Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 03:54:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318867 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 244 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 333488 times)
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1815 on: February 18, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »

The Kings Speech is a front runner for all sorts of awards.
Shakespeare in Love won Best Picture.
Every year all sorts of British people are nominated for Academy awards. Sure, it is a big old Hollywood fluff fest, but I've never thought it ignored the British. Definitely the rest of the world, though. This being said, Never Let Me Go is a small movie, so I'm really not surprised.

Do other countries nominate American movies for their awards? Shouldn't British movies really fall under the "foreign" category? Just because they speak English, they can be on the same level as American made movies? It's all a big old cluster, and makes little sense.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1816 on: February 18, 2011, 11:28:43 AM »

I think my review for Never Let Me Go a number of pages back was about the exact same.  I hear novel-readrs weren't as fond, and I'm going to have to say (I didn't read it myself, but this is something that readers usually do complain about) is that it definitely should have been longer.  I loved it too - I think I had tears building up in my eyes after they see their old principle.  Seeing her in a wheelchair - do you think she rejected clone donations???

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1817 on: February 18, 2011, 12:26:02 PM »

The Kings Speech is a front runner for all sorts of awards.
Shakespeare in Love won Best Picture.
Every year all sorts of British people are nominated for Academy awards. Sure, it is a big old Hollywood fluff fest, but I've never thought it ignored the British. Definitely the rest of the world, though. This being said, Never Let Me Go is a small movie, so I'm really not surprised.

Do other countries nominate American movies for their awards? Shouldn't British movies really fall under the "foreign" category? Just because they speak English, they can be on the same level as American made movies? It's all a big old cluster, and makes little sense.

Like I said, very few are nominated, even from England. Forgot about Shakespeare in Love though and Slumdog Millionaire, so a few did slip through the cracks. But it is mostly British movies (as far as foreign film goes). And I know British people are awarded and nominated for Academy Awards, but more often than not it's for a Hollywood film. And I know a few years back a French Film was nominated for Best Picture.

And even though the Academy is American, the Academy Award is not solely for American movies. It's a general film award and as such there is no category for Foreign Film, only a category for Foreign Language Film. Other countries have national awards, but they have categories for Foreign Film that American movies have won (and more often than not tend to overwhelm as well).

That said, major film awards from other countries (that is the ones that tend to get looked at with international prestige) tend to be from the big film festivals (Cannes, Berlin, Venice, etc.) which don't affiliate with any country and any movie can win so long as they meet entry requirements. It is a big clusterfuck, but that's what it is really.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1818 on: February 18, 2011, 07:45:30 PM »

Soylent Freaking Green.

It had its moments, but it wasn't mindblowing.  Not even because I already knew the twist.  There's this whole thing where women serve as "furniture."  Basically, a live-in whore who comes with the apartment.  That was actually more disturbing than the thing we were supposed to be bothered by.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1819 on: February 18, 2011, 09:30:47 PM »

Haven't been keeping up w/ this thread whatsoever but... you know what movie wasn't good?

The Social Network.

Also, @Azreal and Mickeymac... prepare to be disappointed by Perfect Blue.
I loved Millennium Actress but... Perfect Blue sucks. Could tell you why but it would spoil the movie... in that the entire plot of the movie is what I didn't like.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1820 on: February 18, 2011, 10:52:57 PM »

Haven't been keeping up w/ this thread whatsoever but... you know what movie wasn't good?

The Social Network.

Also, @Azreal and Mickeymac... prepare to be disappointed by Perfect Blue.
I loved Millennium Actress but... Perfect Blue sucks. Could tell you why but it would spoil the movie... in that the entire plot of the movie is what I didn't like.

Agreed about that actually.  While still a good work of his, it definitely suffered and didn't age all that well.  One freaky part gave me goosebumps though.

I do full-heartedly recommend finding "Memories" by whatever mean's...(hurhur) just for Satoshi Kon's feature "Magnetic Rose".  I was squeezing my pillow so tight by the end - it was amazing.  It's 45 minutes long, and definitely give s whole new meaning to Space Opera.... because it literally-izes it???  Shame the movie is so hard to find actually (mind you, the first segment, Kon's segment, was the best... so it's downhill after that...)

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1821 on: February 18, 2011, 11:01:06 PM »

The Man From Nowhere.

So awesome.

And now I don't think of Won Bin as just a pretty face. He was so fucking badass in this movie.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1822 on: February 18, 2011, 11:07:00 PM »

The Social Network.

What? The movie was so well made, it's downright indisputable. If you simply didn't like the topic or theme, or whatever, that's fine, but the writing, directing, music, we're ALL stellar. I never thought I would like it as much as I did. Great film.
Hell, the first scene alone is frickin' brilliant.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1823 on: February 18, 2011, 11:13:51 PM »

The Social Network.

What? The movie was so well made, it's downright indisputable. If you simply didn't like the topic or theme, or whatever, that's fine, but the writing, directing, music, we're ALL stellar. I never thought I would like it as much as I did. Great film.
Hell, the first scene alone is frickin' brilliant.

Well yeah, it's David Fincher, everything in your post following "but the" was great. I just did not walk away from that film with any insight into anything whatsoever. I actually thought it was kind of annoying how well made it was considering how hollow and incredibly uninteresting its content actually was.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1824 on: February 19, 2011, 11:32:25 AM »

Having recently read his dark materials we netflixed the golden compass just to see how they did. Hopes weren't high based on reviews and the fact that the series was abandoned.

Good:
-all the actors/actresses were perfectly cast. I think that the girl that played Lyra was perfect
-Nicole Kidman looked good and was good in her roll
-Pan was cute as hell. I loved his little voice and the cute sounds he made
-a great looking movie
-excellent knit costumes on lyra (my +1 is a knitter and she pointed out all the handmade gyptian garb lyra had on)

bad:
altered storyline
horrible ending which made no sense
the witches weren't as hot as i imagined them in the book
they took out a lot of the story dealing w/ kids and dust
all around dumbed down
Also, it seemed to try and steal some stylistic cues from the HP series (green fireplaces?!)

Oh well. Not a good book -> movie adaption.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1825 on: February 19, 2011, 06:06:56 PM »

I told ya so!

Though I agree about the look, it was a very well shot and acted movie. Lyra was very good.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1826 on: February 19, 2011, 06:28:15 PM »

Did you hear the douchechilling song during the credits?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcGaDlGPBsk

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1827 on: February 19, 2011, 06:30:16 PM »

Kate Bush can do no wrong!

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1828 on: February 19, 2011, 06:32:11 PM »

Oh. I forgot, you are gay.

Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1829 on: February 19, 2011, 06:35:28 PM »

Oh. I forgot, you are gay.

My homogayatude has nothing to do with it.

She. Can. Do. No. Wrong.

End of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsdIj1PZO6I

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Pages: 1 ... 120 121 [122] 123 124 ... 244 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: