Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 04:50:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334755 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 258 Print
Author Topic: Recently Viewed Movies Episode 2: The Vampire Bites Back  (Read 376420 times)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2310 on: January 31, 2012, 10:08:25 PM »

Saw "The Shawshank Redemption" (wonderful as always) and "The Help" yesterday. The latter was good. I liked it and I liked that a lot of it is the way I visualized the book to be; but the book is still infinitely better. They cut out some of my favourite scenes.

Watched "The Elephant Man" today and thought it was really sad. I cwied. :(

I watched The Help yesterday too. I haven't read the book, but I thought the movie was pretty good. Viola Davis was amazing and I'm glad she is finally getting some more recognition because I've always thought she was under-appreciated. Emma Stone hasn't really been talked about since the awards season has kicked in so I expected here to be kind of mediocre in this, but she was pretty good too. I don't think it deserves a best picture nomination (especially over movies like Drive and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but that's another story), but it's solid and has good messages. 

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #2311 on: February 03, 2012, 12:08:21 PM »

I! AM! NOT! AN! ANIMAL!!!

Holy crap.  I have not seen that movie, so I thought that line just came from Police Squad.  The TV series that spawned the Naked Gun movies.  Here's the relevant clip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFynjrjZG_w&t=6m33s

Re: The Help, I thought this article was pretty freaking interesting.  Here's the first sentence: "You know something very bizarre is going on in Hollywood when the movie 'Rise of Planet of the Apes' tells more about the black experience in America than 'The Help.'"
http://thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/i-wish-i-knew-how-it-would-feel-to-be-free-on-rise-of-planet-of-the-apes-and-the-help/discrimination/2011/08/21/25639

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2312 on: February 05, 2012, 09:50:18 PM »

Super 8 - Talk about frustrating! It was going so well there for awhile. Then the last 15 minutes happened.
It's obvious Spielberg and J.J. were going for that 80's Speilberg film vibe, and they nailed it big time. The group of kids. The middle America hometown atmosphere. It was so perfect. Even the mystery behind the accident that happens, and what it unleashed was well done. It's like a amalgamation of E.T., The Goonies, District 9, and all sorts of other Alien/group of kid movies.
Unfortunately, they just couldn't pull it all together in the end. It's ends too quickly, with way too many questions and threads still out there. Maybe if they had another 10-15 minutes it would have helped, but I'm not too sure about that. Apparently they were going for a perfect, sappy ending.
*sighs*
So much lost potential. It gets 3 stars for the first 3/4s of the movie being great. watch it until theres 20 minutes left, then turn it off, and finish it in your head.

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2313 on: February 05, 2012, 09:57:24 PM »

Super 8 - Talk about frustrating! It was going so well there for awhile. Then the last 15 minutes happened.
It's obvious Spielberg and J.J. were going for that 80's Speilberg film vibe, and they nailed it big time. The group of kids. The middle America hometown atmosphere. It was so perfect. Even the mystery behind the accident that happens, and what it unleashed was well done. It's like a amalgamation of E.T., The Goonies, District 9, and all sorts of other Alien/group of kid movies.
Unfortunately, they just couldn't pull it all together in the end. It's ends too quickly, with way too many questions and threads still out there. Maybe if they had another 10-15 minutes it would have helped, but I'm not too sure about that. Apparently they were going for a perfect, sappy ending.
*sighs*
So much lost potential. It gets 3 stars for the first 3/4s of the movie being great. watch it until theres 20 minutes left, then turn it off, and finish it in your head.

I thought it was sloppy in regards to the alien...  he was the mysterious alien, he was apparently a sort-of friendly alien, then he went "Ripley Scott Alien" at other times.

The dad was a waste of any sort of badass too.

Everything else was cool...

Oh, except for the fucking lens flare being in full bloom.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2314 on: February 08, 2012, 11:32:19 AM »

Watched 50/50 last night and I loved it. Three awesome things:

1) seth rogen in the role he's made to be: stoner friend
2) jason gordon levitt
3) anna kendrick whom I have a crush on. What a little cutiepie!

Movie is funny, touching, and a tour de force.

out of
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2315 on: February 11, 2012, 10:37:44 AM »

Midnight in Paris - This movie is a total love letter to Paris. Everything about it just makes you want to go there asap. If more people actually saw this movie I could totally see a tourism boom. It just makes it look so vibrant, romantic, and ethereal. The city itself truly is the star of this movie.
The actual story here is kind of pointless, and the weak point of the movie. I was wondering right from the beginning why Gil and Inez ever got together in the first place, let alone engaged. They are total opposites, and the movie hammers this home rather obnoxiously.
Owen Wilson plays his usual style character, but it fits here. Especially during the nostalgia(flashback? dream?) scenes. He gets to look amazed and have fun. It really is kinda fun to see all these famous people pop up on screen. Picasso! Hemingway! And others, but I won't spoil them all.
The movie never explains exactly what happens at midnight in Paris. Obviously, it was very real for Gil, but as the viewer we are left wondering. The message is crystal clear , though. Live for the now, not for a bygone era that was supposedly better.
Overall, I liked this movie, but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. It's simply about a man finding himself in the backdrop of an amazing city.

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2316 on: February 11, 2012, 08:12:01 PM »

Saw "The Muppets Movie" today! I thought it was really fun. I'm not a huge fan of them but the cameos were delightful, the tunes were catchy and the jokes made me giggle. :D

RE: The Help. I can understand why people don't take its connotations on African American issues seriously; I don't think that's what it tries to do. It's trying to convey feeling in regards to a particular form of relation between the two races. 

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2317 on: February 12, 2012, 02:56:11 PM »

Twilight: Breaking Dawn Pt. 1 - I don't think I need to say much here. It was pretty much just as bad as expected. Bella still looks completely stoned and bored all the time. Edward is still spouting ridiculous lines. We still have totally silly looking wolves that want to eat vampires for some reason. You'd think they would have improved the CG by now, but the wolves still don't look that good. I just don't understand why they didn't go with traditional werewolves. This is especially ridiculous during the scene where the wolves are "talking" to each other. SO laughable!
Plus, the wedding stuff in the beginning went on way too damn long. Considering neither Nan or I have any interest in all that nonsense, this was torture.
This was just an all around bad movie. And yet I'm sure we will watch the last one just to bookend the abuse. Sadistic, I am.

CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2318 on: February 12, 2012, 05:29:06 PM »

You'd think they would have improved the CG by now, but the wolves still don't look that good. I just don't understand why they didn't go with traditional werewolves. This is especially ridiculous during the scene where the wolves are "talking" to each other. SO laughable!

I'm ashamed of myself for knowing this but that's because (coded just in case):

Code:
They aren't supposed to be werewolves. It's revealed in the last half of the final book that although they consider themselves to be werewolves, they're actually spirit wolves. Some kind of native american concept where the tribe takes on the form of an animal spirit; so in their case it's a wolf (could have easily been bear or lion or whatever).

I actually just saw BD: Part One last night too. Eh. Much like the books, none of the movies are particularly good. But I'll prolly see the last film as well. :P

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2319 on: February 12, 2012, 07:29:35 PM »

Twilight: Breaking Dawn Pt. 1 - I don't think I need to say much here. It was pretty much just as bad as expected. Bella still looks completely stoned and bored all the time. Edward is still spouting ridiculous lines. We still have totally silly looking wolves that want to eat vampires for some reason. You'd think they would have improved the CG by now, but the wolves still don't look that good. I just don't understand why they didn't go with traditional werewolves. This is especially ridiculous during the scene where the wolves are "talking" to each other. SO laughable!
Plus, the wedding stuff in the beginning went on way too damn long. Considering neither Nan or I have any interest in all that nonsense, this was torture.
This was just an all around bad movie. And yet I'm sure we will watch the last one just to bookend the abuse. Sadistic, I am.

The wolves talking to each other was so hilarious I couldn't believe it
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2320 on: February 14, 2012, 11:36:03 PM »

The Interrupters didn't get nominated for best documentary? Fuck that shit long and hard.

That's easily one of the most power and eye opening docs I've ever seen. Probably because nobody wants to admit how fucked up inner city life is in America.

If you haven't seen it, change that!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2321 on: February 15, 2012, 12:04:41 AM »

A lot of movies got snubbed...

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Son of Dad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2322 on: February 15, 2012, 12:10:04 AM »

And usually I don't give a damn. But for some reason this time I do.

Seriously though, I can't recommend that with enough gusto
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2323 on: February 15, 2012, 11:06:58 PM »

Robocop.

I like the part where the guy gets covered in toxic waste and mutated. Then a car hits him and he literally explodes into mush.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2324 on: February 16, 2012, 06:50:01 AM »

Robocop is awesome. I hear that a remake is in the works which means there's a 75% chance that they'll destroy another classic:/.  I watched Priest last night. Pretty much middle of the road but they could certainly expand the universe if they so chose.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 258 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: