Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 06, 2016, 06:33:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
376903 Posts in 15088 Topics by 2331 Members
Latest Member: hitmonkey
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Movies that make you cry
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Movies that make you cry  (Read 3999 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2016, 11:17:33 PM »

Pretty sure I haven't cried watching a movie since the first (three) time(s) I watched Iron Giant back when I was 10. Not to say I'm a tough guy or anything (I think the number of times One Piece has had me balling is proof enough, but it's hardly the only example). It's just that it usually requires the death or loss of something that I've become attached to for me to get sad enough to cry, and it's rare that I see a movie these days where I can get attached to anything, let alone ones where they die or are otherwise lost. Other ones that made me cry as a kid:

Bambi (first time, at least. Even as a kid, I could tell the drama was forced)

Old Yeller

The Fox and The Hound

The Land Before Time (mostly just the end song in the first movie. As a kid, I always believed the singer was supposed to be Little Foot's mother singing her son one last song from the great beyond, though I now doubt that was ever true. It's still a beautiful song, regardless, of course)

Transformers: The Movie (Okay, 15 might not exactly count as a kid, and the fact that I had recently seen the first Bayformers shit all over one of my favorite childhood franchises may have played a part in making me especially emotional, but damnit, Optimus' death scene still got me right in the feels...)

I'm tempted to make a joke about how the movies made for kids can be more emotionally involved than movies supposedly meant for mature adults, but really, that list just proves that I had better tastes in movies as a kid than I do as an adult. I probably had more patience to sit through them the whole way back then, too.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 11:21:53 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

...AND STEVEN.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2016, 11:39:27 PM »

Kids films can really kick you in the gut.  Good call on The Land Before Time.... and a small moment of silence for the absolute dross its turned into.

Oh.  Shit. 
Speaking of kids. 
Sophie's Choice.  The choice.  Meryl Streep Meryl Steep's the fuck out of that performance as she always does and makes you want to claw at your heart. For those who don't know:
Code:
Nazi Germany, Auschwitz.  Soldier goes to Sophie and offers a choice: Keep one kid or both go to the gas chamber --- which do you offer?  Which do you choose?   ----She picks the daughter in the last second before both can get taken.  You hear her scream and Sophie starts dying on the inside.  It's gut wrenching.

--

I hate this fucking movie, it's Oscar-primed romantic garbage... but the end of The English Patient also kills me a bit.  I give credit more to good actors selling the parts.
Code:
At the big climax, Kristin Scott Thomas's husband deliberately crashes their plane when he finds out she's having an affair with Voldemort -- I mean Ralph Fiennes.  She lives, but barely.  He puts her in a cave to stay safe with provisions and treks out for three days to the nearest town.  Unable to explain himself after the tiring trip he's instead accused of being a spy and gets thrown into prison.  He gets back after some time, she's, of course, already dead when he can finally reach her.

--

Obviously this too ;P
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 11:42:44 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2016, 01:05:03 AM »

Defendor

Code:
At first, this is a quirky comedy about a vigilante with about slight mental handicap, fighting crime so he can find the guy that killed his mom, Captain Industry.

Then it turns out she died of an overdose and he asked about her death at a young age, and found out she was killed by the "captains of industry" that control the drug trade.

I feel like a lot of critics were objectively (yeah, I know) wrong about this movie claiming it's too tonally uneven but it has a perfect balance and treats the character with humility.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
natros
Pizza Enthusiast

Right! I'll do you for that!!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2016, 01:14:28 PM »

Perhaps I'm breaking the topic mold here, but my post is in regards to a TV show. Specifically, Homicide: Life on the Street.
It was an episode in which a 9 or 10-ish year old child is accidentally shot while at the mall with his parents. The whole episode, while the stars of the show are on the hunt for the shooter, the child is on life support. Towards the end of the episode, the doctor explains to the parents that there is absolutely no hope, and that it's best take their son off of support. After agreeing, the mother repeatedly begs the doctor to let her hold her child in her arms as he passes way. The doctor initially refuses, but gives in and allows it. They show her dropping to her knees, bawling her eyes out while holding him. I don't know if I've ever cried so hard at something I've seen on any screen (TV or movie). It hit me especially hard because I'm father to a boy.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2016, 09:57:48 PM »

Most recently?

the ending to the electric grandmother for some reason

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2016, 10:34:47 PM »

Ghost still makes me cry, and Forrest Gump (I think it did) and Horns almost made me cry.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: