Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back

EmeraldSword

• View Profile
Re: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« Reply #4155 on: April 14, 2015, 02:23:08 PM »
Watched a ton of movies on my flight to and from South Korea recently. A few brief highlights:

Fury
Holy moley wasn't expecting the movie to be as graphic as it was. But ya.. WWII and tanks bad stuff is going to happen. I didn't like the Logan Lerman's character, Norman Ellison, at first but towards the end of the movie, the kid was a freaking war machine.

The Theory of Everything
So many feels with this movie. Amazing how some of the movie lines could be so short at times, but deeply profound.

The Imitation Game
Alan Turing... an instrumental figure in the creation of the modern day computer. Benedict did a fantastic job as well. He certainly has the acting chops of an A-list actor. One of favorite lines that didn't have anything to do with cryptography, but still awesome was this one:

"Alan Turing: Do you know why people like violence? It is because it feels good. Humans find violence deeply satisfying. But remove the satisfaction, and the act becomes... hollow."

Taken 3
Poor Liam Neeson. The guy just wants to enjoy retirement, but we all know he has a very particular set of skills. These particular set of skills make big bucks at the box office. Jokes aside... his family keeps getting thrown into danger. I believe this movie was confirmed to be the final film for Bryan Mills as the movie poster claims in big bold writing, "IT ENDS HERE." Anyway, decent ammo dump movie.

Exodus: Gods and Kings
Batman is Moses. Don't mess with this guy or you'll likely have to come to grips with God's wrath and the ten plagues that come with it. A bit of Hollywood trivia The Ten Commandments (1956) was 220 mins. Exodus (2014) was shorter... clocking in at 150 mins. I still liked Exodus. Ridley Scott makes awesome historic epics as well as great sci-fi.

Birdman
I liked the movie, but I don't understand all the hype. I tried going into it with an open mind, but I'm a little surprised it won best pic at the Oscars this year. Maybe I'm missing something or was trying to read to hard in between the lines.

Hungergames: Mocking Jay Part 1
TBH I was a little bored with this one. Katniss reluctantly addresses the issue to be the appointed the symbol of the rebellion and how they try to use her in creative montages to spread the message of rebellion. Like the previous movie the ending is abrupt and leaves me wanting to find out more. Maybe I just miss the game action aspect of the series in the previous films. I guess that's why it's a part one of a finale. Oh and finally RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman. His cameos on this film was brief as I don't know where they were in filming during his passing, but I'll miss his acting.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4156 on: April 14, 2015, 03:37:24 PM »
Taken 3
Poor Liam Neeson. The guy just wants to enjoy retirement, but we all know he has a very particular set of skills. These particular set of skills make big bucks at the box office. Jokes aside... his family keeps getting thrown into danger. I believe this movie was confirmed to be the final film for Bryan Mills as the movie poster claims in big bold writing, "IT ENDS HERE." Anyway, decent ammo dump movie.

I can see the title for the next Taken movie. "Taken 4: You can keep them." Tag Line: Seriously, I'd have better luck with goddamn lemmings." (that or terrorists abduct his family's pet Lemmings and he has to go on a killing spree to get them back before they're made into fur coats).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4157 on: April 16, 2015, 09:57:19 PM »
Dear Harrison Ford,

For someone who has spent the last 20 years openly loathing anything or anyone that dares to mention Han Solo when you're around, you certainly couldn't reprise the roll fast enough once Disney backed up that truckload full of money in front of your house. Your presence in Ep VII basically forfeits your right to be a dickhead about it to fans for the rest of your life.

Deal with it you cranky old shit bag.

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #4158 on: April 16, 2015, 10:37:56 PM »
I could care less how big a tool an actor is, because their job is to make movies not swaddle new babes in arms.

That said, I'm pumped up.

Yoda

• Fear is the Mind Killer
  • Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light
    • View Profile
« Reply #4159 on: April 18, 2015, 12:16:52 PM »
my reaction to the trailer

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4160 on: April 22, 2015, 09:52:13 AM »
I got to see Age of Ultron before you peasants still living in the West

It was what I was expected, and I liked it

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #4161 on: April 25, 2015, 08:33:27 PM »
Ex Machina

Pretty much what I expected, an Outer Limits-ish episode stretched over the better part of 2 hours that wishes it was something deep and profound like 2001 or Blade Runner, but comes off more as something that either TNT or AMC would produce (not enough CGI monsters and the actors/actresses weren't nearly as washed up as a Syfy production) if they had a Hollywood production budget and didn't have the constraints of basic cable.

Highlight of the movie was the fanservice for the men, and a bit of manservice for the ladies. And by fan/manservice, I mean shirtless scenes from the one man, and multiple top to bottom full nudity from the ladies.

Runner-up was the dance scene, the bad guy may have been one nefarious laugh away from classic evil mad scientist, but the guy playing him knew how to bust a groove (as well as the lady backing him up).

Rest of the movie was throughly uneventful until the last half an hour where it turning into a "No! It is I, who is behind you!" off with a dash of "Just as planned!" sprinkled on top. Also, whoever was responsible for the audio sucked. Full stop. Wear Earplugs or Mute and Close Caption if you're renting.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #4162 on: April 29, 2015, 01:13:06 PM »
Jupiter Ascending

NEeeeeh.
So good in some ways, so ...eeeeeeh in others.
Yes, this is the movie that was delayed for MONTHS due to post-processing and more time to edit...  And I think it shows.  It feels like a TON of this movie was either edited out, or ideas simply left on the scrap floor.  It's a shame because it feels like there is SO much potential: The ideas are grand, the world building is strange and unique, but none of the ideas really get the time of day before moving on to the next.  This feels like it should have been a 2 parter...a...biology?  ...2 parter.
Ah well... let's get to it:

+ Fucking BEAUTIFUL.  From top to bottom, beginning to end; set design is top notch, characters are beautifully rendered out (prosthetics are even more ridiculous and well done and offer more creativity than Cloud Atlas).  Concept artist probably had a field day and 3D artists brought it to life perfectly.
+ Beautifully filmed; shots are effective, the action is well done, it's a true Wachowski flick in that way
+ Sean Bean lives!
+ I like the pacing of the film.  The big antagonists peeps, the House of Abraxas, has Jupiter spend time with each of them revealing different aspects of the world/culture.  It's kinda cool.
+ Kudos to one bureaucratic robot for showing an impressive range of...robotic discomfort and frustration.
+ Sci-fi/Fantasy!
+ Fun story but...

- ...Don't be fooled, this is basically a YA fiction piece for girls.  Jupiter is born into nothing (working as a maid) and discovers she's the Ruler of the Earth?  She meets a handsome wolfman/bountyhunter rescuer?  She gets flung from one Abraxas siblings where she is dressed up [beautifully] each time + in peril each time?  Normally I don't mind this level of cheese, it's fun in its own way (a guilty pleasure even), but the film is too short to space out the elements effectively (clocking just under 2 hours where most movies seem to stretch run times these days)... a bit of a shame, other, even shittier YA material is getting adapted into more than one film, but with this making less than 1/3 of its budget at the Box Office... BYE BYE JUPITER JONES!
- Harvesting eggs?  Why?  Weird, personal, barely mentioned again.  An idea left on the cutting room floor with bigger implications, I'm guessing?
- Some edited cuts are just weird too with not enough in between.
- Tatum and Kunis don't have the chemistry needed for this space opera...
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4163 on: April 29, 2015, 02:02:56 PM »
Jupiter Ascending

NEeeeeh.
So good in some ways, so ...eeeeeeh in others.
Yes, this is the movie that was delayed for MONTHS due to post-processing and more time to edit...  And I think it shows.  It feels like a TON of this movie was either edited out, or ideas simply left on the scrap floor.  It's a shame because it feels like there is SO much potential: The ideas are grand, the world building is strange and unique, but none of the ideas really get the time of day before moving on to the next.  This feels like it should have been a 2 parter...a...biology?  ...2 parter.
Ah well... let's get to it:

+ Fucking BEAUTIFUL.  From top to bottom, beginning to end; set design is top notch, characters are beautifully rendered out (prosthetics are even more ridiculous and well done and offer more creativity than Cloud Atlas).  Concept artist probably had a field day and 3D artists brought it to life perfectly.
+ Beautifully filmed; shots are effective, the action is well done, it's a true Wachowski flick in that way
+ Sean Bean lives!
+ I like the pacing of the film.  The big antagonists peeps, the House of Abraxas, has Jupiter spend time with each of them revealing different aspects of the world/culture.  It's kinda cool.
+ Kudos to one bureaucratic robot for showing an impressive range of...robotic discomfort and frustration.
+ Sci-fi/Fantasy!
+ Fun story but...

- ...Don't be fooled, this is basically a YA fiction piece for girls.  Jupiter is born into nothing (working as a maid) and discovers she's the Ruler of the Earth?  She meets a handsome wolfman/bountyhunter rescuer?  She gets flung from one Abraxas siblings where she is dressed up [beautifully] each time + in peril each time?  Normally I don't mind this level of cheese, it's fun in its own way (a guilty pleasure even), but the film is too short to space out the elements effectively (clocking just under 2 hours where most movies seem to stretch run times these days)... a bit of a shame, other, even shittier YA material is getting adapted into more than one film, but with this making less than 1/3 of its budget at the Box Office... BYE BYE JUPITER JONES!
- Harvesting eggs?  Why?  Weird, personal, barely mentioned again.  An idea left on the cutting room floor with bigger implications, I'm guessing?
- Some edited cuts are just weird too with not enough in between.
- Tatum and Kunis don't have the chemistry needed for this space opera...

You missed out on the worst (read: best!!!!) parts:

- Mila Kunis' character is the "reincarnated" Queen of the Universe.  This is actually one of the few things in the film that is actually fully fleshed out.  Since the universe is billions of years old, and there are billions of planets with billions of people, it is highly likely that there will exist two people with the exact same DNA sequence.  This is both awesome and idiotic because A) holy shit because of the sheer size and scope of all things in existence that's probably true and B) that's not how reincarnation works, like at all.  And even if it was, why does anyone care?  It's not explained at all, it just seemed like a lazy plot device where they were hoping the audience didn't want to think too much about it.

- Channing Tatum is a super jacked albino soldier mercenary who was created using wolf DNA (and is also considered the "runt of the litter").  Also, he parcours all over everyone's asses.  And he uses smell for sonar.   

- Those weren't "eggs" the Abraxas' were harvesting.  It is people's "essence".  Which they then use to keep themselves young almost indefinitely (because in this movie "The only currency is time").   

- Sean Bean surviving a movie is a bummer.  I was actually let down when he wasn't betrayed and thrown out an air chute.

- Balem (the main baddie) was amazing.  He spends the entire film yelling for no reason/at no one in particular/even when it's not at all appropriate within the sentence structure (I CREATE LIFE!!!.... and I destroy it). And is then ultimately over powered by Jupiter (who, like you said, spends the entire movie playing the damsel in distress).

- The Abraxas sister just sort of disappears half way through the film.  And it's not explained at all why the 3rd most powerful person in the universe stops having an interest in the proceedings.  I felt like her only purpose in the whole movie was to explain to Jupiter why she was taken (And then get naked).  Because after that she gets like 3 minutes of screen time for the rest of the film.

- Most of the action scenes should have come with epilepsy warnings.  SO...MANY...FLASHING...LIGHTS...

- Mila Kunis is a horrible horrible actress. Her range varies from mildly annoyed to mildly angry to mildly scared to mildly...well you get the point.  She is bad at emphasizing things.  She wasn't even very convincing at falling (which she does a lot in this movie).

- a two part series is a duology.

- The end. My god the end. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 02:16:04 PM by glassjawsh »

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #4164 on: April 29, 2015, 02:34:49 PM »

- a two part series is a duology.

THANK YOU!!  Totally forgot the word.

I meant the eggs harvested at the beginning when she's at the Doctor, not the Space People.  Her cousin's a fuckhead for using her like that and getting the most bank for it --- he should have been killed by the aliens.  They should have pulled a Matrix where's he's selling her out, but that didn't happen and he spends the money he didn't have for AV/VG equipment.... like huh?  Stupid C plot.

And yeah, like I said, I like the look at the family in sort of "episodes", but the film just doesn't have enough staying power (and clearly no shot of a sequel) to make it more meaningful long term.  Sister was done and she was basically all but written out.

And I actually find it amazing and sad that Sean Bean is, at this point, and excellent actor.... at dying. D:

I feel like when the Wachowski's hit, they're hitting a homerun, and when they miss it's like "The ball was over there why did you even bother swinging?!"

That said, I loved Cloud Atlas for what it was.  This was a bit of a let down...so uh hopefully their next is another win. :P
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 02:37:35 PM by Dice »
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #4165 on: May 01, 2015, 10:06:21 AM »
Barry Munday - Rented this on a whim, as it was recommended to me by Netflix. It's about a sleazeball pervert who has little respect for women. He is constantly hitting on them, and trying to get into their pants (skirts?). In a karmic twist, he is castrated by a trumpet wielding dad in a movie theater. Yes... that's right. In his recovery stage, he is slammed with a paternity suit.
Anyway, the movie starts out kind of slow and a bit predictable, but the strong acting helps keep it together. Especially once Judy Greer comes into the picture. I love her, and she did great here.  As the movie progresses, it sort of transitions from a dude comedy to a rom com. It keeps the crude wit, but it starts to produce feels on the side. I was not expecting emotions and stuff, but being a dad, a good amount of it hit close to home. In the end, it all made for a good movie. Nothing truly fantastic about it, but it's a solid watch. Recommended for couples.

Steamboy - Finally got around to seeing this. I liked it. I think it's a bit underrated, actually. I can see why it's far from perfect, but I enjoyed the whole thing. Especially the action scenes. I'm not into steampunk "culture", but I found myself getting into the inventions and machines in the film. Pretty neat stuff. I watched with the English dub, as I'd rather not have to read during a movie, unless the actors are terrible. Thankfully, they aren't here.
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4166 on: May 01, 2015, 12:01:35 PM »
I'm just going to drop this here so I can say that just LOOKING at this info graphic is exhausting

For every movie that I am actually interested in seeing (The Neil Gaimon "Sandman" being the big one) There are at least 5 that make me shake my head in disgust. 

Super hero fatigue is a real thing. 

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4167 on: May 01, 2015, 12:42:06 PM »

Yeah, I have to imagine we're going to start seeing diminishing box office numbers for comic book movies, followed by cancellations on some of the riskier projects (Justice League Dark, for example).

That said, everyone please remember to use the spoiler button thingy if you talk about Age of Ultron in the next few weeks here, even if the thing you're talking about is something you think is pretty well known.  (Like whatever happens after the credits because duh of course something will.)
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #4168 on: May 01, 2015, 01:18:04 PM »
The super hero saturation is fuckin ridiculous, IMO. It's all about the almighty <insert low value currency of choice>. There will always be a market for it, so of course studios are pumping 'em out like baby batter at a buk**ke . As Tooker says, probably not so much of a market in the coming years as it is now...

...but it'll always be there.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 01:19:59 PM by natros »
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Aeolus

• View Profile
« Reply #4169 on: May 01, 2015, 04:19:52 PM »
I'm just going to drop this here so I can say that just LOOKING at this info graphic is exhausting

For every movie that I am actually interested in seeing (The Neil Gaimon "Sandman" being the big one) There are at least 5 that make me shake my head in disgust. 

O hai thar DC. Bout time you showed up to copy Marvel's success (yet again). Couldn't wait five more years for Marvel's actors to start aging out before dropping your own glut of Superhero movies, could ya'?