Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
Re: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« Reply #4170 on: May 01, 2015, 08:36:56 PM »
I'm just going to drop this here so I can say that just LOOKING at this info graphic is exhausting

For every movie that I am actually interested in seeing (The Neil Gaimon "Sandman" being the big one) There are at least 5 that make me shake my head in disgust. 

Super hero fatigue is a real thing. 

O hai thar DC. Bout time you showed up to copy Marvel's success (yet again). Couldn't wait five more years for Marvel's actors to start aging out before dropping your own glut of Superhero movies, could ya'?

Sony is still proceeding with Sinister Six and other Spider-Man projects even with the new agreement with Marvel? I guess they could squeeze them into the MCU still, but would they have the same continuity of the Amazing Spider-Man series? My guess is no, but it's still curious to me that they'd proceed with them.

And to be honest, that list looks exhausting.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4171 on: May 01, 2015, 09:06:03 PM »
I'm just going to drop this here so I can say that just LOOKING at this info graphic is exhausting

For every movie that I am actually interested in seeing (The Neil Gaimon "Sandman" being the big one) There are at least 5 that make me shake my head in disgust.  

Super hero fatigue is a real thing.  

O hai thar DC. Bout time you showed up to copy Marvel's success (yet again). Couldn't wait five more years for Marvel's actors to start aging out before dropping your own glut of Superhero movies, could ya'?

Sony is still proceeding with Sinister Six and other Spider-Man projects even with the new agreement with Marvel? I guess they could squeeze them into the MCU still, but would they have the same continuity of the Amazing Spider-Man series? My guess is no, but it's still curious to me that they'd proceed with them.

And to be honest, that list looks exhausting.

Admittedly, Sony, Fox and Warner Bros. going full tilt isn't helping things either, but then they've been at it for at least 15 years now which is longer than Marvel's been at it.

Then again, Superhero movies have been a thing since the 1930s (though they've come a long way from the pre-movie shorts of yestercentury) so its never going to fully go away.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: May 02, 2015, 01:33:54 PM »
Idk about the rest of you, but that Shazam movie is what I'm looking at right now...

So many questions, so many possibilities.

TASTY!

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #4173 on: May 02, 2015, 03:43:19 PM »
Anyone else come away from Ultron feeling just 'eh'? I mean not a bad 'eh' but more the result you get after getting like a B+ grade on a term paper. Feels like the thing suffered from over saturation and few plot threads that had no reason existing. (Still not Iron Man 2 bad by any stretch, but very much a middle grade Marvel movie.)

Code: [Select]
Natasha and Bruce...the *honk*? That came out of freaking nowhere and doesn't fit at all.

Honestly I think AoU would've been much better if they'd carved out a lot of Bruce's story and gave him
his own damn movie already. Avengers 1 was already 50% Avengers 50% Hulk-story. Repeating it here just
reaaaaaly drags things down. Since there's nothing in Phase 3 for him this means Infinity Wars Part 1 is going
to be alllll about the Hulk AGAIN...geez.

Also found myself a bit spoiled by the Earth's Mightiest Heroes cartoon. Their interpretation of Ultron was the
bar I had to hold this one to. And this one just got so little development/screen time to work with. Literally it
felt less like Ultron was a villain and more someone purely for snark. Kinda hard to be the comic relief AND the
villain even with the story focus on you. Here it just didn't quite work thanks to drowning in subplots. Didn't help
that he lacked the benefit Loki had of a full extra movie to flesh him out before hand. Poor Ultron just got sooooo
rushed to the frontlines without any buildup.

Then there was that whole 'recycling of the giant army' battle. It's pretty...but not as well choreographed as
Avengers 1 and you're going to inevitably make the comparison in your mind while watching it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 03:57:00 PM by ZeronHitaro »

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: May 02, 2015, 09:08:48 PM »
I really enjoyed it, myself.  Thought the action was satisfying, and there were lots of laughs in the theater.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: May 02, 2015, 09:46:04 PM »
and there were lots of laughs in the theater.

I think this right here was one of the main problems with my viewing. Hoooly crap was the audience stiff. There were some laughs but I felt like I was surrounded by zombies.

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
« Reply #4176 on: May 02, 2015, 11:09:07 PM »
and there were lots of laughs in the theater.

I think this right here was one of the main problems with my viewing. Hoooly crap was the audience stiff. There were some laughs but I felt like I was surrounded by zombies.

Honestly one reason I hate watching with people.. A stiff audience can make the film seem dry, a disruptive audience (or that one ass who talks through the whole thing) can worsen the experience... I actually think this stuff can matter. I like going with less people
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: May 03, 2015, 12:28:01 AM »
I actually had one experience where an audience that was over the top actually improved the movie: watching Transformers 2 near Times Square.  Movie was semi-entertaining.  Audience was extremely entertaining. :)

But I've been to other movies where somebody like that was really annoying - I guess the best audience to see a movie with can vary by movie, too.
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: May 03, 2015, 06:13:16 AM »
Idk about the rest of you, but that Shazam movie is what I'm looking at right now...

I want to look forward to that movie, but DC seems to be going for the dark and gritty feel with their movie universe, so I am instead expecting an angst filled movie missing the entire point of Shazam and my money as well. >.>

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4179 on: May 03, 2015, 08:23:52 PM »

I want to look forward to that movie, but DC seems to be going for the dark and gritty feel with their movie universe, so I am instead expecting an angst filled movie missing the entire point of Shazam and my money as well. >.>
Exactly, that's why it has my attention. Shazam is such a high powered hero but....he's a kid. It's got possibilities, but it could be ruined too. It has my attention, regardless.

TASTY!

Lard

• View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: May 03, 2015, 11:17:00 PM »
I saw Avengers tonight.

I liked it overall, and it was actually a little better than I was expecting.

There were no eye-roll inducing moments like the first one and I liked that it was a little bit more introspective.

However, I'm not sorry that Whedon is leaving and we're getting the guys from Cap 2, because I loved that movie.

I have faith in them to deliver a good sequel(s).
I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: May 04, 2015, 02:20:32 AM »
However, I'm not sorry that Whedon is leaving and we're getting the guys from Cap 2, because I loved that movie.

I second this. While I appreciate that Whedon tries to do good by having females in more leading roles, it can sometimes feel a little backhanded, especially once the Buffy-speak starts up or he has said leading females go full on Vulnerable yet Spunky.

Also Winter Soldier was indeed a great action movie.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: May 04, 2015, 06:07:25 AM »

Ah fudge, I liked Winter Soldier, but at some points the action in it nearly gave me a headache because of how the action was shot.

Klutz64

• I Like Wacky Hats
  • May Your Heart be Your Guiding Key
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: May 04, 2015, 09:03:34 AM »
I had a crazy dream last night that Age of Ultron opened with the Avengers putting a stop to one of Joker's plots and then calling up Batman to make fun of him for not being able to do his job.

Somehow I think I'm going to be disappointed by the movie now.

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4184 on: May 06, 2015, 10:47:11 AM »
I saw Avengers last night. I enjoyed it quite a bit, though I think I prefer the first Avengers. I thought the action was better, the story was less convoluted and had fewer plot holes, and the characters still had their own development. I feel like this one was a logical progression of the characters and the storyline Marvel built up in the Phase 2 movies. However, I think it suffered somewhat as a result of the larger story that is still building.

I still did really enjoy the Hulk vs Iron Man fight that the trailer teased. That was my favorite part of the movie.