Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2016, 11:40:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
237400 Posts in 7076 Topics by 2350 Members
Latest Member: octorick
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 486443 times)
Rook

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3720 on: April 27, 2016, 08:10:03 PM »

I just finished Swartzmarken. It was both abjectly terrible and very good at the same time. I really don't know what to make of it.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3721 on: May 03, 2016, 05:00:38 PM »

I had an interview for a job at Kodansha last week and the manager sent me a copy of Inuyashiki Vol. 1 because he's really enjoying the series and is excited by it. So I started reading it out of curiosity because the premise sounded interesting. I'm to chapter four and have enjoyed it so far. Poor Ichiro, I felt bad for him, but I'm glad he's getting a second, hilariously rad chance at life.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3722 on: May 04, 2016, 06:32:37 AM »

I had an interview for a job at Kodansha last week and the manager sent me a copy of Inuyashiki Vol. 1 because he's really enjoying the series and is excited by it. So I started reading it out of curiosity because the premise sounded interesting. I'm to chapter four and have enjoyed it so far. Poor Ichiro, I felt bad for him, but I'm glad he's getting a second, hilariously rad chance at life.
My brain initially read this as Inuyasha as I stopped after the first few letters in the title, and I was just left confused as to why someone at Kodansha would send you a Viz title, or why someone would be excited over a series that has been over for years. Then I realized I misread it and everything made more sense. XP
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3723 on: May 04, 2016, 09:54:32 AM »

My brain initially read this as Inuyasha as I stopped after the first few letters in the title, and I was just left confused as to why someone at Kodansha would send you a Viz title, or why someone would be excited over a series that has been over for years. Then I realized I misread it and everything made more sense. XP

That's immediately where my mind went when I first saw the title in the manager's office at the interview. I had to forcefully remove Inuyasha from my mind, and even now it jumps in there when I see Inuyashiki.

Though it still bothers me how quickly Inuyasha went to crap. It had the potential of being my favorite anime had it not tanked so hard during the second season.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3724 on: Today at 06:29:16 AM »

Though it still bothers me how quickly Inuyasha went to crap. It had the potential of being my favorite anime had it not tanked so hard during the second season.
...I have no freaking clue of which arc of the manga corresponds to the second season. Or was that filler? Wait were there filler arcs in the anime? I don't remember. I remember one arc from the anime that I assumed was filler (something involving several bandits that were brought back from the dead by Naraku) which turned out to be in the manga when I later read the manga. Now I can't remember whether there were filler arcs in the anime or not since all the arcs are the exact same thing over and over again. x_x
Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3725 on: Today at 09:43:24 AM »

...I have no freaking clue of which arc of the manga corresponds to the second season. Or was that filler? Wait were there filler arcs in the anime? I don't remember. I remember one arc from the anime that I assumed was filler (something involving several bandits that were brought back from the dead by Naraku) which turned out to be in the manga when I later read the manga. Now I can't remember whether there were filler arcs in the anime or not since all the arcs are the exact same thing over and over again. x_x

Rumiko Takahashi's manga are generally all absolutely fantastic, but the anime adaptations are always filler-y.

Current RPG - Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3726 on: Today at 10:19:54 AM »

Rumiko Takahashi's manga are generally all absolutely fantastic, but the anime adaptations are always filler-y.

I never read the manga. Maybe I should give it a shot, but I do know for a fact that the anime was loaded with filler. They actually ended the anime series several years before the manga finished because it just wasn't doing well and wasn't interesting at all. Compounding that was an experience I had at a book store back when the RuroKen manga was first being published in English. A crazed Inuyasha fan was also browsing the manga after having talked to me about Inuyasha for five minutes. When she passed the first volume of RuroKen she said that Kenshin "looked just like Inuyasha," and it made my eighteen year old self mad for some reason I don't remember. I know it's not fair, but I've had a distaste for Inuyasha ever since.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3727 on: Today at 10:40:37 AM »

The problem with Inuyasha is that the ending is retarded and it makes you wonder why they didn't kill Naraku volumes ago since almost none of the power-ups they spent years hunting were actually needed.

It feels like they went to the extra dungeon, leveled to 255 and got all the best equipment, but the last boss is level 60 and can be beaten with gear sold at the last town's store.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3728 on: Today at 11:26:51 AM »

The problem with Inuyasha is that the ending is retarded and it makes you wonder why they didn't kill Naraku volumes ago since almost none of the power-ups they spent years hunting were actually needed.

It feels like they went to the extra dungeon, leveled to 255 and got all the best equipment, but the last boss is level 60 and can be beaten with gear sold at the last town's store.

I was thinking more along the lines of Golden Sun where the party is constantly getting plot blocked by some kind of arbitrary obstacle and they need this one specific Psyenergy for, which requires going through this long and involved sequence of events, topped off by yet another filler dungeon, for the item needed to cast that specific Psyenergy, then you use it once and now the item is forever cluttering your limited inventory.

Not that the upgrades were at all balanced. Inuyasha got like 20 of the damn things by the end while chumps like Muroku got the ability to not feel the poison designed to fuck him up and nothing else (not that the poison wasn't still fucking him up, he just no longer did his best Nic Cage impression every time he even thought about using his one good attack), though Sango also only ever got the one upgrade right near the end, but it was actually legitimately useful (she went from constantly getting Worf'd to doing Inuyasha levels of damage), and Shippo got Fox Fire when he joined (back in episode 9 or something) and literally nothing else (in spite of all the fucking episodes about the little shit, nevermind the eleventh hour power station), and Koga got flat out downgraded and his endgame 'upgrade' was a total gyp. And of course all of the non-Inuyasha upgrades came either at the very beginning or at the very end (okay, Sesshy got a sword, but that was mostly to antagonize Inuyasha with; and of course the rest of his crew got zilch).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3729 on: Today at 02:35:01 PM »

I never read the manga. Maybe I should give it a shot, but I do know for a fact that the anime was loaded with filler. They actually ended the anime series several years before the manga finished because it just wasn't doing well and wasn't interesting at all. Compounding that was an experience I had at a book store back when the RuroKen manga was first being published in English. A crazed Inuyasha fan was also browsing the manga after having talked to me about Inuyasha for five minutes. When she passed the first volume of RuroKen she said that Kenshin "looked just like Inuyasha," and it made my eighteen year old self mad for some reason I don't remember. I know it's not fair, but I've had a distaste for Inuyasha ever since.

Don't bother. No, reallly, and I'm saying this als one of those teenaged girls that loved the series back in the day.*

It's one of those series that's the most fun when you get on the ride at the right time/age. Outside of that context it's just one of many fun shonenseries that went on for way too long.

Oh, and yes, the fans were (and probably still are) still annoying. I can only hope I wasn't too bad, but then again, my awfulness was probably contained by not having anyone to talk to.

Have a funny Youtube video.

*To the point where I bought the first volumes in three different languages. Started out in German, and when they announced it would be available in Dutch, I started collecting that edition. Then the Dutch manga industry died/was murdered by the Japanese publishers, and I turned my back on the series for a while. However, Viz suddenly started publishing those omnibusses and I was feeling nostalgic and, yeah, I finally own the whole series now.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3730 on: Today at 03:56:07 PM »

BTW, I started watching the new Macross.

There was a warning here about the show being stupid, but I wasn't prepared for that level of stupidity.
It's plain ridiculous and it seems the only way to go on with the show is to watch it without any cognitive function active.
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 [249] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: