Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2014, 04:23:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319062 Posts in 13031 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 244 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 334137 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2580 on: July 28, 2012, 02:58:34 PM »

Yesterday I was seeing for curiosity (also fuck my curiosity) in IMDb a list of fucked up horror movies. Horrible stuff. :(

After that mess I found myself seeing a list of movies directed by Stanley Kubrick, and I didn't know that the guy made so many influencial movies in his career.

Read a bit about some of his movies until I get to one called "Paths of Glory". I didn't saw the whole thing outside of the beginning and the last half hour or so, it holds up pretty well and at least for the parts I saw it was a pretty intense.

For someone like me that is really not into stories set in war times but manage to appreciate the movie I guess is a testament to the quality of the film itself.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2581 on: July 31, 2012, 11:15:45 AM »

Oh Stanley... yeah, he is messed up, but definitely a unique visionary.

Anyways.  I saw The Dark Knight Rises, finally.
Loved it.

Spoilz ahoy...

Code:
- Joker was definitely the better villain, but I thought overall, DKR was stronger as a whole
- Anne Hathaway certainly has come a long way since Disney's Princess Diaries, and how!
- I'm glad they snuck in some Scarecrow time
- After reading it here, yeah, I notived every time they said [u]THE[/u] Batman.
- [b]Main Beef:[/b] having just come from there and rewatching [the] Batman Begins, they put like NO effort into hiding that Gotham City was simply New York City.  I'm sure half the flick took place in Wallstreet, you can see The Freemdom Tower in half of the aerial city shots.
- ^ but kudos to Nolan avoid CGI shots whenever possible.
- I like all this internet hooplah about some apparent jabs taken at the whole "occupy wallstreet" thing or whatever.
- The Bat is just plain unfair.
- Oooh, Pavane for a Dead Princess. Glad it was used, that's one of my choices for "classical songs I like that no one knows about"
- Fucking rich people; a ball with rose petals [i]always[/i] falling?? D: I bet they disintegrate when they hit the ground, or if they fall into a drink, they turn into ice.  Why? Because rich people.
- I *loved* how Blake was used (friend tells me he's a combo pack of all 3 Robins); but I'm glad they were subtle with it, something about Robin sort of throws off the more dark vision of Gotham city to me.
- Bane was awesome, 'cept he went out with a bit more of a [i]whimper[/i] despite the literal [b]bang[/b] that ended him.
- I have a thing for guys who like sports -- current boyfriend is into sports.  He pointed out that the (IIRC) Footballer who ran across the screen when everything turned to shit was a legit player and maybe the only pro-player [he was able to see].
- Perfect end to the series too. Hope Alfred joined the fun, and Selena certainly took that to an 11 by actually being there.  I'm glad it is over more than sad, I'd love to see what else Nolan can cook up.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 12:12:34 PM by Tooker » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: August 01, 2012, 12:13:27 PM »

Naughty Dice - some of us still haven't had the chance to see it.  Thanks to my awesome staff powers, I put your spoilers into a spoiler box.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
Kurt Vonnegut
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2583 on: August 01, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »

Naughty Dice - some of us still haven't had the chance to see it.  Thanks to my awesome staff powers, I put your spoilers into a spoiler box.
Exactly! I was scrolling down, and BAM there it was. I scrolled back up real quick so I didn't see anything, but sometimes it's hard to ignore it all. That's why the spoiler box is so essential.
I'm still not sure if and when I'll see it. At this point probably not until Blu release.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2584 on: August 01, 2012, 06:44:04 PM »

People with an IQ above room temp could stop reading after she said "spoils ahoy"

Dice, you aight

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2585 on: August 01, 2012, 06:45:26 PM »

I'm still not sure if and when I'll see it. At this point probably not until Blu release.

I'm with you too. Shit looks sharper at home on a bluray too.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2586 on: August 02, 2012, 05:35:34 AM »

While spoliery, she didn't even mention the main spoiler, so you is cool.

I saw it last night and enjoyed it very much, except for the 6 teenagers behind us who wouldnt shut up and one decided to use the back of my chair to put their feet up despite their being plenty leg room (I'm 6'6 and I found it roomy, so their is no excuse), though I don't think I can hold Nolan accountable for that one.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2587 on: August 02, 2012, 10:53:42 AM »

While spoliery, she didn't even mention the main spoiler, so you is cool.

I saw it last night and enjoyed it very much, except for the 6 teenagers behind us who wouldnt shut up and one decided to use the back of my chair to put their feet up despite their being plenty leg room (I'm 6'6 and I found it roomy, so their is no excuse), though I don't think I can hold Nolan accountable for that one.

Six-fucking-six?!?!  Holy shit batman (pun totally works here).
Yeah, I'd have used that height to intimidate them to shut the fuck up and get their feet off your seat.

My favorite is when I tell people to be quiet in class and they give me "a look".  Where, unlike a movie theatre, you pay $500 a class to get taught and people talk through it. Motherfuckers like that or any chatty-Cathy annoys the hell out of me.

But... I do find some people like that can easily ruin the quality of a movie.  I watched X-Men 2 with chatty butt-holes and everyone liked it more than I did.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2588 on: August 02, 2012, 01:25:27 PM »

Yeah, I'm tall but forget I'm tall, I think my brain thinks I'm really short, and thus I forget to use it to my advantage and every time someone reminds me it slightly shocks me. Like, "Oh yeah, so I am."

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2589 on: August 02, 2012, 05:23:17 PM »

I need to teach Goosey how to be an asshole

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2590 on: August 02, 2012, 06:01:09 PM »

I like being nice. :(

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2591 on: August 03, 2012, 07:55:08 PM »

The Dark Knight Rises -

*very minor spoilers*

I saw this in what was supposed to be an IMAX theater, but seemed way too small to be such. I think it was one of those retro-fitted IMAX theaters. It still looked and sounded great, but I felt kind of gipped.
Anyway, the movie...
A very entertaining movie with a lot of layers. It was long, but it never dragged, or had me wishing they would move on. All the key players were great as always. The new additions like Anne Hathaway and Joseph Gordon Levitt were both very good, and I would have liked to have seen even more of them. Especially Anne in that outfit. DAMN. A-hem...
I found Miranda Tate(Marion Cotillard) to be a wasted character. I HATED the part that she plays in the end. Completely lost me.
Bane was an interesting villain, with ideas and a past, but he mostly just ends up being a guy who can beat the shit out of people. I would have liked to have seen a little more of his politics and a little less thuggery.
The underlying themes here are very relevant to our modern society. Some of what Bane wants to do even makes sense! How he goes about doing it is obviously not the way to go. Still, the movie makes you think, and that's always a good thing.
While I enjoyed it, it is far from perfect. There was a few extremely coincidental events that had me shaking my head. I also felt the movie would have been better without Miranda Tate. Kind of how TDK would have been better without Harvey Dent. The part she plays in the end felt very contrived, and the movie loses a star just for that.
I'm still glad I saw it in the theater, as it's an amazing looking movie with a powerful score that shook the theater. It's just nowhere near as good as it could have been. I'd say TDK, despite it's issues, is still the better movie. Overall, though, it's been a great series.

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2592 on: August 03, 2012, 08:52:02 PM »

I need to see DKR soon.  One of my good friends is in the movie as a reporter for his first gig so I kinda want to see it because of that alone.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2593 on: August 04, 2012, 06:01:11 AM »

@Grim, I agree with you for pretty much most of it. Although I did like the inclusion of
Talia
, I feel like the reveal could have been better. Though there were clues in the lead up to it,
Bane saying that "Everything has gone as planned" when talking with the board member who used Wall Street to make Wayne enterprises lose all its money and install him as chairman, even though the plan all along was to have Talia seduce Bruce and install herself as chairwoman. Also the scar we see on her back at the sex scene suggests something a little more than what we have seen of her up until that point.

The reveal itself could have been a little bit better I spose.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 06:03:13 AM by Starmongoose » Logged

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2594 on: August 04, 2012, 11:23:53 AM »

@Grim, I agree with you for pretty much most of it. Although I did like the inclusion of
Talia
, I feel like the reveal could have been better. Though there were clues in the lead up to it,
Bane saying that "Everything has gone as planned" when talking with the board member who used Wall Street to make Wayne enterprises lose all its money and install him as chairman, even though the plan all along was to have Talia seduce Bruce and install herself as chairwoman. Also the scar we see on her back at the sex scene suggests something a little more than what we have seen of her up until that point.

The reveal itself could have been a little bit better I spose.

And here's where I show my ignorance.
Code:
Who's Talia? Some Batman character than I am unaware of? And who was actually trained by the League of Shadows? Both Tate AND Bane? And exactly how old was Bane? He looked the same age in the flashback as he does in the present. Hmmm

I actually watched another movie last night because I have to keep my queue moving.
Field of Dreams -
Another movie that I'm surprised I never saw.
A very simple story with an obvious meaning. The antidote to all that's dark and dreary. Sure, it's about baseball, but in the end, it really isn't about baseball.
I won't bother going into specifics, as I'm sure most people who wanted to see it saw it a long time ago.
We have a corn field turned into a baseball field that draws in past ball players. This is turn shows the key players(in our story, not the game) what life is really about. *cue sappy music*
Well, I liked it for the most part, sap and all. It has a very nostalgic feeling about it. Probably the only thing that bothered me was the wife character. Man, was she obnoxious.
Anyway, a touching movie about baseball and life that everyone should see. The end.

Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 244 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: