Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« Reply #5055 on: July 23, 2018, 07:53:01 PM »
I just watched the Teen Titans, uh TITANS trailer and had to wipe the grit off my computer screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=102&v=d5dIwGAYcWk

I mean, at least it's not Teen Titans GO....I still won't watch it, though.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Electricb7

• View Profile
« Reply #5056 on: July 23, 2018, 08:23:46 PM »
That Titans trailer was just so fucking bad. Yikes.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5057 on: July 24, 2018, 09:46:23 AM »
Have we talked about Solo in here?  I'm so behind.  Solo was pretty easily the best SW film since the OT.  If it had Jedi in it it might have even been just as good as the OT.  Such a shame it came out when it did and everyone is SW/sci-fi blockbuster fatigued.  I mean, it's not like it did terribly (#4 grossing for the year so far, I think?) just not up to the level Disney has come to expect from the property.  A lot of SW haters still complain a little about Solo, since it's still SW and all SW is bad and horrible and gives children AIDS, but it was honestly a near-perfect sci-fi romp that was more true to its source material than any other SW property I have ever seen.  It was fun, hilarious, moving, with great characters and mindblowing action.  The legendary "Kessel Run" sequence somehow, SOMEHOW, actually lived up to the 40 years of hype surrounding it.  No idea how they pulled that off.

I really couldn't have been happier with the movie.  Made even Rogue One look a bit like butt in comparison.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:47:57 AM by Arvis »
"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #5058 on: July 24, 2018, 09:01:05 PM »
^ I did see Solo before joining this site. I thought it was a solid summer blockbuster film and SW entry. My only complaint I'd lobby is that there is no major reveal that expands the lore of the SW universe. You're not missing out on something big by skipping it but it's still a really good movie. The positive aspect is someone can enjoy it as a stand-alone experience.

I'm also in agreement with the Titans trailer. It was plain bad.

Agent D.

• Agent Bewear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5059 on: July 25, 2018, 10:22:10 AM »
Teen titans go is hilarious. People need to stop berating the show because they didn't get the og teen titans back. Yeah it sucked, yeah cartoon network is ridiculous, but judge the show on its own qualities. It's been 4 years since it came out and is getting a theatrical release this friday, it's obviously doing something right.

Titans on the other hand....yeah that's a bastardization of characters left and right. Only thing about it that looks interesting so far is Robin, and he's just edgy cuz FUCK BATMAN. Everyone else is so far characterized poorly or just stupid looking. Starfire is the worst designed so far, and frankly it's ridiculous. I'll check it out and hopefully be surprised but my expectations are incredibly low.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2018, 03:22:29 PM by Agent D. »

TASTY!

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5060 on: July 25, 2018, 05:58:42 PM »
Teen titans go is hilarious. People need to stop berating the show because they didn't get the og teen titans back.

Actually, my problem with it is that I found it to be a terrible, shallow comedy from what I watched of it. Outright cringe-worthy, even. I love Teen Titans, but I know this is a separate entity. I just don't think it's worth watching. Mind you, I don't watch a lot of cartoons, so it could just be that most cartoons are garbage nowadays? I dunno, and I'd rather not test that theory, I've got too many games to play and more than enough anime to satisfy me these days.

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5061 on: July 25, 2018, 11:55:57 PM »
Teen titans go is hilarious. People need to stop berating the show because they didn't get the og teen titans back.

Actually, my problem with it is that I found it to be a terrible, shallow comedy from what I watched of it. Outright cringe-worthy, even. I love Teen Titans, but I know this is a separate entity. I just don't think it's worth watching. Mind you, I don't watch a lot of cartoons, so it could just be that most cartoons are garbage nowadays? I dunno, and I'd rather not test that theory, I've got too many games to play and more than enough anime to satisfy me these days.

It has its moments, but they're rare, and not nearly as good as some of the really silly moments from previous animated DC shows like JLU. And its certainly not worth the level of overexposure its received from TTGNetwork.

Admittedly, the Hi Hi Puffy Amiumi one wasn't that good either (who the hell is Deathstroke?, why are they calling him Slade?, and is he such a big deal as to lead a show as the main antagonist?; also Red Hood, just Red Hood, lol).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Arvis

• Prudish Gerontophobe
  • RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5062 on: July 26, 2018, 09:32:15 AM »
it could just be that most cartoons are garbage nowadays?

"You know, you're pretty cool too, Arvis.  You like good music, good games, and good tennis." - Divingfalcons

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #5063 on: July 26, 2018, 10:57:34 AM »
^ CHILDREN'S 'toons of today suck, yes (I'm a parent, I would know). However, adult animation is currently better than ever.

I agree with some on TTG!. It has it's moments, but it seems to have a severe case of ADHD most of the time...
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Goblin Shark

• RPGFan Editor
    • View Profile
    • RPGFan
« Reply #5064 on: July 27, 2018, 08:23:06 PM »
I think the better children's cartoons out there are foreign productions.

Miraculous: Tales of Ladybug & Cat Noir, which is a French-Japanese production, is loads of fun. 

And Burka Avenger in Pakistan is pretty cool: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XahbqLdCVhE (I particularly like Burka Avenger because she uses books and pencils as weapons to fight corrupt politicians who want to shut down girls' schools.  Plus, I love the fact that she wears her burqa like it's armor, really flipping the script.)
You can brag about your 5000+ friends on social media all you want, but riddle me this: how many of them would help you move?

Greganox

• View Profile
« Reply #5065 on: August 04, 2018, 02:15:34 PM »
Suicide Squad: Liked but wasn't a fan of Jared Leto's portrayal of the Joker.

Ratchet & Clank: Don't why all the bad reviews. Loved all the references to past games via memorable weapons and races (I saw a lot of Fongoids).

Mickeymac92

• RPGFan Survey Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5066 on: August 06, 2018, 11:15:41 AM »
Suicide Squad: Liked but wasn't a fan of Jared Leto's portrayal of the Joker.

Ratchet & Clank: Don't why all the bad reviews. Loved all the references to past games via memorable weapons and races (I saw a lot of Fongoids).

I thought you were talking about the PS4 game, but yeah....I won't question your tastes, but I found the story downright insultingly bad? Like, I don't know what they were thinking with a few scenes. The writing in the game was better than what was in the movie for pete's sake.

I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Frostillicus

• View Profile
« Reply #5067 on: August 10, 2018, 09:36:21 AM »
Ready Player One - Such a fun movie. So much nostalgia, so many references. The Shining sequence was great. The Iron Giant's presence was especially awesome (I love that movie).
Plot and character development-wise, this movie is a bit empty, but that doesn't take away from the film, in my opinion. The characters are still enjoyable. Besides, one should presume going in that they are not about to see a compelling drama. It's just about having fun, and going on a bit of a wild ride. Plus, it has that Spielbergian feel on which most of us who are 30+ grew up.
Highly recommended for those who don't take their movies too seriously, and especially for those who love video games and nostalgic references (which thankfully are not shoved down your throat, simply because nostalgia. It's intelligently implemented by the man who at least had a small hand in creating most of said nostalgia).
"Movies are better than people. You don't have to smell who you're watching." ~ Baby Cakes

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5068 on: August 10, 2018, 10:31:40 AM »
Wasn't the entire point of Ready Player One to beat nostalgic game references down your throat? 

I won't belabor it, but if that film wasn't aware of how ham fisted it was being it would have been entirely unbearable to watch (the book was worse).

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"

Rucks

• RPGFan Survey Hero
  • Salvum est Vita!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5069 on: August 10, 2018, 10:32:02 AM »
Wasn't the entire point of Ready Player One to beat nostalgic game references down your throat? 

I won't belabor it, but if that film wasn't aware of how ham fisted it was being it would have been entirely unbearable to watch (though the book was worse)

Captain Ron - Speaking of dumb movies.  This is one of the stupidest films I've ever seen (like a dozen times) and I still love it.  Making Kurt Russell the funny guy and Martin Short the straight man is an absolute masterstroke of unintentional irony. 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 10:36:24 AM by Rucks »

"This goes way beyond pumpkin spice" "Whale oil beef hooked"