel about him).  The drama, tension, and sense of action were always turned up.  I look forward to a second season, and that season finale plot twist (aka the death of a certain character) was unexpected and well done.  Hot dang.

ME WATCH TOO!!!

Grace and Frankie (Season 1)

Netflix is on a role with in-house programming, and Grace and Frankie is right up there too.  The series is a *perfect* "dramedy", a nice combination of light humour and some serious romantic/dramatic elements.
The show is about two hetero couples in their 'golden years' only for the two husbands to come out as gay... for each other.
A premise like this practically writes itself, but the material is handled very well.  For one, no jokes are made at the expense of homosexuals and relies on other material for its ha-has.  But the dramatic elements are surprisingly deep as it does look into both Grace and Frankie's lives after being 'dumped' 40 years into marriage, 20 in which their husbands were 'sneaking around'.  But the show examines with how they dealt with their feelings and even fought against them for the sake of their marriage and denying their consciousness (like how a "straight man" could possibly be interested in a man), as well as what would eventually led up to their inevitably difficult and hurtful 'coming out' which leaves the ladies angry, confused, and frankly quite jilted.

It's great too because it also demonstrates how their families work into this and deal with it, how the starring ladies "move on" (and yeah the idea of dating in the "golden years"), trying to get life back together, but also the residual connection between the couples ---- you don't stay married for 40 years and *immediately* cut your ex-spouse out of your life, there's going to be a bumpy road ahead.

Brianna wins for best character though.  But Coyote (yeah, that's a person's name) and the other sister barely registered even when the show tries to make you care.... I hate when that happens, worse is when it feels deliberately shoe-horned in for added drama.
Still, recommended. A great premise and a pretty entertaining series if you need something to pick up.

Oh, and holy fuck I need that beach house (or that other house with the bevelled roof).

Supergirl (pilot)

A series clearly made with women in mind...  A lady at a diner remarks:
"Can you believe it? A female superhero!  Finally someone for my daughter to look up to".

Amen.  The pilot has some of that "pilot awkward" of characters trying to fit the mould and tries to cover a lot of ground in its first episode, but for the most part it looks great, it's well cast, and has a fun atmosphere going for it.  Me, like many others have pointed out, don't like the almost too-lined up "Devil Wears Prada" vibe at the beginning, and certain parts feel a bit too much like "Superman but not" (like working a shitty job by day, kicking ass by night), but I do like how SG is conscious of her superhero-ness from the get-go than having to really work up to it (like Superman having the Smallville TV series, Daredevil only getting his monicker by the end of the season, or having yet another bunch of actors for Spiderman and the Fantastic 4 to 'reboot' the series). 
By the halfway point of episode 1, Kara is already donning her red and blues and finding her true colours.

While the serious and action segments work well, I think it's important to draw attention to Supergirl herself.  Melissa Benoist is equal parts adorable, goofy, and wonderfully confident to be the 'Supergirl' the show needs to create a less melodramatic hero (oh lord this happens way too often in the Marvel/DC cinematic universe), but still appropriately vulnerable when need be.

I do like the direction so far, and hope to see more as the characters get more and more comfortable in their roles.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 03:01:27 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1621 on: May 26, 2015, 04:35:28 PM »

Supergirl (pilot)

"Can you believe it? A female superhero!  Finally someone for my daughter to look up to".

Kind of agree with the criticism of this, though. That the series is too quick to constantly pat itself on the back for being the "Superhero show for ladies." I mean good for it for nailing that much needed niche, but it really doesn't have to constantly tell the viewers how they're supposed to be reacting to it.
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1622 on: May 26, 2015, 05:17:05 PM »

Supergirl (pilot)

Kind of agree with the criticism of this, though. That the series is too quick to constantly pat itself on the back for being the "Superhero show for ladies." I mean good for it for nailing that much needed niche, but it really doesn't have to constantly tell the viewers how they're supposed to be reacting to it.

I agree and disagree.  Yeah the quote comes off as very unabashed and transparent.  But given the wrongful assumption that the superhero genre is more or mostly "for the boys" and, in an extremely ideal scenario, this could be one of the first big shows with a leading (ie; not supporting) super lady.  And going off one episode, the first one at that, I really don't think it's enough to judge 'Supergirl' as super-girly and needing to hammer it in. 

But hell, by comparison, The Unbreakiable Kimmy Schmidt has the line "females are strong as hell" repeated in the opening.  If a show wants to tout its strong leading ladies, I support it since the entertainment industry is and has been widely male-dominated and (according to many actresses) largely sexist.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1623 on: May 27, 2015, 05:36:20 PM »

I can easily say I'm loving TV much more than being a "movie buff" these days.  Love reading your reactions to Cordon, at least it gets me excited for a US version

Yeah, there are shows out there that are really using those extra hours to build a full story with interesting characters. Modern blockbuster movies are so fast-paced, it feels like you're only getting the highlights (and you don't even have to watch the movie to see the actual highlights, since they put them all the in trailer!).

Cordon talk: even after the communication stop people are finding ways to get information out of the cordon. A cop uses a PSP to smuggle out security footage that may show the actual patient zero. Not in a product placement kind of way, it's just someone was clever enough to use a harmless looking toy with video features most people are unaware off. The show doesn't explain this, by the way, it's just one of those small details you can catch. The sweetest bit of smuggling, however, was a video message on a memory card send out of the cordon using a red helium balloon. What's on it? A video message from a little girl to her grandmother. It's the little girl's birthday she and her parents are all healthy and are celebrating with improvised cake.

Meanwhile the whodunnit part of the story is shifting into high gear, which is great, because that means there will be a full explanation for the origin of the virus (either that or they're going to hand the viewer a couple of very plausible scenarios and leave it at that, which is something I guess I could respect if done well). And with the introduction of a possible vaccine it looks like the whole thing will be wrapped up neatly within the 10 episodes IMDB says this series consists of.

Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: