Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 03:23:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327344 Posts in 13403 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 252 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 352850 times)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2985 on: May 16, 2013, 11:24:52 AM »

Star Trek - Into Darkness

The first half was actually not that terrible.

The second half was actually pretty terrible.

Kinda sounds like a more saturated review of the first one then:
I *loved* the first half of the first film; kinda...bleh/whatever with the second half.

Shame to hear.  I hope it's entertaining if anything.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2986 on: May 16, 2013, 11:41:13 AM »

I *loved* the first half of the first film; kinda...bleh/whatever with the second half.

I went and saw that last night, it was a pretty film, but I thought the plot was cliche as hell and some moments were just plain goofy.

But maybe that was intended, I dunno, it just seemed like they were playing it straight.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2987 on: May 16, 2013, 12:12:33 PM »

They were probably playing it straight because the main villain is
Code:
Khan

(Spoilered that, not sure if it's a spoiler or not but I'll play it safe) In case you arn't a nerd, that's
Code:
the main villain from what is considered by some one of the best Star Trek movies.

Wasn't really expecting much myself. I didn't like the first film very much but a part of me wanted to believe that after they got the initial success from the first film they would try more than just make "Generic Space Action Film No. 532343" this time. Oh well.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 12:20:21 PM by Hathen » Logged
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2988 on: May 16, 2013, 12:53:33 PM »

I went and saw that last night, it was a pretty film, but I thought the plot was cliche as hell and some moments were just plain goofy.

But maybe that was intended, I dunno, it just seemed like they were playing it straight.

So now its every odd ST movie that's better than every even ST movie now?

They were probably playing it straight because the main villain is
Code:
Khan

(Spoilered that, not sure if it's a spoiler or not but I'll play it safe) In case you arn't a nerd, that's
Code:
the main villain from what is considered by some one of the best Star Trek movies.

Wasn't really expecting much myself. I didn't like the first film very much but a part of me wanted to believe that after they got the initial success from the first film they would try more than just make "Generic Space Action Film No. 532343" this time. Oh well.

I can see why he wouldn't work as a villain so much in this version given that there's no show to establish the guy nor why he's such a threat or what his beef with Kirk is.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2989 on: May 16, 2013, 01:09:47 PM »

Eh, in ST2 they explained him enough within the movie itself for you to know who he was without watching the show (Besides, he only had one episode in TOS and it honestly even wasn't that great).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 01:15:41 PM by Tooker » Logged
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2990 on: May 18, 2013, 03:13:05 AM »

I am pleased the meme made it into the movie.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2991 on: May 18, 2013, 07:14:02 AM »

The first half logically progresses from what happened in the first movie.

Then it just becomes a giant rehash of previous movies, and it's stupid.

Fucking Lindlehof. Everything he touches turns to shit - Lost, Prometheus, Star Trek.

Someone needs to chop off his fingers so we're spared from his shitty plots.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2992 on: May 18, 2013, 10:58:26 AM »

I am saddened by this
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2993 on: May 19, 2013, 10:18:16 PM »

I am saddened by this

My bf and my bffff both loved it a lot (more than Iron Man) if that helps.  Some movies you might have to just go in for the "entertainment value" than anything.  I'm happy to say for these flicks I know dick about the original series (TNG flicks I'd be more critical of. >:/ ).

I watched Bread and Roses.... for school.  Um, so there's a message and such.  It's a good message in a sort of "rough around the edges movie".  Adrien Brody needs to eat though, the man is too thin.  Despite her age and less than perfect "Hollywood-standard" body, I am totally gay for Elpidia Carrillo.  She is a very pretty woman (I think she was in Predator).
Oh and
https://twitter.com/brodysnose
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 10:23:44 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2994 on: May 19, 2013, 10:43:53 PM »

As a life long trekkie I can admit that the movies have had their fair share of ups and downs. There are some classic movies from the lot, but some crap as well.

I'm just tired of the idea "as long as you don't expect too much you'll love it!" Of course I'll see it, eventually, and I'll reserve full judgement until then. It's just a sad state of sci-fi storytelling when the guy playing Kirk reminds me more of the guy from Workaholics () than the suave, swashbuckling captain he's supposed to be. Plus, how many damn Star Trek movies have to involve the utter or near total wreck of the Enterprise?
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2995 on: May 19, 2013, 11:30:03 PM »

Saw New Trek 2 and more or less came to the same conclusion as everyone else did.

The thing I should say though is that the two halves of the movie should probably be looked at like looking at Star Trek 2 for the first half and Star Trek 3 for the second. Solid for the first half, then diverges into reference fodder for the second half.

As a life long trekkie I can admit that the movies have had their fair share of ups and downs. There are some classic movies from the lot, but some crap as well.

I'm just tired of the idea "as long as you don't expect too much you'll love it!" Of course I'll see it, eventually, and I'll reserve full judgement until then. It's just a sad state of sci-fi storytelling when the guy playing Kirk reminds me more of the guy from Workaholics () than the suave, swashbuckling captain he's supposed to be. Plus, how many damn Star Trek movies have to involve the utter or near total wreck of the Enterprise?

Depends on how much of a wreck 'total wreck' refers to. If you're talking about starting off as a wreck (ST3, ST5 (and ST4 if we're not talking about the Enterprise specifically)), getting shot up a few times (ST6), and/or needing to get deborgged (ST8) then all but The Motion Picture. I think the Star Wrecks don't bother me that much when they come after a series like STs 2,3,&7 did since its like putting down the old busted ship for some new movie hotness. What bugs me though is the recent need to bring out the super space battleships like in every movie since Nemesis ("Remember how your ship is supposedly 'top of the line'. Well say hello to my ship that's like five times better than your dinky PoS in every way and has an ominously awesome sounding name like The Switchblade.").

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2996 on: May 20, 2013, 04:23:33 PM »

Men in Black 3 -
I liked the first movie(like most people) and was mostly baffled by the second. I didn't care at all if another one ever got made, but here it is.
This felt totally unnecessary to me. I was mostly bored and just wanted it to end. WAY too much CG didn't help at all.
The only redeeming factor was Josh Brolins amazing Tommy Lee Jones (or Agent K) impression. That was amusing.
The ending was also pretty good, and oddly touching. Didn't see that coming at all.

Overall, I didn't find this to be a good movie at all, but it's almost worth it for Josn Brolin and the ending. Do what you will.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Syn
Shenanigans

MisterDBarton
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2997 on: May 20, 2013, 10:40:58 PM »

"Safety Not Guaranteed". I was honestly expecting a mediocre indie film and came away extremely entertained. The ending was NOT what I was expecting, but in a good way. That's really all I can say without giving it away. Excellent movie, highly recommended if you have Netflix.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2998 on: May 26, 2013, 09:30:11 PM »

Lawless -
It's so rare to come across a great movie that I'm shocked when I find one. This is not perfect, but it gets so many things right, that it's easy to look over the missteps.
I'll admit that as soon as I saw "based on a true story" my heart sank. I've said in the past how I really, really hate those words. It's just so distracting for me. Fortunately, up until the end, I was able to forget that I was watching a lie.
Everyone is great here, including Shia. It's nice to see him in a "real" role, outside of the crappy Transformers movies. Tom Brady's role is subdued, but he does it so well. Guy Pearce is amazing as the fancy Chicago cop. It's nice to see him in such a cool role.
The only iffy character is Maggie, played by Jessica Chastain. She does well enough, but she has no real purpose outside of being a token female. I wonder if it's even a real character, lor just made up to have a woman in the movie. Sure feels that way.
It ends up being quite a violent tale, with bloody gunfights throughout.
The ending is a bit hard to swallow, and once again, I wonder if it really happened this way. I figure they couldn't fudge that, though, without people squawking, so it must be. Truly bizarre.
I really liked this movie, overall. It had a great atmosphere, good direction, and some great characters. Very much recommended.

Doghouse -
This was a random pick off of IFC On Demand, and both Nan and I loved it. It's not a great film in any way, but it has such a great sense of humor about itself, that it's hard to argue against it.
This is kind of what happens when you combine Evil Dead with Shaun of the Dead. A zombie movie, with plenty of violence and gore, but also plenty of laughs.
Recommended for anyone who enjoyed the above two movies. Just don't expect something as great as those two and you'll be alright.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2999 on: May 28, 2013, 05:16:03 PM »

Just watched "The Prestige". Wow, that device.....I want one.

TASTY!
Pages: 1 ... 198 199 [200] 201 202 ... 252 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: