Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 05:40:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330171 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 255 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 364908 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3405 on: December 08, 2013, 12:25:27 AM »

Cloud Atlas

So glad I finally got around to watching this. What an amazing ride this film was, and I feel like stories like this one are why motion pictures were invented in the first place. Sure, it was based on a book, but I can't imagine the book conveying the themes quite the same way the magic of Hollywood did. I also agree with the critics that say it's criminal that the makeup artists were not given the recognition they deserved. The little montage during the casting part of the credits was almost breathtaking. I loved all the little details, like how in the beginning the movie basically flat out TOLD the audience, "This is going to be a bit confusing, but please stick with us because the payoff is worth it." It's so hard to talk about the movie with people who haven't seen it, but I will say that if you haven't, you're really missing out on one of last year's greats.
*high fives*
Yeah, I really enjoyed Cloud Atlas. The rare movie that I really want to watch again. And even watch the behind-the-scenes stuff, which I never do.
I'm sure the book is good, but I never read a book after watching a movie based on it. You've got to read it first or not at all, IMHO. Otherwise, your mind is filled with what you saw in the movie , as opposed to your own imagination.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3406 on: December 09, 2013, 07:11:22 AM »

Watched Terminator for the first time last night. The movie was alright. I don't have any major complaints about it. Well okay maybe one. It is so freaking 80s at some points.....also I suppose it bugs me that there were all those skulls just randomly lying around in the future....I just don't get why. But those are both very minor complaints. I can certainly see why it is considered so good, but at the same time I was spoiled about the movie's plot probably like a decade ago, so there really was no surprises for me other than the fact that the Cyberdyne scene at the end was cut from the ending (because it is apparently a cut scene that I also spoiled myself to). Overall decent movie, but it lacked the impact that it probably would have had had I been able to see it unspoiled.

Actually one more complaint. The "romance" feels all kinds of weird to me. It borders on Stockholm Syndrome in terms of feeling. I know that isn't an accurate description of what is going on, but it still feels horribly off to me and just barely above being a giant WTF.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3407 on: December 09, 2013, 10:42:48 AM »

I love the first Terminator because it is so damn 80s. I remember having a sleep-over at my cousin's place when I was a kid and we all watched it. I had a damn nightmare :(

The one thing that I like about that movie, that all the other Terminator movies abandon, is that there are more than model of the T-800 (which makes sense). In the future sequence where two Terminators break in and start blowing everyone away they're clearly both different and both NOT ARNOLD. But in all the future movies/games every time you see a T-800 it's Arnold, completely negating the point of having an infiltrator cyborg.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3408 on: December 09, 2013, 04:28:21 PM »

Frozen -

This was a bit more stereotypical and cliche than I was expecting, but still ended up telling a good story. I probably liked it more than someone so critical should have. I don't recall ever reading "The Snow Queen", which is what this is based on, but I have a feeling it's not quite the same as what we see here. I didn't like the totally interjected comic relief snowman, which I just found annoying. I can see kids, and your average movie goer, probably liking it, though. To me, it was just such blatant pandering. The movie would lose nothing if you removed it, which tells me how committee driven it was. At least it doesn't really harm the movie in any way. There are about 6 or 7 songs throughout the ,movie, with most of them being totally forgettable. I did think the "letting go" song was pretty powerful and fit the scene very well. There are not one, but TWO princesses in this movie. Disney is going all out here to create yet another product to sell. I liked the characters, but the design is pretty classic Disney princess, and a tad boring. I especially didn't like Elsas look after she "finds herself" or whatever you want to call it. Way too sexualized and "tall, blonde, and pretty" for me. They even had her swinging the hips all over! Very weird. The movie looks fantastic. It's almost all about ice, snow, and everything cold, and they nail it. I imagine it looks great in 3D. Despite my negatives above, I really did enjoy the movie. The positives definitely outweigh the negatives. I just like to think about movies critically.

Dredd -

I actually found this kind of entertaining. It's not really a good movie, and that is reflected in my score, but for simple action entertainment, it works well.
It's weird because we never once see Karl Urbans face. Or at least nothing above his mouth. He plays the role just fine, and is suitably gruff, and commanding. We mostly get character out of his female trainee, Cassandra.
The movie is a pretty dark take on what could happen in an unchecked world. Or perhaps an overchecked world? Crime is out of control, and the world has gone to hell.
The story is all takes place in one large apartment complex where some nutso lady, with the horrible name of Ma-Ma, has taken charge, and is producing some new drug called slow-mo. The scenes with this are kind of cool, actually, but it's freaky how it's used to torture/kill people.
The is one hell of a violent film. I expected that, of course, but I just don't "enjoy" that as much as I may have a while back.
It's hard to recommend it, but I will anyway, as it entertained me. And sometimes that's all I'm looking for.

Playing:
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3409 on: December 09, 2013, 04:36:20 PM »

Frozen -

This was a bit more stereotypical and cliche than I was expecting, but still ended up telling a good story. I probably liked it more than someone so critical should have. I don't recall ever reading "The Snow Queen", which is what this is based on, but I have a feeling it's not quite the same as what we see here. I didn't like the totally interjected comic relief snowman, which I just found annoying. I can see kids, and your average movie goer, probably liking it, though. To me, it was just such blatant pandering. The movie would lose nothing if you removed it, which tells me how committee driven it was. At least it doesn't really harm the movie in any way. There are about 6 or 7 songs throughout the ,movie, with most of them being totally forgettable. I did think the "letting go" song was pretty powerful and fit the scene very well. There are not one, but TWO princesses in this movie. Disney is going all out here to create yet another product to sell. I liked the characters, but the design is pretty classic Disney princess, and a tad boring. I especially didn't like Elsas look after she "finds herself" or whatever you want to call it. Way too sexualized and "tall, blonde, and pretty" for me. They even had her swinging the hips all over! Very weird. The movie looks fantastic. It's almost all about ice, snow, and everything cold, and they nail it. I imagine it looks great in 3D. Despite my negatives above, I really did enjoy the movie. The positives definitely outweigh the negatives. I just like to think about movies critically.

Dredd -

I actually found this kind of entertaining. It's not really a good movie, and that is reflected in my score, but for simple action entertainment, it works well.
It's weird because we never once see Karl Urbans face. Or at least nothing above his mouth. He plays the role just fine, and is suitably gruff, and commanding. We mostly get character out of his female trainee, Cassandra.
The movie is a pretty dark take on what could happen in an unchecked world. Or perhaps an overchecked world? Crime is out of control, and the world has gone to hell.
The story is all takes place in one large apartment complex where some nutso lady, with the horrible name of Ma-Ma, has taken charge, and is producing some new drug called slow-mo. The scenes with this are kind of cool, actually, but it's freaky how it's used to torture/kill people.
The is one hell of a violent film. I expected that, of course, but I just don't "enjoy" that as much as I may have a while back.
It's hard to recommend it, but I will anyway, as it entertained me. And sometimes that's all I'm looking for.

Where's the score? Do we have to be a premium subscriber?
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3410 on: December 09, 2013, 04:46:01 PM »

Frozen -

Dredd -

Where's the score? Do we have to be a premium subscriber?

Ha! Sorry, I copy my reviews from Flixster, but don't bother with the stars when I post them here. Dredd = 2.5/5 stars.

Playing:
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3411 on: December 09, 2013, 04:58:11 PM »

Frozen -

I'm surprised you'd find it cliche'd given that they subverted the two MAJOR Disney cliche offenders:

Code:
The idea of "true love" wasn't with a fella, but in "sisterly love"... I actually don't think this idea has been captured in Disney films yet, sibling love is surprisingly absent -- so I think it's important to see passed the fact they're princesses even though the idea works so well for little girls and as a plot device...they're really sisters at heart.

Also, the second subverted cliche was the entire concept of "prince charming" since he was actually became the film's villain.

A lot of Elsa's other designs were much more...stereotypical ice-queen (the tall puffy hat, the giant fur coat, the "sexy witch eyes").  So I'm kind of happy they showed her looking more like Anna than as a bitchy older witch sister... and I liked that she was more tormented than owning evil as the film's villain (Lady Tremaine from Cinderella and Maleficent are much more evil for the sake of evil).  Daresay, she's more relatable and modern in a way.  Her dress is a bit "sexy", but I find it pretty stylish, and again, a nice counter to the other ideas they had of puffy hat and coat.

I also get a bit torn when people bring up Disney and their, um, source material.  Because if that was the case Disney classic "The Little Mermaid" would have ended with her heart-broken and turning into SEA-FOAM.  :(
Rapunzel would have also shown her prince getting blinded when he falls into a pit of thorns (though he gets better).
Mulan "played it safe" by using the Huns as villains (but I guess trying to make up for the historically botched Pocahontas).

I'm really ambivalent on Disney songs, I either love 'em or straight-up hate 'em; so I definitely think "Let it Go" was their "movie-moment" song over the others (though I think Olaf's "Summer" song was charming).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 05:03:38 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3412 on: December 09, 2013, 08:13:43 PM »

the Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Not even going to try to explain my feelings on this. I can't even say for sure if I enjoyed it or not. Leaning more on liking it.

I can see some people hating it but I found it interesting. I haven't felt this way about a movie since Oldboy. Not that they are similar movies or anything, just that they left me with that similar feel at the end.

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3413 on: December 09, 2013, 10:22:22 PM »

the Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou

Not even going to try to explain my feelings on this. I can't even say for sure if I enjoyed it or not. Leaning more on liking it.

I can see some people hating it but I found it interesting. I haven't felt this way about a movie since Oldboy. Not that they are similar movies or anything, just that they left me with that similar feel at the end.

I kinda had trouble with my feelings on Life Aquatic, so I asked some movie friends of mine what they thought its deal was.  They said it's a movie about forgiveness then it all just kinda made sense since Zissou is a prick, yet everyone's issues with him kinda receded.  I didn't like it as much at first, but it slowly grew on me, the awkward and straightforward dialogue really began to hit home with me.

With respect to Wes Anderson though, I actually didn't like The Fantastic Mr Fox and his latest that much.  They're still good, but not his best.

Anyways, it also emphasized a very important film revelation:  You can kill any character, but if a dog is killed (or in this case, abandoned) it will be the saddest thing to ever happen in that particular movie. 
Godspeed Cody, godspeed.

Seen a few on my end...

Man of Steel:
Okay, I just HAVE to get these two points off right away: (1) The prologue is way too long and kinda full of itself (the fact people are discussing their due process or whatever the fuck when Krypton is moments from imploding is bonkers).  And (2) those sealing pods that Zod and friends were sealed in were seriously penises.  I mean, c'mon, was there NO other design choice that they thought the dick-looking one worked best?

Serious.  Dick.

It's ok otherwise.  I love the effects, and I think Zak Snyder is the KING of realistic effects/action (the fight Superman has with the other super-people was pretty damn impressive).  But some of the pacing was completely whack or just a bad fit (why Clark's dad had to die was seriously dumb because, I guess, he wanted Clark to downplay his super powers.... but it's completely juxtaposed by Clark's biological-Superdad telling his son -- through what is the world's most impressive hologram -- to go crazy and play pseudo-Jesus to the people of Earth).

It's sloppy, but (as Grim pointed out in his review as a relevant factor) it's simply entertaining.  So turn off your brain, sit back, and enjoy!

Tootsie!
I love this film.  I do like the numerous jokes to Dustin Hoffman simply being a really ugly woman while he's trying to pass off being a real woman; and Bill Murray's improve is a nice added touch.  I always love party scenes in movies (from Citizen Kane, to Breakfast at Tiffany's, to the outrageous shit that goes down in Get Him to the Greek).  Anyways, fun film, some really, really hokey 80's elements, and one of the best "reveal scenes" ever make it a great watch.

Flipped
This turned out to be a really charming drama with an effective gimmick.  Two 8th graders swap their telling of the story for key plot moments while they slowly switch their feelings for one another in what tries to be a tale about "puppy love".  I've always loved the idea that every story has two sides to it, and certainly this movie epitomizes that prospect.  I also love the hell out of John Mahoney (best known-as Martin Crane on Frasier).

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: December 09, 2013, 10:50:05 PM »

I don't have time to hunt it down right now, but there's an interview with Dustin Hoffman where he talks about how doing Tootsie really affected the way he thought about women.  It started when he first got the makeup and wardrobe on, and he saw himself in the mirror and was really sad, because he had thought he'd be a better-looking woman than that.  And then, if I remember correctly, he was upset because being attractive was the first thing he thought of as important.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3415 on: December 09, 2013, 11:32:16 PM »

Frozen -

I'm surprised you'd find it cliche'd given that they subverted the two MAJOR Disney cliche offenders:

Code:
The idea of "true love" wasn't with a fella, but in "sisterly love"... I actually don't think this idea has been captured in Disney films yet, sibling love is surprisingly absent -- so I think it's important to see passed the fact they're princesses even though the idea works so well for little girls and as a plot device...they're really sisters at heart.

Also, the second subverted cliche was the entire concept of "prince charming" since he was actually became the film's villain.

A lot of Elsa's other designs were much more...stereotypical ice-queen (the tall puffy hat, the giant fur coat, the "sexy witch eyes").  So I'm kind of happy they showed her looking more like Anna than as a bitchy older witch sister... and I liked that she was more tormented than owning evil as the film's villain (Lady Tremaine from Cinderella and Maleficent are much more evil for the sake of evil).  Daresay, she's more relatable and modern in a way.  Her dress is a bit "sexy", but I find it pretty stylish, and again, a nice counter to the other ideas they had of puffy hat and coat.

I also get a bit torn when people bring up Disney and their, um, source material.  Because if that was the case Disney classic "The Little Mermaid" would have ended with her heart-broken and turning into SEA-FOAM.  :(
Rapunzel would have also shown her prince getting blinded when he falls into a pit of thorns (though he gets better).
Mulan "played it safe" by using the Huns as villains (but I guess trying to make up for the historically botched Pocahontas).

I'm really ambivalent on Disney songs, I either love 'em or straight-up hate 'em; so I definitely think "Let it Go" was their "movie-moment" song over the others (though I think Olaf's "Summer" song was charming).

I take it you REALLY liked the movie? ;-)
Just having the main females being princesses is cliche and tired. I was hopeful for Brave when that was coming out, then SHE was a damn princess, too!
spoilery stuff:
Code:
I agree that the sisterly love thing was great, but the movie was kind of building up to something different. Like that awful song between Anna and whatisname towards the beginning.
I definitely liked Elsas story over Annas because it wasn't about her finding a man. It was about her finding herSELF. That was definitely refreshing.
Unfortunately, there was still a lot of lovey dovey content in the movie, though.

You didn't think the crazy swinging hips were a bit overdoing it? I just found it odd.
My main point of bringing up The Snow Queen was in regards to that abysmal snowman. I really haven't read much of what any of their movies are based on, so i have no room to comment.

Playing:
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3416 on: December 10, 2013, 12:01:59 AM »

I liked Frozen a lot, yeah, but I kinda wanted to 'bump in' what I didn't hear in your commentary, that's all (before you read on, my post ins't to criticise, but hopefully to compliment yours).

I'm kind of torn on the princess idea.  On one hand, yeah it's overused.  But I suppose you can look at it the other way around these days, it certainly feels like the big blockbusters for boys these days are superhero flicks than any other type of action flick (it certainly works that they're usually more family-friendly than how a lot of other action heroes were in the past, I suppose).  It's also hard to deny that the "Princess" theme was simply used in a lot of the source material they're pulling from (they'll run out eventually?!)

On the other hand, it worked itself in as an effective plot device for how Hans fits into the story and the big issue with Elsa becoming a queen.  Anna was kinda whatever about it, she just wanted a friend.  Certainly the whole "royalty" adjunct makes telling a story easier sometimes (you need a lot less permission to do things).  I also think that it's like that "story-telling peak" that games similarly pose a "save the world" plot (it's just "height" and "grand-ness" to saving/being royalty, or that most honourable and courageous task of saving the world that works well for entertainment purposes).

But yeah, I don't deny that princesses are over-used...But if it works, it works, and I thought their bond as sisters out-weighed their role as royalty.
(Oh, quickly, while Brave isn't my least favorite Pixar film, it's certainly one that let me down the most).

And truthfully I didn't notice any hip-swaying till you brought it up!  If anything, I found Lion King's romance more suggestive because of the eye-fucking Nala pulls during her and Simba's "romance" song. x)
Meg from Hercules had body proportions that would make even Barbie jealous.  And even though it was riddled in a somewhat abstract song, Frollo's song in The Hunchback of Notre Dame was probably the most suggestive Disney came to sexual themes (literally about his 'firey passion' and lust for Esmerelda).
I think it's more of a 'grazing' of suggestive themes that Disney pulls than anything explicit.

If I see the film again, then I'll get back to you on it -- because now you've got me curious.

I don't have time to hunt it down right now, but there's an interview with Dustin Hoffman where he talks about how doing Tootsie really affected the way he thought about women.  It started when he first got the makeup and wardrobe on, and he saw himself in the mirror and was really sad, because he had thought he'd be a better-looking woman than that.  And then, if I remember correctly, he was upset because being attractive was the first thing he thought of as important.

I'd love to see that.  Nevertheless, for all intents and purposes, I'm surprised with how well Hoffman does.  His voice is almost the polar opposite of feminine and his face has features you can only find on a sort-of "rugged-looking" fella.  I thought it worked even though he looked and sounded like a middle-aged teacher.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 12:04:35 AM by Dice » Logged

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3417 on: December 10, 2013, 07:17:39 AM »

Watched Terminator 2 last night. Great movie. Worked better for me than Terminator 1 despite fully knowing the plot for both. Really can't think of any specific points to mention.
unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3418 on: December 10, 2013, 09:39:32 AM »

You didn't think the crazy swinging hips were a bit overdoing it? I just found it odd.
My main point of bringing up The Snow Queen was in regards to that abysmal snowman. I really haven't read much of what any of their movies are based on, so i have no room to comment.

I haven't seen the movie yet (it still hasn't released in these uncivilized parts of the world), but your discussion has made me more hyped. Based on Dice's description it sounds like the kind of movies I want Disney to go back to making.

Regarding the hip-swinging, I would assume that is mostely due to the change from flat to high heels that occurs during the let it go song segment (judging from the youtub clip). Either way, the way sexuality is handled in Disney movies is pretty damn subtle and tasteful, compared to most other popular media, in my opinion.

Regarding the source material accuracy, you are completely right in that it doesn't contain a personified snowman. But like Dice mentioned, I don't really think a faithful rendition of any of H. C. Andersons works would really work as a product marketed towards kids.
One of his other classic tales (The Red Shoes) has a little girl forced to dance and never rest, because she dared to have materialistic and impure desires of red shoes during mass. Fortunately a nice angel comes along and chops of her legs after she has a change of heart and after that day she was the most pious little girl in the world, though her legs keep dancing around the church so as to warn others.
The snow queen by contrast is a bit less preachy and insufferably Christian, but the main set-up is basically that a troll/devil breaks a mirror that causes people hurt by the broken shards to become very 'cynical' and only see the ugly aspects of the world. The story ends with the quote 'Unless you become as little children, you cannot enter the Kingdom of God'. So it is still at heart a lot more religious in its message than what I would expect Disney to go along with. I do not even expect that they would focus on the whole "beauty of childish wonder and innocence" aspect. I really like his works, but I really don't think a faithful adaptation would be suited for the Disney format.

I kind of like the way they don’t feel chained by the source material. The stuff they did with treasure island/planet showed a lot of creativity, and the fact that the adapted stuff like the Hunchback of Notre Dame is pretty original and ambitious as far as productions primarily for children goes.

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3419 on: December 10, 2013, 02:32:33 PM »

Frozen

Really liked this movie and probably enjoyed it as much as Tangled and Brave. I do agree with grim on the snowman though. Sven the reindeer was great but  Olaf just reminded me of Mort the annoying ginger from family guy. I also liked the little nod to arrested development near the beginning.

I didn't mind the whole princess thing mainly because she was a princess all the way through and didn't just discover it at the end. Brave was similar I suppose but Merida felt more like a chiefs daughter than a princess.

Code:
Wasn't expecting Hans betrayal even though it was obvious Kristoff was "the one". I didn't expect the kiss to work but thought they would have pulled some Disney shenanigans and suggested Elsa and Hans hook up after the end of the movie. Glad they went the way they did.

Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 255 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: