Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 07:57:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341140 Posts in 13943 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 266 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 394063 times)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3765 on: July 11, 2014, 11:53:20 PM »

After we got done with band practice, we watched "We're the Millers."  It was hilarious, if a bit choppy.  Will Poulter played the dorky kid really well, so now I actually want to see Maze Runner to see him play the bully. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 08:16:42 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3766 on: July 12, 2014, 10:41:07 AM »

Watched Captain Phillips this week. Excellent movie, and kudos to the director for having a tone in mind and sticking with it for the full length of the movie. Fantastic performances from everyone involved, engaging script that kept me on the edge of my seat, this movie had the full package. Really the best part of the movie was that the the Somalians were "antagonists" as opposed to full on villains.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: July 27, 2014, 02:05:07 AM »

Lars and the Real Girl: surprisingly good.  I didn't realize Ryan Gosling was the main character.  He did a really good job, though.  For those who don't know the movie, he plays a weird loner guy who one day introduces everyone to his new girlfriend... a Real Doll sex doll.  You'd think it'd be stupid or just there to make fun of the weirdo or something, but it's actually pretty touching.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3768 on: July 29, 2014, 04:35:54 PM »

Yeah, I was surprised at how good that movie was, too, Took. Gosling was really good in it.

I've watched a lot of movies over the past month or so, but haven't written reviews for them due to being worn out, and just not feeling up to it. I hope to return to my review writing when work stops trying to give me a heart attack.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: Mistbron#3: Hero of Ages
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3769 on: July 29, 2014, 04:41:55 PM »

Anyone see Snowpiercer? That seems to be getting shafted with a minimal release
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3770 on: July 29, 2014, 05:08:50 PM »

Anyone see Snowpiercer? That seems to be getting shafted with a minimal release

Yes! I somehow convinced my wife to go see it. Pretty darn good movie, with a few flaws I can't go into for fear of spoilers.
Summary:
-Story has been told a million times before, but it's still told well
-Decent action, but very violent
-Chris Evans is great

I DO recommend it. You'd probably like it. Sadly, there are very few show times for it, despite it being a better movie than a lot of the junk playing in 3000 screens. The movie industry baffles the hell out of me.

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3771 on: July 30, 2014, 02:38:15 PM »

I want to see Snowpiercer as well. RT has it at a 94% and I love sci-fi. I haven't been posting my reviews on here lately, but I watched Under the Skin last week. WATCH IT. Fantastic movie. Gave me the chills.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3772 on: August 01, 2014, 08:52:15 PM »

Double Feature with my Dad and Sister, we got out of the cinema at 1:30 am.

Guardians of the Galaxy: Very funny movie in parts, even if I'm not into the whole Marvel movie line of films, I liked this one for being a bit different. I can't say I thought a great deal about the plot or the villians, it was pretty by the books for a superhero/sci fi flick. Karen Gillian was good as Blue Woman (Nebula, I think?), but I found the main bad guy a bit shrug worthy. They didn't expand upon his culture or his home planet enough so he ended up seeming to me as a bit of a stock villian. Porbably more detail in the comic books, but I'm not a big comic book reader. I didn't like the shoehorned romance between Handsome Lead Character and Only Female On The Team. There was no need for it. All in all, I enjoyed it but i doubt I'll see it again.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes: This movie was AMAZING. Maybe one of the best movie's ive seen in the last 5 years? It must be hard to give apes individual personalities, but they managed it.  As awesome as Ceaser is, I think Maurice is the best character in it. I dunno why, I just love him. The human characters were great too, I really got the feeling that this was the last of humanity, trying desperately to get a little of their world back. I won't say any more, but I just thought this was a perfect film. Also my sister was crying for at least half of the ENTIRE movie. She got very invested in it XD

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3773 on: August 01, 2014, 08:54:25 PM »

I saw Snowpiercer here in korea. I enjoyed it and thought it was really interesting.
It's definitely something different.

Saw GOTG last night. I agree with StarlordMongoose.
It was a fun movie but was not the best movie Marvel has done.
I enjoyed it though and it has a couple of cool cameos.

Code:
Howard the Duck!!!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 08:58:33 PM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3774 on: August 01, 2014, 11:50:41 PM »

I can't wait to see Guardians if only for two reasons: Chris Pratt and also that it seems this movie is slightly more cheeky (from what I hear).  This kinda got a bit predictable with the "honourable beginnings".

Anywho.

Snowpiercer

= 5 "holy fucks" out of 5.

= Honestly, I love how they play with the idea and really own it.  The theme works, the reflection of social class is uniquely told, and the characters are brilliantly cast.  The 'sprinkled in oddities' (like Paul left to his own devices, or Allison Pill as vivacious and slightly crazy teacher) are a truly welcome and wonderful diversion too.

= It's also extremely unique with respect to its fight sequences.  There aren't that many (the film is busy filling up its time in many other ways, whether its 'exploring cabins', chatting, and so forth) but it is a spectacle.... ARGH, I wanna say a lot but I can't! 

= The build-up to the conclusion is perfect in a "Sherlock-y" way
Code:
That camera panned to some specific "nothing" outside?  You bet it's important for the end mystery!!!

= The cinematography is also sure to light your mind up!
Code:
I really love how Nam stops Curtis' speech to look at not what's behind him, but what's beside him...beauty-full

= Even if not the best movie ever made, it is *easily* one of the most unique and is most certainly unforgettable.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3775 on: August 02, 2014, 12:18:08 AM »

Bullshit day at my shitty job. Add liquor + Office Space. Happy till morning.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3776 on: August 02, 2014, 09:55:16 PM »

Guardians of the Galaxy -

A very entertaining movie with a few issues that keep it from being GREAT. The movie almost feels TOO packed, as if they jammed a trilogy's worth of activity into a single movie. Everything just goes by too fast. Like how Gomora, bad ass green lady that she is, goes from evil thief/assassin to loving companion in a matter of 10 minutes or so. It just felt too forced. Chris Pratt made a perfectly likeable hero, but lacks that charisma needed to be a star. Basically, comparing him to any of the Avengers makes you realize how weak of a character he is. Hopefully, the inevitable sequel will flesh him, and everyone else, out a bit. I'm being too negative. It's definitely a FUN movie. It looks fantastic, and has a ton of great scenes. I did find the 80's music a bit intrusive, though. Some would probably disagree on that. After credits scene is stupid, IMHO, and not worth waiting for.

Note: agreed totally with Star as well. Shoehorned romances suck.
edit: Karen gillan was in this? She was the blue sister? Wow. I didn't even know.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3777 on: August 03, 2014, 08:22:16 PM »

Dallas Buyers Club. Great movie.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3778 on: August 04, 2014, 01:10:45 AM »

Guardians of the Galaxy

= Entertaining as hell.  Certainly Quill just dancing the opening sets a good tone.

= As much as I adore Chris Pratt, I agree, I think he needs another title to really flesh him out.

= I'm really glad they went for a more light-hearted and cheeky presentation.  I find the Marvel universe can sometimes take itself too seriously, so I think this was a really welcome change of pace and the humour was well done.

= Speaking of pace, what a waste of Lee Pace.  The villain was a bore.  The little hologram about what the infinity gem does was more exciting than his end-game.  I felt like there should have been a lot more dialogue between Gamora and Nebula too; that felt somewhat unsatisfying.

= Rocket and Groot were wonderful.  But my surprise favourite was Drax.  

= I didn't mind the romance; mainly because (a) Quill is played to be a player and (2) they...didn't kiss did they?  Just exchanged eye flutters.

= I bet the people who made the cool contact lenses for this film made some serious bank.  I'm sure it was a three way tie for those who had their natural god-given eye color, those who had the funky coloured contacts, and who was never real in the first place (i.e. CGI).

= On that note, the makeup in this film was (pun not intended) out of this world.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 02:35:13 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3779 on: August 05, 2014, 12:40:15 AM »

I fucking loved the beginning with him dancing and singing into the space rat as if it were a mic.

I agree with everything being said except that I loved the way the villain died. Pratt's line delivery there is awesome.

My favorite is when John C Reily is reading Pratt's email and says "i'm 100% not a dick" I laughed but some guy in the front of the theater lost it and I loved that.
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 266 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: