Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
Re: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« Reply #4965 on: June 27, 2017, 08:19:31 PM »
Finally saw Wonder Woman. Unfortunately, there were so many terrible fake German accents (especially Chris Pine's, good lord almighty was that horrific) that I had trouble taking almost anyone seriously.  It was like they'd cast a dozen Nick Cage's or Keanu Reeves' based solely on looking hawt/the part and not because any of them (other than Gal Gadot who was perfect) were actually suited for their roles.  It honestly left me wondering if they were all instructed by Patty Jenkins and (ugh) Zach Snyder to play embarrassing and racist early 20th century stereotypes of what Americans thought Germans should sound like.  At least that would fit thematically with Wonder Woman's Nazi skull crackin' WWII roots.

Bad.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 08:23:10 PM by Rucks »

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: June 28, 2017, 06:17:50 PM »
that I had trouble taking almost anyone seriously.

...Isn't that part of the point? The first DC movie in years that didn't feel like it was taking itself ultra-seriously while gargling gravel (okay, that was just Batman, but still) during their obligatory self-important speeches without a hint of irony or self-awareness? Or even a sense of fun and intrigue, more often than not? I dunno...I just don't see how the accent would ruin a story that, when what I saw it, seemed like a story of optimism in the face of extreme pessimism - which is the very reason comic book superheroes ever struck a cord with me to begin with.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: June 28, 2017, 08:55:50 PM »
I want to see the Last Knight and the Mummy.

And then I probably won't see any movies for a very long time..
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: June 29, 2017, 02:08:16 AM »
Watching Power Rangers and all I can say is this movie is massivrly messed up, like someone seriously was like hey remember when we got to abuse nerds willy nilly? Lets make a nostalgia movie about that!

Plus lets ironically support the notion that we are against this but cleverly not dismiss it, and subtly reinforce it.

Oh snd casual racism, cherry on top.
"I don't live by labels, I can be anything I want, I'd rather die a pauper than live on as someone else's fantasy!" - My best attempt at quoting the protagonist of Vandal Hearts 2.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4969 on: June 29, 2017, 03:37:12 AM »
I want to see the Last Knight and the Mummy.

And then I probably won't see any movies for a very long time..

Yeah, as someone who just saw Transformers: The Last Knight...I wouldn't want to watch movies for a very long time if I had taken both of those cannonballs to the senses...

The Last Knight had to have been the laziest written movie I've ever seen. The dialogue felt like it was written on a Sunday night after a lot of alcohol, the story just insists on poking holes into the Transformers universe and shoehorning in plot elements that don't even make sense within the movie. I was just waiting for Bumblebee to show up in one part where they were dropping a backstory deuce and say, "why don't I remember any of that? That seems like something I would've brought up by now. Are you senile, old man?" Even the obligatory character death was basically the actor going out say, "now I can finally take my paycheck and go home!" Like, he said something to the effect of, "at least I contributed something before I died." Which he didn't. I don't even know where he was over where all the transformers were fighting. He accomplished jacksquat and everybody else forgot about him by the end of the movie.

Even the action scenes were either boring, or heavily recycled. There was a cool scene near the beginning, but it felt like it would've been better if this was actually relevent to the rest of the story, but even the nanoseconds we spend with those characters makes me glad we never see them again. It also had the obligatory dinobot barrel roll, which they used three times in this movie, and they probably would've used it more often if him and the dragon had more screen time. Which he didn't. There was another cool scene near the beginning in present day, but its best moments were ripped from Star Wars, wholesale. It even involved an R2-D2 rip-off.

I could go on, but if you guys take anything from this...just don't watch Transformers: The Last Knight. I mean, I guess it's been out too long by now for it to make a difference (already accidently made the "Last Night" joke when I called my mom earlier, so I'll spare you guys from the cringe-worthy cheese. I guess the writing in this movie rubbed off on me...ew...).

Still, Arti, save your money. The Mummy was a piece of crap, too. July is already guaranteed to have some better movies. I don't even need to watch them to say that, because it just doesn't get much worse than this without entering B-Movie territory - actually, I'd rather watch a modern B-Movie than see the newest Transformers movie again!

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: June 29, 2017, 03:54:25 AM »
Ok I am now watching John Wick ch 2 and it is super dumb but I think thats the point.

I still wouldn't reccomend though really...

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: June 29, 2017, 06:45:44 AM »
Lego Batman movie, the.

It's all right

Artimicia

• Banninated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4972 on: June 29, 2017, 08:23:16 AM »
Hidden Figures...

Conveniently timed propaganda that will hopefully placate wanton murder of black people by cops etc...

Honestly though it's just another bad movie and I can't pick the good ones

Ranadiel

• View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: June 29, 2017, 05:58:28 PM »
Didn't you just say five posts ago that you weren't going to see anymore movies for a very long time? O.o I think you've seen more movies after saying that then I have in the past year.

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: June 29, 2017, 06:56:20 PM »
I didn't watch any Transformers movies after the first one. I can only imagine you guys who are still watching the franchise on its fifth film do it just so you can complain.

Not saying that's a bad thing, I know I like watching bad films just to complain sometimes. I usually wait until I don't have to pay money to see them though. :P

The saddest part of those movies is always seeing that list of hundreds of CGI artists at the end of the film. They poured thousands of man-hours into making those films look incredible and it's at the service of nothing.

I had trouble taking almost anyone seriously.

Hey, at least they didn't have Chris Pine say something like "The war...The World War™!" and then have him wink at the camera.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4975 on: June 29, 2017, 08:10:22 PM »
I didn't watch any Transformers movies after the first one. I can only imagine you guys who are still watching the franchise on its fifth film do it just so you can complain.

Not saying that's a bad thing, I know I like watching bad films just to complain sometimes. I usually wait until I don't have to pay money to see them though. :P

It was either I watched Transformers: The Last Knight, or I watched a shitty comedy. Or I get wet in the rain (which was still kinda going by the time I walked out the door, btw. There's no way I could've waited it out). So in that light, it did its job of killing time. It was still utterly brainless, though, and I think from now on I'll just pay more attention to weather forecasts before I go out on day trips.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #4976 on: June 30, 2017, 10:46:25 AM »
Logan - l thought it was decent, but not great. I somewhat agree with Rucks' take that the movie tries a little too hard at times to get the feels out of the viewer, at the expense of consistency. It is a bit jarring to go from crazy bloody fight scenes (Which I totally support!! MOAR R-rated superhero films, please!!!) to somber drama where a couple of tired old people roll around; moan/complain; and
Spoiler: show
die
. Still, as strong as the drama comes on, I rarely felt like it was being crammed down my throat.
Either way, I'm glad I saw it, and that it was successful. Despite some flaws, it's still interesting and entertaining, and different than most CGI-inflated supero films. Jackman and Stewart are great, as usual. In my opinion, it's still better than any X movie since X2 (though I realize that's not saying very much). A highlight was that my wife was crazy pissed at the ending. "That's BULLSHIT!", she says.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4977 on: June 30, 2017, 04:50:42 PM »
^It was a pretty bullshit ending, though.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #4978 on: June 30, 2017, 07:44:04 PM »
No argument here. I certainly didn't enjoy that part of it.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4979 on: July 02, 2017, 07:31:25 PM »
Finally watched OG Gorjilla and now I know what that late 90s era American Godzilla movie was missing. It was missing having a team of reporters situated on top of an easily destroyed tower, broadcasting the details of the carnage of Godzilla's rampage, even in the very obvious face of the fact that they are turbo fucked.
Code: [Select]
And IIRC, wouldn't the description of a band of intrepid reporters, just so happen to fit the main characters of that atomic powered turd.

What I'm saying is that America Godzilla should've ended with everyone but Godzilla dying, because it otherwise completely missed the point of having an armageddon created disaster parked right on top of humanity's front doorstep and the human fallacy of wanting to solve all of our problems with violence.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.