Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 11:54:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337940 Posts in 13835 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Anime/Manga Journal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] Print
Author Topic: Anime/Manga Journal  (Read 295319 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3045 on: November 16, 2014, 04:14:07 AM »

The last few episodes of SAO have been pretty good.
I think the show is much better with its sub plots than its main plots.

The gun one right? Because the fairy one just kept getting progressively worse as it dragged on.

Well, yes, the gun season, but they are back in the fairy game now.
They are just kind of dicking around and that's fine; much better than GGO.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3046 on: November 16, 2014, 06:59:30 PM »

Psycho Pass 2 is pretty ridiculous, but even in it's nonsense I can't help but be thoroughly entertained. It certainly doesn't has the stronger writing from s1 though.
Me and my bro are watching it in conjunction and we laughed our asses off when that old man said "I want to save lives like Kamui" in the context of what he was doing.

Fate Stay Night has been pretty samey in comparison with the 2006 anime so far apart from a few scenes and slight differences in character interactions. Doesn't help that I watched the 2006 anime during the summer. The animation is much higher quality but still.. I wonder when things will actually get considerably different.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 07:02:35 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3047 on: November 16, 2014, 08:26:42 PM »

I wonder when things will actually get considerably different.

Very soon.  Like possibly next episode soon.

Though I would argue that even though the general plot has been pretty similar so far (they're adaptions of the same material, after all), when you start digging into the details there's already a ton of stuff that's quite different.  There are so many subtleties in this version that Studio Deen glossed over.

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3048 on: November 17, 2014, 06:14:45 AM »

Yeah I noticed some things,like how they imply more heavily that
Code:
the main character becomes Archer

Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3049 on: November 18, 2014, 02:14:23 PM »

Pom Poko

This is such a weird Ghibli flick that I've partially ignored and partially held off on.... Ah well, here we go:

= I'm surprised that it went this route, but I liked the 'mockumentary' style going on in this film with all the matter-of-fact details on "raccoon" (i.e. 'tanuki') ways of life, even with several main characters getting their own narration input.

= Art shifts, or rather tanuki shifting is strange.  What are the more oblong versions of them we see when we're happy?  I do like the shift from tanuki to raccoons though.

= This flick is also super-steeped in Japanese culture and myth that I can't help but feel I'm missing out on a good number of jokes because of it.

= Dubbing this must have been a nightmare.  I watched the film in English but with Japanese Subtitles and there's a few changes to say the least.  I give the team credit for doing as well as they did.  They did change, almost entirely, any song about their magical testicles...which I can't really argue with (I guess growing up on this side of the planet has made me a bit more prudish about this?  To be fair though... THEY'RE GIANT BALLS that can be resized/transformed and it's juuuust a BIIIT weird).  But other songs have been really well adapted to create some pleasant rhyme or song out of it.

= On that note; Ghibli actually does a really great job dubbing, sometimes even adding a bit more context to scenes or, daresay, creating more interesting dialogue choices than the Japanese counterpart (I can't imagine this being a popular opinion).

=  This film is both funny and really gross.  Certainly detailing "spring fever" is a bit weird with characteristically and human-like tanuki; but I respect the decisions to show all facets of raccoon life over the years.  However, also shown is women fighting off horny male tanuki which comes off as more disturbing than outright funny.  On the other hand, seeing how lazy and useless the tanuki are against a good meal creates great chuckles throughout the film and is pretty foreshadowing that their efforts to win the forest back from humans may be doomed from the start.  The tanukis in this seem to be a lot of fun but not very respectable creatures, so they make for an interesting "hero" to follow.

= I love Ghibli's Secret World of Arietty, but my biggest complaint is the slow pace that makes the film feel too much like boy-meets-girl, they talk once, then it's on to the film's climax.  One thing I love about Pom Poco is I feel that almost EVERYTHING happens in this film.  Multiple perspectives, divided sides, love, loss, and numerous amusing attempts to haunt the local residences with their transforming abilities.  The story also has a nice ending that's given a good amount of screen time since many characters in the film are followed.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3050 on: November 20, 2014, 06:02:43 PM »

Out of pretty much every anime I've ever seen, I don't think I've seen anything quite as Japanese as Pom Poko was.

Also, goddammit! I just caught myself up on the latest couple of chapters of Attack on Titan and now I want to theory craft like mad on where the plot is going next. All I can safely say is that "Plot Intensifies!" .

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: November 20, 2014, 06:42:22 PM »

Thought y'all might enjoy this shirt:

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3052 on: November 21, 2014, 11:08:36 PM »

Tis, Tooks! 

http://www.super-groupies.com/
I'm actually gonna keep my eyes peeled here for fashionable anime-inspired apparel/accesories.  Holy smokes it's nice (and pricey).  I probably can't rock normal t-shirts with anime peeps on them, so I think this might be my best compromise between fashion and geek hemispheres.

As for my anime watching:
http://www.rpgfan.com/boards/index.php?topic=3927.msg348604#msg348604

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 ... 202 203 [204] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: