Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 07:05:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334676 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 258 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 375696 times)
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3555 on: February 22, 2014, 06:25:38 PM »

But man, that shot of a sword in space (obviously stronger than any other arsenal including guns, cannons, or death rays) made it worth it.

Didn't make it worth it for me, but if the whole movie was like that scene then it would great.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3556 on: February 22, 2014, 09:04:14 PM »

I enjoyed Pacific Rim myself.  I especially liked the music. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3557 on: February 22, 2014, 09:17:23 PM »

Pacific Rim

If there was anything to gain from it, it's proof that giant robots and monsters can be boring.

Definitely thought this movie was overrated like you. It was ok, but I found it too long and boring as well.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3558 on: February 22, 2014, 10:34:49 PM »

Pacific Rim

If there was anything to gain from it, it's proof that giant robots and monsters can be boring.

Definitely thought this movie was overrated like you. It was ok, but I found it too long and boring as well.

I agree, but I'm thinking the budget for an *all* robot movie would be pretty high...  As is, it was at about the 200m mark to make (I actually wonder how a giant robot film did in Japan; iirc the film did better overseas).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3559 on: February 23, 2014, 08:49:13 AM »

Call me crazy, but I prefer either fast-paced or suspenseful action.
I generally prefer fast paced hyper-kinetic action myself. That doesn't change the fact that Pacific Rim did "realistic" giant robot combat perfectly, at least as far as I am concerned.

Pacific Rim

I find it interesting that you think it was overrated when it basically bombed in the U.S. If I remember right, it didn't even make its budget back in the U.S.
I agree, but I'm thinking the budget for an *all* robot movie would be pretty high...  As is, it was at about the 200m mark to make (I actually wonder how a giant robot film did in Japan; iirc the film did better overseas).
Sadly it didn't do too well in Japan. I am really curious as to what the advertising was like Japan because the movie did better in Mexico than Japan. China was oddly the best market for Pacific Rim getting 10 million more in gross than in the U.S.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3560 on: February 23, 2014, 11:44:51 AM »

Overrated in the sense that it got pretty solid reviews from critics and every person I talked to said it was amazing.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3561 on: February 23, 2014, 11:34:54 PM »

Considering how hard it is to make a decent monster movie, Pacific Rim knocked it out of the park. Of course, they couldn't just do 2 hours of monster battles, as the budget would have tripled. As is, the characters were all genre cliches, except for Mako, and that was pretty much what I expected. Del Toro is a huge old monster movie fan, and simply wanted to make his version, but with modern tech. I feel he succeeded, but understand why some people may have a problem with what he made.
I liked the music, too, Din, and bought the ST. It fit the movie perfectly.
The sword moment was amazing, and had me geeking out big time! Loved it.
This was a total bonding movie between me and my son.

The Place Beyond the Pines -

I found this movie very strange. It started out rather interesting, with Ryan Gosling in a pretty good role. Then about halfway through it switches gears and becomes something else. It was an odd transition that took me a while to get into. Like I was suddenly watching another movie. Eventually, the two parts come together, but only because of ridiculous only-in-the-movies coincidences. I couldn't stand either of the two main children, so all their scenes really bothered.me. It seemed to me that the director thought he was making some important interconnected masterpiece, when in reality it's totally disjointed, and full of horrible contrivances, which resulted in me caring about none of these characters.

I watched Skyfall tonight. Review forthcoming.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3562 on: February 24, 2014, 12:05:26 AM »

Do people really like Pacific Rim that much?  Maybe it's because I watched it during the same time I was playing The Wonderful 101, but PR just seemed to have no heart to it.  Some of the designs were cool, but the battles didn't utilize any of that creativity.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3563 on: February 24, 2014, 12:22:01 AM »

Aww. :')

Do people really like Pacific Rim that much?  Maybe it's because I watched it during the same time I was playing The Wonderful 101, but PR just seemed to have no heart to it.  Some of the designs were cool, but the battles didn't utilize any of that creativity.

Action.  Giant Robots.  It's a "win-win" scenario I think.  It's not going to be everyone's jam, but it gets something people like and the effects pull it off well.  I agree it's flawed, but I also like shutting off my mind and enjoying a flick.  I haven't rewatched/bought the film since but I did enjoy what I saw of it.  Plus, it's nice to see sci-fi/action that ISN'T a superhero flick (which seems to have otherwise replaced all other types of action flicks for the most part besides the "80s revival" going on with 'The Expendables' series).

Ah well, maybe you'll like this: http://youtu.be/V10KeJgjgCw

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Elegance

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3564 on: February 24, 2014, 12:33:50 AM »

Aww. :')

Action.  Giant Robots.  It's a "win-win" scenario I think.  It's not going to be everyone's jam, but it gets something people like and the effects pull it off well.  I agree it's flawed, but I also like shutting off my mind and enjoying a flick.  I haven't rewatched/bought the film since but I did enjoy what I saw of it.  Plus, it's nice to see sci-fi/action that ISN'T a superhero flick (which seems to have otherwise replaced all other types of action flicks for the most part besides the "80s revival" going on with 'The Expendables' series).

Ah well, maybe you'll like this: http://youtu.be/V10KeJgjgCw
Most of that video points out problems in the logic of the film and its non-action scenes.  I'm fine with all of that.  I have no problem turning my brain off and enjoying giant things fighting and blowing up, but I just found PR to be dissatisfying in that sense.  It seemed to be in between over the top and serious, which overall felt mediocre.  I would have preferred it to go all the way on one end or the other, but that's just me.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3565 on: February 24, 2014, 01:17:36 AM »

I actually agree with you, Elegance.  I thought Pacific Rim was pretty bad to be honest.  It felt to me like they were just going through the motions, ripping stuff off without any clear sense of why they were doing it.  And there was zero chemistry between the characters in the film, the whole thing just left me feeling icky.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3566 on: February 24, 2014, 07:08:26 AM »

Honestly it is my favorite movie of all time. I was grinning wider than I can ever really recall grinning throughout basically the entire movie. As for the movie having no heart, I really didn't see that. To me the movie did its action scenes perfectly because Del Toro understood what the....point of giant robot fights is. No two fights in the movie are exactly alike, which is sort of the point. Giant robots should be adaptable and should be altering how they approach the situation because they aren't just limited to a single task. Gypsy Danger improvises constantly in the movie making the fights interesting. I mean come on, a freaking ship as a staff. I don't get how you can think the movie was lacking heart.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3567 on: February 26, 2014, 02:45:06 AM »

Kon-tiki:  Damn some people sure go to great lengths for something they believe in.  I applaud the real men the film was based on.  It's streaming on Netflix, so check it out.

Carrie -  I saw the original decades ago so my memory is foggy.  I still think Sissy did a better portrayal of Carrie in that she had a vulnerability about her.  Perhaps it was because I've seen Kick Ass that I didn't really get the fragility of Carrie in the new version.  That said, the movie was better than I thought it would be.  Julianne Moore did a great job as the crazy mom. 

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3568 on: February 26, 2014, 03:00:34 AM »

I love the original Carrie, it's such a solid movie. Sissy was better because she was, I guess, uglier? Plainer at least. She looked like a girl that everyone would make fun of and treat like shit every day of her life.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3569 on: February 26, 2014, 03:05:49 AM »

My bf said the same thing.  Chloe is too cute.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 03:07:20 AM by CluelessWonder » Logged

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Pages: 1 ... 236 237 [238] 239 240 ... 258 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: