Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 07:00:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337983 Posts in 13836 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 260 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 385020 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2625 on: August 25, 2012, 05:30:58 PM »

I was pumped to see Expendables 1 with my friends with the hopes they'd make it a callback to 80s action movies. Instead they tried to make a new action movie with old dudes in it.

Is Exp 2 more of a lighthearted approach that doesn't take itself too seriously?
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2626 on: August 25, 2012, 06:15:07 PM »

It's definitely more lighthearted than the first movie; a lot of scenes were self-referential jokes to 80s and 90s catch phrases ("I'M BACK!"), internet jokes regarding some of the actors, and the absurdity inherent to old action flicks where that one guy can take down a battalion of trained soldiers with one hand tied behind his back (there's this scene where all the characters in the movie are looking around going "WTF???"). There's some semblance of plot and stuff but it's really just an excuse for characters to blow shit up and shoot at things.

Although, I did have a few complaints: Jet Li was only in the movie for like five fucking minutes (he's one of the main reasons I went to watch it) and there weren't nearly enough hand-to-hand fight scenes - the fight scene between Jet Li and Dolph Lundgren in Expendables 1 was one of my favorite scenes in the whole movie - it was just too damn short (under two minutes for the whole fight). There was one really brutal (and really satisfying) fight scene at the end, but like I said, not nearly enough.

I was raised on all the those guys and their movies, too. I can't say I have any interest in seeing their old asses in a modern day action flik, though.
I still love action movies and explosions. I just prefer they be accompanied by a decent story and characters, too. Too bad this is so hard to come by nowadays(or ever?).
I guess that's where we differ; I don't really mind if there's no real substance behind a movie as long as I can be entertained by things exploding and getting shot up - probably why the Transformers trilogy didn't offend me at all whereas everyone else vomits vitriol whenever they speak of it.

Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2627 on: August 25, 2012, 06:44:13 PM »

I'm with Ashton. Not every movie has to have engaging plot or substance. Having all these guys in one flick is amazing and it's a shame it's happening only at the end of most of their careers.

I could watch Commando endlessly.

Recently my buddy and I watched all the rambo movies in an awesome marathon.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2628 on: August 25, 2012, 06:51:43 PM »

The drummer in this band I've been jamming with made us watch The Rocker.  It's a predictable and silly comedy, but it was still funny.  I especially found the beginning hysterical.  Maybe it's because I was with the right kind of company.  Sometimes the people you're with are what makes the movie experience. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2629 on: August 25, 2012, 07:01:42 PM »

Have you ever watched a comedy you love with a group of people that didn't get it?

That's the biggest bummer ever.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2630 on: August 25, 2012, 09:28:11 PM »

I'm with Ashton. Not every movie has to have engaging plot or substance. Having all these guys in one flick is amazing and it's a shame it's happening only at the end of most of their careers.

I could watch Commando endlessly.

Recently my buddy and I watched all the rambo movies in an awesome marathon.
To me, it would have been awesome back when they were in their prime. Now it just has an air of desperation about it. Plus, most of these guys are tainted by all that has gone on in between then and now. Like how Chuck Norris is a total nutjob, and Arnie was the unlikely politician.  Granted, I haven't seen either movie, so I may very well love them. Who knows?

Have you ever watched a comedy you love with a group of people that didn't get it?

That's the biggest bummer ever.
Didn't get it, or simply doesn't like that style of humor? Big difference. What movie are you talking about? I say this because I tend to dislike a lot of comedies that seem to popular with the masses. Anchorman, Bridesmaids, Knocked Up, Superbad, etc. None of those are about "not getting it". They're about not liking silly, sophomoric humor.

I'm not trying to start an argument. I just love talking movies, and I figured I would put in my .25cents.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2631 on: August 25, 2012, 10:14:59 PM »

Blues Brothers. That's not a comedy in the traditional sense but I laugh and smile at almost all of the scenes in that movie. I tried introducing it to some people once and they were like:

Also, how is Norris a "total nutjob?"

Unless I missed some news about him beating up his family all I know is he's a tough old dude that the internet embraced.

If they make a #3 this guy better be in it:

I bet he's still in awesome shape.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2632 on: August 26, 2012, 07:15:22 AM »

Blues Brothers and This Is Spinal Tap are two of my all time favorite movies.  Blues Brothers 2000 was lame, though, except for John Goodman. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2633 on: August 26, 2012, 11:05:38 AM »

Blues Brothers. That's not a comedy in the traditional sense but I laugh and smile at almost all of the scenes in that movie. I tried introducing it to some people once and they were like:

Also, how is Norris a "total nutjob?"

Unless I missed some news about him beating up his family all I know is he's a tough old dude that the internet embraced.

If they make a #3 this guy better be in it:

I bet he's still in awesome shape.
They didn't like Blues Brothers?! Yeah, I'm with you there. That's just wrong.

Chuck = right wing, bible-thumping, nut job:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlaWbCbZhAA
All the cool stock he built up with me over the years vanished when I saw this.

Forgot to put in the movie my wife and I watched last night.
The Time Travelers Wife - Eww, this was bad. We have a dude who hops around through time for no apparent reason. We have a woman who loves him for no apparent reason. Then we are shown how they meet each other at different times in her life. It's all very hokey, and done without a shred of emotion. I never cared or felt connected to these characters. The only positive was the cuteness of Rachel McAdams, and she needs to eat more.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 11:07:58 AM by GrimReality » Logged

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2634 on: August 26, 2012, 01:59:12 PM »

I don't see how being right wing and a bible thumper or whatever has anything to do with acting ability. I disagree with his views, but that has no bearing on whether I like seeing him on the silver screen or not. The only way my enjoyment could possibly be dulled is if the actor in question was a total amoral douchebag in real life. I don't know what exactly your beliefs are but honestly, saying that just because you disagree with someone's views is reason enough to dismiss them outright regardless of the venue/medium is narrow-minded. I don't like what Arnold did for California as governor, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy Terminator 2 anymore because of it.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2012, 02:11:28 PM by Ashton » Logged

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2635 on: August 26, 2012, 04:43:03 PM »

I don't see how being right wing and a bible thumper or whatever has anything to do with acting ability. I disagree with his views, but that has no bearing on whether I like seeing him on the silver screen or not. The only way my enjoyment could possibly be dulled is if the actor in question was a total amoral douchebag in real life. I don't know what exactly your beliefs are but honestly, saying that just because you disagree with someone's views is reason enough to dismiss them outright regardless of the venue/medium is narrow-minded. I don't like what Arnold did for California as governor, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy Terminator 2 anymore because of it.
Of course you're right. Generally, I care not what any celebrity believes or doesn't believe. As long as they're entertaining on the screen. Thing is, Chuck did a total 180. To go from bad ass to...THAT. That's quite a change. I'm actually quite surprised he agreed to be in the movie. When was the last time he was actually in a movie or show besides this? It's been a long while. I think his transformation so shocked me that it taints anything he does. That's why I laugh at anyone who doesn't see the Chuck meme for the ironic silliness that it is.
Whatever. far more interesting things to talk about.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2636 on: August 26, 2012, 09:23:51 PM »

The Time Travelers Wife - Eww, this was bad. We have a dude who hops around through time for no apparent reason. We have a woman who loves him for no apparent reason. Then we are shown how they meet each other at different times in her life. It's all very hokey, and done without a shred of emotion. I never cared or felt connected to these characters. The only positive was the cuteness of Rachel McAdams, and she needs to eat more.

That's a shame.  I actually thought the book was pretty decent.  I know there are a lot of Doctor Who fans here, so I think you'll understand when I say that in the book, they have a similar relationship to The Doctor and River Song.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2637 on: August 26, 2012, 09:24:24 PM »

Expendables 2 was great!

That opening sequence was hilarious and awesome. This had more of a classic 80s/90s flair for sure. The asian chick in there was cute too.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2638 on: August 28, 2012, 12:53:54 AM »

Found this movie from 1973 called Fantastic Planet and it's... different to say the least. Though, I'm impressed with the soundtrack. Good stuff.

Generique
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2639 on: August 30, 2012, 11:28:42 PM »

Found this movie from 1973 called Fantastic Planet and it's... different to say the least. Though, I'm impressed with the soundtrack. Good stuff.

Generique

I see this movie pop up every so often. Yeah, it was from the psychedelic 70s, so I believe you when you call it "...different" (anyone remember/watch the animated film "Wizards" from 1977? psychedlic is all over this, and it's in a goddamn myth-medieval setting!!!  Speaking of which, anyone remember that *absolutely* amazing villain death? For a movie called and about a wizard, this was the least likely and best death I could have imagined).

Keith (2008)
This has to be one of the BEST romantic "dramadies" I've seen.  Keith himself is an extraordinarily deep, witty, yet hard to understand character, with only subtle hints that let you really understand him and his motives.  If you take "A Walk to Remember", reverse the roles, make the leads 100x more charismatic and compelling, and you get this film.  Makes me sad Nicholas Spark's film adaptations have done so well in the box office when there is good material is actually out there.  Stars Jesse McCartney and Elisabeth Harnois (a pretty interesting match-up in real life).
9/10
DiceApproved!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 12:08:43 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 260 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: