Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 26, 2014, 01:18:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334851 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 258 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 378542 times)
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1650 on: December 19, 2010, 10:19:24 AM »

Raising Arizona is an incredible movie.

I love the music in it. An additional bonus is nic cage in a role that makes him look like....nic cage (i.e. a psycho)

I started watching The Wire last night.... so good. Lot of good performances so far.

Movies I want to see:
Tron
True Grit
I love you phillip morris
black swan
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1651 on: December 19, 2010, 12:48:08 PM »

Raising Arizona
I love it.
AND
Quite possibly the best quote from any movie of all time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6k2FkUF41AA
I thought "warthog from hell" could have had a potentially really good backstory too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaSnwgJ_xQM

edit: btw Yoda, you need to watch this to understand Twilight.
everyone needs to see it, actually

OMG I fucken love that movie! haha
I love the Apoca Biker, the poor scene where he blows up the bunny made me both super sad and super... laughy..!

Watched Pride & Prejudice (Keira Knightley, 2007).  Wonderful adaption of the book...and far shorter than the book (thank god; one time with a Jane Austen novel is enough).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1652 on: December 19, 2010, 04:27:27 PM »

I watched "The Town" last night. It was pretty rad, if a touch predictable.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: December 20, 2010, 12:08:23 PM »

Saw Tron: Legacy last night, and I'm gonna second Dice's review.  I thought it was cool!  Perfect?  Nah.  But worth watching.  My biggest complaint was with the sound.  It was really, really loud.  I wear earplugs at the movies because they're so loud, and there were times when it was too loud even with earplugs in.  Of course, I might blame that partly on the theater.  Also, there were times when the echo and "robot voice" effects were turned up way too high, and I couldn't figure out what was being said, earplugs or no earplugs.

OK, one other minor gripe: if they wanted David Bowie to be a character in the movie, they should have just asked David Bowie to be in the movie!  That guy's up for anything, and he does a good job!  (Remember his cameo in Zoolander?  They just wrote that into the script, then said "Hey, David Bowie - you don't know us, but do you want to be in our movie?"  And he said "Sure!"  Because Bowie is awesome.)

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1654 on: December 20, 2010, 04:38:41 PM »

Saw Tron: Legacy last night, and I'm gonna second Dice's review.  I thought it was cool!  Perfect?  Nah.  But worth watching.  My biggest complaint was with the sound.  It was really, really loud.  I wear earplugs at the movies because they're so loud, and there were times when it was too loud even with earplugs in.  Of course, I might blame that partly on the theater.  Also, there were times when the echo and "robot voice" effects were turned up way too high, and I couldn't figure out what was being said, earplugs or no earplugs.

OK, one other minor gripe: if they wanted David Bowie to be a character in the movie, they should have just asked David Bowie to be in the movie!  That guy's up for anything, and he does a good job!  (Remember his cameo in Zoolander?  They just wrote that into the script, then said "Hey, David Bowie - you don't know us, but do you want to be in our movie?"  And he said "Sure!"  Because Bowie is awesome.)

That might just be your threatre.  Some of the ones I'm in are too quiet - which has a way of making comedies less effective, IMO.  Glad you liked Tron too, though.  Definitely not worth any of the bad rap it's getting for I wouldn't even know what..

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: December 20, 2010, 04:49:27 PM »

I thought Tron Legacy was the best music video I've ever seen.

As a movie? The plot was pretty much a total mess but who really cares about that, I highly doubt anybody was walking in expecting Shakespeare.

The actions sequences were a mixed bag - there were a couple of really awesome actions sequences (the disc wars were amazing), but the light cycle sequence I thought was disappointing. I couldn't tell where anybody was in relation to each other spatially because there were so many quick cuts between different characters. Things just randomly appeared when it was necessary for an explosion.

However the light jets were freaking fantastic.

Finally, I was actually really disappointed by the use of the 3D - I actually expected a lot more. I went with a crew of 7 other people that all saw Avatar together and we agreed that the previews before Tron (particularly the one with the animals) used 3D more effectively than the actual feature did. That was by far the most surprising thing to me - I expected to have my mind blown by the effects like I had in Avatar (a movie that frankly I could not tell you what actually happened in, I was too busy giggling like a kid at the awesomeness of the tech) and it came up very short (with a couple of notable exceptions I won't bring up in case of spoiler potential).

But all told I'm glad I saw it in the IMAX if I was going to watch it at all. Without the incredible soundtrack I would have fallen asleep though like my wife did. :-)
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1656 on: December 20, 2010, 10:29:11 PM »

Saw "Catfish" today: thought it was a great mixture of humor and creepiness. Not a very long film at all (about an hour and a half?) and the documentary style is very easy to get into. I'd recommend it to anyone with a Facebook account, really. :P

Probably going to see The Tourist or Tron tomorrow. I'll flip a coin or something.

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1657 on: December 22, 2010, 06:47:38 PM »

I watched Perrier's Bounty and Logan's Run today.  Both weren't that great.  Perrier's Bounty had its moments for sure, and I think the father character is by far the best, but overall it wasn't all that impressive.  Unfortunate because I really like Cillian Murphy and Brendan Gleeson.  Logan's Run was just shit though.  There is only one scene that I thought was any good and even that was only marginally good.  Overall it was just really stupid.  I couldn't figure out what the movie was trying to say and I think it wasn't trying to say anything but look really pretty which may have been great back in 76 but it is obviously quite dated today.
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1658 on: December 22, 2010, 08:07:36 PM »

I'm watching LoTR. Love the books and movies soooo much. But goddamn are the Ringwraiths the worst bad guys ever?

"Ew I don't want to get wet!"

"Hobbits aren't in this room...nah lets not search across the street or whatever"

"We're undead kings, but this one guy w/ a torch is too much to handle, PEACE OUT"

I watched Perrier's Bounty and Logan's Run today.  Both weren't that great.  Perrier's Bounty had its moments for sure, and I think the father character is by far the best, but overall it wasn't all that impressive.  Unfortunate because I really like Cillian Murphy and Brendan Gleeson.  Logan's Run was just shit though.  There is only one scene that I thought was any good and even that was only marginally good.  Overall it was just really stupid.  I couldn't figure out what the movie was trying to say and I think it wasn't trying to say anything but look really pretty which may have been great back in 76 but it is obviously quite dated today.

I saw Logan's Run as a kid. Thought the chick was hot
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #1659 on: December 23, 2010, 11:57:37 AM »

Now that you mention it, yeah, they kind of are.  I've been listening to the BBC radio series of LotR lately.  I'm getting close to the end, and it finally occurred to me to wonder just who Bill Nighy plays.  Turns out he's Sam!  Blew me away.  Never noticed it was him, and I'm into the 500 endings.  Of course, Ian Holm (Frodo) doesn't really sound like himself either, I don't think.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1660 on: December 23, 2010, 03:25:49 PM »

Resident Evil: Afterlife.  Quite possibly the worst one yet. What a disappointment.:(

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1661 on: December 24, 2010, 01:27:02 AM »

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure (link goes to a well made Inception/Bill and Ted trailer)
I feel like I've seen this movie too many times, but it is excellent (pun intended)

Beetle Juice
Again, I've seen it maybe too many times but I love it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvT1wym97qo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj_inlzsDhQ

Gladiator
Sadder than Life is Beautiful and a billion times better than that dumb 2010 Robin Hood.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1662 on: December 24, 2010, 07:59:26 PM »

Bill and Ted made me happy because it was on the cooler half of movies that were potentially allowed in school... that or my high schooling system has failed us.

Beetlejuice is always weird and awesome, the cartoon never did it justice and would love another title....but...

I watched Disney's Tangled.  Wonderful movie, much better than I expected and was a ton of fun and brilliantly animated (the sheer length and movement of hair must have been developmental hell).  As much as I respect Disney's efforts to bring back songs into the film, the tunes in this were mediocre at best - they lack any sort of catchy melody, and feel like they have been done by previous Disney teens... a real waste of Mandy Moore's ability to act and sing beautifully.  Maximus (the horse) was hands down the best character.

Great movie, wonderful Disney production, nice to have them back.
Again, the songs suck, they're no "under the sea", "whole new world", and have nothing on the classics heard in Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty - those were classics.

Sorry... I love Disney, takes me back, and the happy endings (that children know, not what us adults associate with asian masseuse) always put a smile on my face.

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #1663 on: December 24, 2010, 08:32:14 PM »

I <3 Bill & Ted.  Of course, I even like Bogus Journey. :)

Watched Surrogates today.  Thought it was pretty decent.  Some of the plot twists even surprised me, which is always nice.

Don't think I've mentioned this, but Dice's horse comment reminded me: I've been watching Brisco County, Jr. lately.  Got lucky and found a used copy of the series on DVD for under half the price it usually runs for new.

Now, I just need to stumble across a cheap copy of that crappy series they did of the Flash.  That's always $80 or $90, for some reason.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1664 on: December 25, 2010, 01:11:27 AM »

Beetlejuice is +1's favorite movie.

We saw Black Swan today. that was interesting....

more thoughts to follow
Pages: 1 ... 109 110 [111] 112 113 ... 258 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: