Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 02:13:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334822 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 258 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 378017 times)
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3600 on: March 13, 2014, 03:06:33 AM »

Old Boy -  Just watched the American version and it wasn't as good as the Korean one.  I don't know  if it is because I know the truth and didn't have the surprise shock factor I did the first time round.  I must say that changing the ending to one of him seeking redemption/penance didn't make an impact that the original had.  Rarely do movies make me feel shock, horror and disgust like the original ending did.  What a great movie. 

I also didn't care for the fight scene in the American version.  I know it was a nod to the original but it seemed sloppy and unbelievable.  It's been a long time since I've seen the original so the fight scene there could have been the same. 
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 03:34:24 AM by CluelessWonder » Logged

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3601 on: March 15, 2014, 12:46:43 AM »

Ugh. The new Old Boy was weak next to the original.  Not awful but..
Also, Gravity. Impactful and hugely entertaining for sure but a bit far fetched if you are into factual space shit. Kinda how I felt about The Grey. Maybe I nitpick too much.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3602 on: March 17, 2014, 01:52:29 PM »

Just finished the new Oldboy as well. Original is definitely better. Did not like Josh Brolin very much in this movie and I'm a fan of his acting normally. I think he was miscast. The direction by Spike Lee was all over the place too. That fight scene was awful. I watched the bad guys and they were literally standing there swinging at nothing the entire time. Now the Olsen girl was pretty good, but Copley was just weird. It was ok I guess, but definitely did not have the impact of the original.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3603 on: March 17, 2014, 02:59:10 PM »

Ok so Marvel is obsessed with Avengers and The 'BIG' characters. Fair enough but keep it fresh and expand the universe. Im anxiously awaiting Days of Future Past but I want to see a Silver Surfer origins movie. Am I alone here? Maybe the FF reboot will remedy this:/
It isn't so much that Marvel is obsessed with the 'BIG' characters, at least when it comes to X-Men, FF, and Spiderman. Those three are licensed out to 20th Century Fox, and they have to keep making new movies focused on those properties every so many years or they'll lose the license. Frankly it is entirely possible that a Silver Surfer movie wouldn't meet the license requirements. Heck their license might not even extend to a Silver Surfer origin movie.

Belatedly getting back to this, the other problem that those series have had to deal with are the actors getting older and finding new work elsewhere. For instance, the guy who played The Human Torch in the Fantastic Four movies is now the guy playing Captain America, which means that they have to find replacements for the characters they no longer have the actors for like they did with Spiderman.

That, and X-Men kinda screwed itself by killing off half of the main cast in the third movie (and comic book based movie continuities don't really bring characters back from the dead like comic books do on a regular basis without having to reboot the whole damn thing).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3604 on: March 18, 2014, 12:24:27 AM »

Finally watched The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

I liked it!  I can't remember the book for the life of me, and what I remember was the spark notes summary of what happened in the movie -- so I can't vouch or get pissy with book-to-film inconsistencies.

I kinda like the premise a bit better than the Lord of the Rings, mainly because it's a bit more 'down to earth' and less expansive than the LotR.  What I mean is, I like that this is a story about 12(?) dwarves, a hobbit, and a wizard travelling to reclaim glory than a story of full-scale war and destruction with a dark lord and the numerous power struggles therein.

That, and I think the whole of LotR is wonderful for successfully and gracefully delivering high-budget fantasy whereas the 90s was basically void of it, and the 80s had a lot of weird fantasies with puppets.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3605 on: March 19, 2014, 12:20:10 AM »

I watched the Bench Warmers for the first time today. It was funny, even if it seemed like Napoleon Dynamite part 2 with Jon Hederer essentially being another Napoleon Dynamite character. Not a great movie, but it made me laugh and kept me entertained.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3606 on: March 19, 2014, 11:53:01 PM »

Rush - For some reason I have an aversion to movies set in the 70s.  Though this is set in said decade, I enjoyed the movie very much.  Perhaps it was because Chris Hemsworth was on screen or that most of the time the actors were in fire suits thus saving me from the horrible fashion.  Anyways I had no knowledge of the events in which this movie was based on.  After looking up the real story I have to say I was impressed with the casting.  The actor playing Lauda was really good and the racing scenes were riveting.  I'd totally recommend this movie.

Currently Reading: 

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3607 on: March 21, 2014, 06:52:43 AM »

Watched Frozen last night. I enjoyed it. Liked how they touched upon the whole "true love" trope. They managed to time most of the comic relief's scenes perfectly (cutting off from him right before he got annoying). Liked the characters, liked the majority of the music, and I thought it was a very enjoyable film overall.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3608 on: March 23, 2014, 12:53:00 AM »

Anchorman 2. It was good but a bit too silly at times. Brick was a bit " too dumb to be alive" for example.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3609 on: March 23, 2014, 01:04:19 AM »

Anchorman 2. It was good but a bit too silly at times. Brick was a bit " too dumb to be alive" for example.

I basically came for just the big "news anchor war" and I wasn't disappointed.  Otherwise yeah, it's dumb as hell.

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug!
= Smaug was brilliant to watch and look at.  Well done team!  Well done Cumberbatch!  He was a convincing and a wonderful looking dragon!  However...

= ...a lot of the other CGI wasn't too hot.  Specifically action scenes.  I mean, it's one thing when you got orcs entirely made of computers, at least we know it's not real and we can suspend some disbelief there.  But I *hate* when animators make a "stunt double" for the real-people actors -- they usually look awful and almost (funny enough) 'putty-like'.

= I dug them sticking Evangeline Lily in there.  She's nice to look at, for one.  Second, I also like any ass-kicking female.  But finally, even if it was hokey and cheesy, the pseudo-romance C-plot gave just that much more substance I guess.  I mean, 2.5 hours is a lot of time to fill for just the main plot on its own (and given the source material is based on just one book stretched to 3 movies).

= There's certainly more action in this one.  I can only imagine the sets for the film....that is it say, I wonder how much of it was even real given how CG-heavy this flick was.

= Holy fuck, does Smaug have all of Middle Earth's national deficit!?!?  Like, I can't even imagine what the economy of their world is like right now because a dragon is literally sitting on top of most of it.

= I honestly don't think there's anyone else alive right now who could or should play Gandalf.  Ian McKellen sells it perfectly.

= I'm not sure how The Hobbit series stands against LotR, I find them pretty different for a great comparison.  But again, I dig the somewhat 'less serious' tone, and it's nice having a lengthy prologue to the main LotR series.  Anyways, it works for me, I can't remember the books anymore and I can't say I'm going to find the time to re-read them in the near future without just a film-rewatch being infinitely more accessible.  Like the Harry Potter films, so far all of these adaptions have been *at least* "pretty good" to "amazing" (for me.... I'm sure novel enthusiasts are likely to disagree).

= The Stephen Colbert cameo is honestly one of my favorite cameos forever now (even beating out the even more random cameo by Dustin Hoffman in The Holiday).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:05:31 AM by Dice » Logged

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3610 on: March 23, 2014, 02:39:07 AM »

Dice, your whole post is awesome, accurate, and hilarious.

I had a couple of friends over tonight and we watched Robin Hood: Men In Tights. It's not my favorite Mel Brooks movie, but I appreciate that it isn't as ADHD as many of his others. I'd forgotten that Mel is a rabbi in this movie, and the circumcision scene is still awesome.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3611 on: March 23, 2014, 07:59:02 PM »

Robin Hood: Men In Tights. It's not my favorite Mel Brooks movie, but I appreciate that it isn't as ADHD as many of his others. I'd forgotten that Mel is a rabbi in this movie, and the circumcision scene is still awesome.

I think Blazing Saddles takes for my favorite of Brooks' films.  And obviously a few key moments in Space Balls

CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3612 on: March 24, 2014, 05:30:17 AM »

Nebraska. - Tried watching it but lost interest.  Cranky old men and nagging old women are not my thing.  It had some funny moments but not enough to keep my interest.

Currently Reading: 

ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3613 on: March 24, 2014, 01:49:59 PM »

Watched the Veronica Mars movie, I was a big fan of the series, and the movie seems like a nice topper. It's like one big episode, without the restrictions of TV standards, which is fine. Some of the characters seemed like throw ins, but all in all, it didn't lose the vibe of the old series.

It has some unresolved plot points, probably for a set up for the next film, but I thought the underlying theme fit of the movie fit in well with the rest of the series.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3614 on: March 26, 2014, 11:46:31 PM »

Dice, Jimmy, and whoever: I've only found the Hobbit movies entertaining on the surface. As soon as you start thinking about them, they completely fall apart. I actually thought the second was worse than the first. My review is in here somewhere, so I'm not re-treading it all. Too long, too much CG, too many bad action scenes, superhuman(elven) Legolas and Elf lady, and much more.

Drinking Buddies -
While the title makes complete sense, it doesn't get you in the right mind set for what this movie turns out to be. It is NOT a rom-com. Yes, it looks like one, but it plays out nothing like what we all think of as the stereotypical (crappy) romantic comedy. This is actually GOOD. Really good. This is a drama about relationships and life. And drinking beer. A LOT of beer. Honestly, that part kind of bothered me, as so much alcohol is consumed in this movie, it's ridiculous. I let it slide due to the movie completely circumventing tired cliches, and actually being realistic in it's depictions of people in troubled relationships. A nice surprise.

Nebraska -
A quiet drama about a crazy old dude who gets one of those stupid sweepstakes packets in the mail, and thinks he's won millions. The movie is basically about the trip, and his eccentricities. It's slow, and can get a little boring at times, but seems to be aware of this. Little bits of humor are interjected throughout, and the movie is about a lot more than a silly roadtrip. I did find the old dude annoying, but I guess that was the point. Not a bad movie, but I don't think I could recommend it to your average movie goer.

Prisoners -
This is a pretty intense film. We have some great actors doing some fine work in a drama about kidnapped little girls, and how it affects people. It's probably a half hour too long, and spends far too much time on Hugh Jackmans character being angry, and acting like an idiot. It's pretty obvious from the start where it's all headed, but I still enjoyed the story, as dark as it was.

Inside Llewyn Davis -
A pretty good story here. although a bit slow. I had heard amazing things about this movie, and was, admittedly, let down. It's not bad, by any means, but was not the powerful, moving, experience I was hoping for. Oscar Isaac is pretty great as Llewyn Davis. He sings great, too. The movie never really goes anywhere, though, which I guess is the whole point. It's a more realistic, non-Hollywoodized, story of a musician trying to make it. No perfect, million dollar, ending here.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Pages: 1 ... 239 240 [241] 242 243 ... 258 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: