Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
Re: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« Reply #4980 on: July 03, 2017, 10:19:01 AM »
Anyone else seeing Andy Serkis Oscar buzz surrounding the new Apes movie?  I have never been able to take those movies seriously, so that really shocked me.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Tooker

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4981 on: July 03, 2017, 11:29:27 AM »
Semi-related note: I recently picked up all of the as-yet-released issues of a six issue comic, Planet of the Apes/Green Lantern. It's 100% designed for people who are big fans of the original movies and are also at least somewhat well-informed on the last few years of Green Lantern.  I enjoyed it. :)
Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4982 on: July 03, 2017, 05:19:29 PM »
The first of the current Apes movies was pretty laughable, but Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was actually really good, so I'll give War a shot.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #4983 on: July 03, 2017, 08:20:44 PM »
I thought Rise of the Planet of the Apes was fantastic.  I have yet to see Dawn, but I heard great things about it.

The Mark Wahlberg Planet of the Apes movie though... yeah.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 08:23:06 PM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Hathen

• View Profile
« Reply #4984 on: July 04, 2017, 06:17:38 AM »
I think both the new Apes movies have been great (but especially Dawn), and I'm looking forward to the new one. Generally I find the biggest problem people had with the first one was them having a hard time taking James Franco and John Lithgow seriously. I get why that can ruin the movie for some, but actors rarely make or break a movie for me.

Dincrest

• Foot-in-Mouth disease
  • RPGFan Editor
  • Overuser of analogies, similes, and metaphors
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #4985 on: July 04, 2017, 06:26:53 AM »
I thought Lithgow was solid.  He had to portray a man with dementia and he did that well. 

As for Franco, he was neutral but worked because he just had to be something of a foil for Caesar... and it was all about Caesar. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 06:28:26 AM by Dincrest »
"I think I'm losing it.  I'm pulling out my hair trying to figure out what couch defines me as a person.  This is freaking madness.  This is hopeless.  This... my perfect little habitat here, and I still don't even know who I am."  - from Dow Jones and the Temple of Doom by Burnt By The Sun

Jimmy

• Wakens the Ferine Strain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4986 on: July 04, 2017, 08:39:07 PM »
The wife and I saw Baby Driver yesterday. It was pretty fun, and reminded me of 90s "attitude" kids. That being said, the car chases were fun, but there were really only two of them and the first was a lot more thrilling than the second. A little surprised by the ending, and that was pleasant.

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #4987 on: July 05, 2017, 05:51:35 AM »
I was gonna watch Independance Day yesterday, but I couldn't find it on Netflix...I'm really really not liking Netflix. At all. I mean, I get it through a family account, but I'm wondering if Hulu or Amazon Prime have any similar option, even if I put my own money towards it. They just seem like better options.

I also couldn't justify paying money on a movie I've seen a million times, in case anyone's wondering.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4988 on: July 05, 2017, 09:20:25 AM »
Hulu has excellent selection of shows, but is weak on the movie side.  Amazon Prime is the best service overall, but their selection of shows can be pretty weak.

Netflix has the best balance.
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Starmongoose

• Forum Moderator
  • Contributing Editor
  • I Mean Bismuth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4989 on: July 05, 2017, 06:40:19 PM »
Incoming long post about gay cult movies by me, Starmongoose!

My boyfriend hasn't seen many movies, his family never went in for that really. But even if he did see a movie, it was German. So I've been introducing him to some of my favourite classic gay cult films. I'll list the ones I've watched together with him so far. I love them all, but I'll bracket my boyfriends thoughts.

1. Rocky Horror Picture Show - Naturally. (He liked it, we are gonna do some karaoke songs together.)

2. Hedwig and the Angry Inch - As much as I love RHPS, I probably love Hedwig more. Its songs are very real and relevant to queer people. (He found some parts too strange, but on the whole liked it. I think he prefers RHPS.)

3. Grey Gardens - This is a documentary about Jackie O's estranged relatives, Big Edie and Little Edie Beale (Bouvier) who live in this run down dilapidated mansion. The two Edie's are pretty much gay icons thanks to their strangeness/fabulousness. The film adaptation with Drew Barrymore and Jessica Lange is also really good, they capture the characters well but the documentary is the original, and the real deal. (He didn't care for it, which I think I expected. He's a bi guy who thought he was straight until we started dating, so he's not really as susceptible to typical gay icons.)

4. Death Becomes Her - Gets funnier every time I see it. (He also liked it, he considered it the most "normal" movie I showed him thus far, which I guess is true. It has Meryl Strepe in it. )

5. Transamerica - A roadmovie with Felicity Huffman as a transgender woman who learns she has a son from a girlfriend she had back from before she started to transition. It's really good, it makes me feel the feels. I of course, wish it was an actual trans person playing the role, but it really is a case of baby steps when it comes to this stuff, and I think Felicity Huffman is really good in the role.  (He liked this, he hated the son though)

6. Paris Is Burning - Another documentary.  It's about New York "Ball Culture" in the 80's/early 90's, where gay and transgender people (mostly of colour) would compete in various contests, basically catagories that revolve around the element of "Realness". Pretending to be something, or be a part of a society in a passable way. So it could be transgender people or drag queens competeing to be "real" women, or gay men competing in catogaries like "working business man", a job that's out of reach for their poor uneducated backgrounds. It's really facinating and an important documentary. (Again, he was okay with it. As I said, he was thought himself straight until he was 20. He never went through what most gay kids went through, with the bullying or the feeling of not being part of the culture around you. So I don't think these queer-history focused things speak to him like they do me. )

7. Priscilla Queen of the Desert - This was like, one of those gay movies I'd wait for my parents to go to bed so I could watch in secret, because it interested me so much and I didn't understand why but I felt this shame about it. I'm talking about when I was like 10 years old. I hadn't seen it in years. I still like it, but now it feels very of its time in regards to...sensitivity, but still was a really important film in its day. (My boyfriend thought it was alright, he likes the really campy gay guy.)

8. The Birdcage. Robin Williams is in it. That's all that needs to be said. But it's seriously the most rewatchable film on this list. It's just very funny and wholesome. (Boyfriend loves it. The power of Robin Williams).

9. Mommy Dearest. This is a gay cult film, but it's not really about gay culture or anything. I didn't really want to show my boyfriend it, because of how disturbing it is, and I was worried he wouldn't watch another film with me again after it. :P It's about the life of Joan Crawford as told through the point of view of her daughter, who she apparently abused physically and psychologically most of her life. People doubt the validity of her daughters claims, but I think it's probably a mixture of truth and fiction. It certainly paints the daughter as an almost cherubic figure. (Boyfriend doesn't like it, and doesn't like it when I burst into a room shouting "NO WIRE HANGERS!!!!")

10. Brokeback Mountain. I don't like this movie and I never have. But I watched it for comprehensiveness sake. (My boyfriend likes this way more than me. Perhaps the subject matter touched him more than it does me, because it is more in line with his sexuality and background. Where straight men are expected to act a certain way and love a certain way.)

11. Cabaret. One of my favourite musicals of all time. Love it. Sing all the songs pretty much daily. I had to convince my local karaoke bar DJ to add the songs with German in it to the playlist. (Boyfriend thinks it is also great.)

12. Mysterious Skin. As awful as it is to say, when I was a teenager I'd watch this just to see the butt of Joseph Gordon Levitt. But it's actually a really good, sad film. I cry when I watch it. (My boyfriend thought it was good. )

13. Fried Green Tomatoes. This was actually the very first film I watched with my boyfriend (alright, it was actually Intersteller, we went to the cinema to see that on our first day, but this is the first movie I sat him down to watch). I love this movie. I love it so much. I think the acting is fantastic, I think it touches on so many issues in a wonderful way. It gives me that warm feeling inside. I think it's just fab. (Boyfriend also really liked it, but considers it very much a "womans movie". )

And that's what we've watched so far. I don't know where to go next, but I'm sure something will jog my memory.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 06:48:49 PM by Starmongoose »

Penguin Boss Patrolling The Forums.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #4990 on: July 11, 2017, 11:21:15 AM »
Lego Batman Movie - Overall, I thought it was pretty good. Not as good as the OG Lego Movie. My thing with this movie is that there was simply too much going on at times. They tried to cram way too many references and characters. Just got too busy for there to be a cohesive plot. ...Which may have been the point, I don't know. However, it definitely has its moments. Plenty of the humor works, and I was surprised at the amount of heart. I like all of the main cast too, so that was definitely a plus.

John Wick 2 - I have to admit that I was a little let down. Don't get me wrong. I love the first film, and this one is still John Wick goodness at its core. The fight scenes are as incredible as the first, if not more so. However..., this one just felt kind of hollow in comparison. Wick has avenged his dog's death, and wants out of the game, but he is bound by some kind of assassin's code to do one more job, which leads to intense situations left and right.
It honestly just didn't feel like there was as much of a sense of purpose to this film. That would be fine, if there was lots of fighting throughout, but in my opinion, there wasn't nearly enough of it. It's like they tried to squeeze too much plot of something that really doesn't need it. It's just not interesting or well acted enough for me to care about the story that much. Just get to the incredible ass-kicking already.

Get Out - Excellent. Not sure I would call it an actual horror movie, but it's definitely creepy as fuck, in a Stepford Wives kind of way. It has an old school feel, and the inspirations are there, but it still manages to carve out it's own place. It does a pretty good job of making you wonder what the hell is going on through a well-paced slow burn. When it all finally comes to a head, it's fantastic insanity. Well done all around. I'm impressed with Peele's direction, and how the movie takes several jabs at how modern society handles racism.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #4991 on: July 13, 2017, 12:30:42 PM »
Okja - Pretty good. Definitely entertaining. Well acted by all involved, and the international style is enjoyable. Nice balance of humor; drama; and action. The overall theme of friendship was handled effectively. I totally got a bit of the feels at certain points. I'm actually glad the ending is bittersweet. Real life is never tied in a fancy bow, yo.
However, I felt the movie was a little heavy-handed with its evils of animal slaughtering/processing message. I suppose that is to be expected, given the plot, and with the Animal Liberation Front being such a large part of the film...
Side note: I really like seeing Jake Gyllenhaal in comedic style roles. He has a definite knack for it that is not utilized nearly enough.

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4992 on: July 17, 2017, 03:31:39 AM »
LadyHawke: After god knows how many years its been since I've first attempted to watch this one, I've finally got to see it (albeit not quite to its entirety; in fact, had I not stopped off to watch something before going to bed, I'd missed this completely). The music and effects are sadly rather incredibly 80s as hell, but the rest of the movie held up very well.
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #4993 on: July 17, 2017, 10:40:32 AM »
What We Do in the Shadows – Hilarious mockumentary about 4 vampires living together in a flat/apartment in New Zealand.  So very well done. Both my wife and I loved it. A must see, if you are a fan of that style of film/TV .

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4994 on: July 17, 2017, 01:15:13 PM »
Mad Dog and Glory - Bill Murray, Robert De Niro and Uma Thurman.  In the early 90's. When the former two were at the pinnacle of their careers and the latter was a stone cold shut em down fox.  Also notable because Murray plays the tough/wise guy while De Niro is the amicable every-man.  Both knock their roles completely out of the park and the humor is just goofy/quirky enough that it held me interest in a way that other Murray vehicles around the same time like Kingpin and What About, Bob? (both of which I really like but aren't particularly unique or interesting) don't.  There's even a "pre-CSI caricature so he still gives a shit about acting" David Caruso sighting.

9/10 thoroughly enjoyable would watch again.